The Student Room Group

How much do you save/invest a a month?

Scroll to see replies

I'm saving about 50% of my salary. Not of anything in particular other than a bigger deposit.

Original post by Reue
A large chunk of that comes out from pre-tax salary which saves a fair bit.

We certainly aren't starving, but equally we don't waste money in excess.

Are there more than one of you contributing to that saving amount then?
(edited 8 years ago)
When I was working part time: c.£380 a month (out of £600)

Now nothing, I've just ploughed £2.5k into passive ETFs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by SerotoninAddict

Are there more than one of you contributing to that saving amount then?

No, that's just me.
Reply 23
When I first started working was saving about £1000. Nowadays I aim for around £2200/mo.
Original post by Reue
No, that's just me.

Impressive :smile:
I work part-time and save £250 every month + anything leftover. In the summer I will do mega overtime and probably put away £500 a month :biggrin:. I'm looking to save around £2000 for uni in the hopes to keep up my expensive tastes and bills without calling my parents every month for phone, gym and food money.
Original post by NX172
When I first started working was saving about £1000. Nowadays I aim for around £2200/mo.

If you can afford to save £2200 a month then wtf are you earning :O
I currently manage to save £200 into a stocks and shares ISA that (I'm somewhat embarassed to admit) I got help from my dad to set up.

I also save about £50 a month into a bank savings account. That's just to try to keep building a small pot of safety cash 'in case I need it'.

I find it hard to save generally, living in London.
Original post by Lemon Haze
I work part-time and save £250 every month + anything leftover. In the summer I will do mega overtime and probably put away £500 a month :biggrin:. I'm looking to save around £2000 for uni in the hopes to keep up my expensive tastes and bills without calling my parents every month for phone, gym and food money.

expensive tastes such as?
Reply 29
Original post by Lemon Haze
If you can afford to save £2200 a month then wtf are you earning :O

Around 70k, probably a lot more coming due to recent investments, but I won't count them yet.
Original post by NX172

How old are you and what do you work as- and how did you get into it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
£1000/month. Ideally more.
Reply 32
Original post by Marshmallow9999
How old are you and what do you work as- and how did you get into it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm 24, graduated in Comp Sci, found a good job, lived at home, saved money aggressively and invested in property, renovating them and renting them out afterwards.
Original post by Death Grips
expensive tastes such as?

Clothing brands, gadgets (I want a new Mac & Apple TV), I produce music and spend a ton on software etc.

I own a little graphics business on twitter and intend to use that money to pay for extras while in university, well assuming I will still have the time.
I don't save anything for myself these days as I don't really take an income for myself as I'm trying to expand my businesses, I do however put away around £400 per month for each of my kids. Been doing that since they were born, started out with £30 per month for each of them, when they reach 16 they can cash it out for anything they want or if they want to manage it themselves they could too or they could continue keeping it with me and grow it at the same rate, when they reach 18 if the money is still there then it is doubled and I tell them it will grow at 5% per year in addition to the contribution.

My eldest at 16 decided to let me keep it, then when she turned 18 she took out a grand total of £50 to buy us a Nando's then asked me to continue holding it. My 2nd turned 16 recently and didn't want to know how much was there.

Other than that, I have a pensions plan that I put around £800 per month towards, no other savings as am trying to reduce debt.
I usually save £600-£800 a month.
Im saving for quite a few things, including a house, another car and a classic mini.
£86 DD a month. I put any left over money at the end of the month in savings and I also put any odd jobs money straight in savings. Will be saving a lot more when I have a job.
I leave £1000 in my current account when I get paid and save everything else.
I'm not really saving for anything in particular but I'll probably spend most of what I have when I go to Australia this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NX172
Around 70k, probably a lot more coming due to recent investments, but I won't count them yet.

I'm really interested on what you're doing. I read that you only pay the interest of the mortgage, so is the rest of your income from property tax deductible or is there a way to avoid it?
Original post by Alfissti
I don't save anything for myself these days as I don't really take an income for myself as I'm trying to expand my businesses, I do however put away around £400 per month for each of my kids. Been doing that since they were born, started out with £30 per month for each of them, when they reach 16 they can cash it out for anything they want or if they want to manage it themselves they could too or they could continue keeping it with me and grow it at the same rate, when they reach 18 if the money is still there then it is doubled and I tell them it will grow at 5% per year in addition to the contribution.

My eldest at 16 decided to let me keep it, then when she turned 18 she took out a grand total of £50 to buy us a Nando's then asked me to continue holding it. My 2nd turned 16 recently and didn't want to know how much was there.

Other than that, I have a pensions plan that I put around £800 per month towards, no other savings as am trying to reduce debt.

I'm assuming this is money you've saved for them outside of future uni fees/living costs?

Why would you give them control over the money you've saved for them at 16 though?

Surely its better to entrust it to them once they've graduated, got a job and are independent, and are less likely to be frivolous with money?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending