The Student Room Group

Royal Navy Aircrewman process - my experience

Good morning all,

Going through the 'Armed Forces' thread, I noticed that there weren't too many threads on the RN or indeed Fleet Air Arm selection or indeed the process; so I thought I'd write a log of my experience in the hope that it will save any more similar threads popping up (however I appreciate there are older threads with a similar background).

So, the recruitment process is like any other - you apply online (after having registered your interest either online or via the careers telephone line).

First port of call (no pun intended) is to attend and sit a recruit test (every candidate applying to the RN/RM from Officer to rating have to sit this test).

With a bit of digging and searching on the tinterweb, I found that a pass mark for Aircrewman (and in fact the role of AET) was 72 out of 120.
Now, other roles require different scores and sadly the RN don't publish these scores nor will the careers advisors tell you your score after your RT, there is no need to even know the scores in all honesty as you don't want to aim for that score, the test scoring system is more complex than we think and it doesn't mean if you score X on each test out of the possible 30 marks you'll pass.

Anyway, once you've submitted your online application, you'll receive a phone call or email from your local AFCO advising of a date to sit your RT, included in the email will be a 'PRACTICE' test booklet which they and I will advise everyone to look at and practice.

Now, there are only around 8 questions for each section in the practice booklet, but practise them - get used to the format they're in and most importantly practise against the clock. I cannot advise of this enough, you'll get 9 minutes on average per section in the actual test for 30 questions - this sounds like ample time but I can assure you that time soon flies by and if you've answered only 45-50% of the questions, chances are you won't pass for your role.

The four sections are ;
Reasoning,
Verbal Ability,
Numeracy,
Mechanical Comprehension.

The questions in general aren't difficult, however the time limitations are. You have to work accurately and quickly (I worked it out to no more than 30 seconds per question). If you can't figure it out straight away, move on. You won't get marked down for incorrect answers.

The entire test takes no more than an hour (including very small breaks in between each section).

You'll have your results within 30 minutes of having sat the test. I'm grateful to say I passed for Aircrewman with a reasonably high score.
You'll be debriefed by the Officer/RM in regards to your role and the next steps - which for me was an eye test with my local Boots optician.

Next step is my interview towards the end of this month, after which (all being well) I'll have a local AFCO ME and finally followed by FATS and an in depth medical both at Cranwell.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Please find below details for the Visual requirements to join the Royal Navy.
Visual Acuity 1 is required for prospective Aircrew candidates.

Current Visual Acuity Standards

Standard I (VA1)
Visual acuity to be achieved without correcting lenses Right 6/12N5, Left 6/12N5

Visual acuity to be achieved with correcting lenses Right 6/6N5, Left 6/6N5

Refraction limit:
Total hypermetropia +3.00 sphere
Astigmatism +1.25 cyl
Myopia (in any meridian) -0.75 sphere or cyl +3.00 sphere

Standard 2 (VA2)

Visual acuity to be achieved without correcting lenses Right 6/60, Left <6/60.

Visual acuity to be achieved with correcting lenses Right 6/6N5, Left 6/9N5

Refraction limit
Spectacle correction (in any meridian)
+6.00 sphere sphere or cyl

Standard 3 (VA3)

Visual acuity to be achieved without correcting lenses Right 6/60, Left <6/60

Visual acuity to be achieved with correcting lenses EITHER Right 6/6N5, Left 6/24N10 OR Right 6/9N5, Left 6/18N10 OR Right 6/12N5, 6/12N10.

Refraction limit
Spectacle correction (in any meridian)
+/- 6.00 sphere or cyl

Below VA3, unacceptable for Naval service.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Good luck with your selection mate, hope it goes well. I have a good chum and ex RAF NCA colleague who went over to the dark blue side as Aircrewman on Merlins. Seems to enjoy it, but now that the RAF are getting back into the maritime game after a wee holiday (P8 Poseidon), he's quietly thinking he'd like to jump back.

Big boys new toys? Or systemic problems in the RN.......

You'll never know unless you try it! Crack on shipmate.
Original post by Ikaruss
Good luck with your selection mate, hope it goes well. I have a good chum and ex RAF NCA colleague who went over to the dark blue side as Aircrewman on Merlins. Seems to enjoy it, but now that the RAF are getting back into the maritime game after a wee holiday (P8 Poseidon), he's quietly thinking he'd like to jump back.

Big boys new toys? Or systemic problems in the RN.......

You'll never know unless you try it! Crack on shipmate.

Thanks mate, I'll try to keep everyone posted as it progresses 👍🏻

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi 0902,

Thanks for the info that really helps!

ive applied to the Navy for Observer Aircrew Officer and have my RT early next month, I ll get practicing the questions but seem easy enough just the time constraint to worry about!

I called up the office and they said that after my RT I would go straight into the formal officer interview, theres no mention of it on the email :s.

did you not have an interview after your RT? or have you had your official Interview ? and if so what type of questions did they ask you?

Thanks
Reply 5
Original post by 0902

Astigmatism +1.25 cyl

im not tlooking at signing up, just curious
i have astigmatism, if i ever wanted too, would this mean i couldnt ?
Reply 6
Original post by shawtyb

I'm not an expert, and I don't know what your eye prescription is, but if the astigmatism is outside the limit given then that would exclude you for Naval aircrew duties. Other roles would have different visual acuity limits, so you could be considered for those.
Good luck its interesting. Btw what do they do on the sight test if you have had laser surgery as its so common these days?
Original post by shawtyb

Isn't surgery an option?
Reply 9
Check this RN pdf for basic eligibility requirements:

http://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/~/media/files/cnr-pdfs/eligibility_form_online_version.pdf

Note the eyesight criteria, which mentions laser surgery. As it says, these are the basic eligibility criteria, more stringent ones will apply for certain branches and trades.
Original post by T_Pact2013
Hi 0902,

Thanks for the info that really helps!

ive applied to the Navy for Observer Aircrew Officer and have my RT early next month, I ll get practicing the questions but seem easy enough just the time constraint to worry about!

I called up the office and they said that after my RT I would go straight into the formal officer interview, theres no mention of it on the email :s.

did you not have an interview after your RT? or have you had your official Interview ? and if so what type of questions did they ask you?

Thanks

Hi mate,

The very best of luck with your RT, as you said - the time constraint is the trickiest part, try not to spend anymore than 30 seconds on each question - now timing that is very tricky as the invigilator will have the stopwatch and you'll lose track of what time you started etc etc, so just do your absolute best.

My interview is scheduled for next week; so normally you'll be given a few weeks to a month notice. Sadly, there's not that many RN interview threads on TSR, however Navy-Net (unless you haven't already) have a few threads on there which are incredibly handy.

However, I'll post a thread after my interview - but from what I've heard, they're more interested in knowing about you, why you want to join and the role you've applied for - so know the basics and if you can, delve deep and grab all the knowledge you can.

Then after the interview (all being well that I'm successful) it will be the AFCO AME medical (and as long as there isn't any issues) it'll be FATS at Cranwell.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shawtyb

As Ikaruss mentioned; when you go for your initial eyesight test - you'll be given a sheet to hand to the optician which denotes all the required VA standards and you can always have a look on the interweb and with a bit of digging, you can find the required eyesight for your specific role, however a further test is conducted at Cranwell (those going for Aircrew) which I'm led to believe is more in depth (however I've no experience and only going by word of mouth).

I believe most roles require VA2, however all Aircrew and RM snipers must have VA1.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by 0123456543210
Isn't surgery an option?

f that
Good afternoon all,

Well, having come back from my selection interview for RN Aircrewman with a high pass, I'll go into some detail for all budding RN ratings about the selection interview, what to expect and what's next.

The Interview:

The interview is split into 5 sections;
You and your family/upbringing,
School/education,
Work activities,
Fitness,
Service knowledge.

The interview will last around 45-60 minutes.

The first four sections require near enough no revision as its all about you, your family, your education and your fitness regime. Don't blag your way through, be open & honest and relax. I thoroughly enjoyed my interview, felt relaxed almost immediately and before I knew it, I was done.

The service knowledge section will require some revision. Get yourself some Navy News magazines and look into what the Royal Navy are doing, their equipment and the future of the Navy (my advice)

Most importantly; know your trade training and the training for HMS Raleigh.

Overall, as mentioned - relax and enjoy. Turn up 10 minutes early, wear a suit, have any documents you may need to hand and promote yourself, you're not being arrogant - they want to make sure you're the right person.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest