The Student Room Group

Can you make massive money in investment banking?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by King Scorchy
All I'm saying is that if you try, you can make billions of pounds.

And it's not difficult either.

The same goes for lots of things. If you wanted to become a rocket scientist, all you need to do is learn how to do it. Same with making billions.

You really remind me of one of those guys who sells those 'get quick rich' schemes/presentations/books and gets everyone screaming your name and clapping 'I can do it'. In fact, this will probably be how you become a billionaire.

Becoming a billionaire is not the same thing as investing in, and learning a skill.

Becoming a billionaire has a huge luck component inter-related to it - it requires strong connections, influential backers, not failing at funding rounds, having a good idea that is sustainable, constantly adapting that idea, not having a large corporate steal that idea, being in the right place, expert problem solving, inspirational design, correct timing, correct marketing, being likeable, ensuring you're not diluted, etc. and thousands more factors.

The reason there are less than 2,000 billionaires in the world out of 7,000,000,000 people is because the odds are massively stacked against you.

Sure, it's easy enough to make a good amount of money - and even becoming a millionaire is reasonably achievable - but billionaire is something different. You have to impact the world in a very significant way.

Even a millionaire is not 'easy' - there are only about 750,000 in the UK out of 65,000,000. And some of those are lottery winners.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Commercial Paper
You really remind me of one of those guys who sells those 'get quick rich' schemes/presentations/books and gets everyone screaming your name and clapping 'I can do it'. In fact, this will probably be how you become a billionaire.

Becoming a billionaire is not the same thing as investing in, and learning a skill.

Becoming a billionaire has a huge luck component inter-related to it - it requires strong connections, influential backers, not failing at funding rounds, having a good idea that is sustainable, constantly adapting that idea, not having a large corporate steal that idea, being in the right place, expert problem solving, inspirational design, correct timing, correct marketing, being likeable, ensuring you're not diluted, etc. and thousands more factors.

The reason there are less than 2,000 billionaires in the world out of 7,000,000,000 people is because the odds are massively stacked against you.

Sure, it's easy enough to make a good amount of money - and even becoming a millionaire is reasonably achievable - but billionaire is something different. You have to impact the world in a very significant way.

Even a millionaire is not 'easy' - there are only about 750,000 in the UK out of 65,000,000. And some of those are lottery winners.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's obvious that this guys is a consumer of success seminars and self help books
Original post by Guls
True but you can't do an infinite amount infinite things. Your weak. I'm weak. Everyone's weak. All because we need sleep.

It's true that you can't do an infinite amount of things, but there are infinite options in life. We need sleep but we still have a hell of a lot of time.

Original post by leavingthecity
Mate, making billions is not a discipline. It's a by product of getting other things right, like rocket science for example, get that right and you can make good money. I work with a guy with a masters in rocket science. Not everyone has the capability to learn that, and even less have the commercial sense and luck to make a lot of money from it.

You are spouting utter rubbish.

Okay, when you say that not everyone has the capability to learn that, perhaps that's true - but I would say that most do. And the very smart ones have an even greater capacity - so much so that, for them, rocket science is easy to learn.

Original post by Commercial Paper

You say that there are less than 2,000 billionaires in the world out of 7,000,000 - you could say the same about people that are on the leading edges of their fields in science. If someone simply devotes their life to something, they'll (virtually always) get it.

If you need strong connections, make them. If you need influential backers, find them. If you need to not fail at funding rounds, learn how not to. If you need a good idea that is sustainable, find one.

And so on and so forth. If you just go much further than everyone else, devote much more time than everyone else, learn much more than everyone else and simply do everything much better and with much more effort, you'll succeed.

It's simply that most people are weak/lazy. Just do everything better than everyone else.

Say there's a smart person who makes a lot of money and works 10 hours a day, researching how to better invest his money. You could simply look at him and say "I'm going to work 14 hours a day, and not only that, I'm going to learn how to use those 14 hours even better than he ever would, researching deeper, further, better" and the like.

If someone has strong connections, you can look at them and say "Well sir, I'm just going to go out there and find even better connections, and more of them, and build stronger links with them"

And so on. I'm just saying simple things but it shows how you can always succeed.

Like in school, if someone is always coming top of the class you could simply say "I'm going to do it even better" and you'll come out on top. If you couldn't do it at first (which you probably could), you could simply learn to be even smarter than that person.

And it's the same with many things in life, making billions included.

It's obvious that this guys is a consumer of success seminars and self help books

Nope. It's simply that most people are ignorant and share the same 'I can't do it, it's luck' view. It's not!
It's true that you can't do an infinite amount of things, but there are infinite options in life. We need sleep but we still have a hell of a lot of time.

Okay, when you say that not everyone has the capability to learn that, perhaps that's true - but I would say that most do. And the very smart ones have an even greater capacity - so much so that, for them, rocket science is easy to learn.

You say that there are less than 2,000 billionaires in the world out of 7,000,000 - you could say the same about people that are on the leading edges of their fields in science. If someone simply devotes their life to something, they'll (virtually always) get it.

If you need strong connections, make them. If you need influential backers, find them. If you need to not fail at funding rounds, learn how not to. If you need a good idea that is sustainable, find one.

And so on and so forth. If you just go much further than everyone else, devote much more time than everyone else, learn much more than everyone else and simply do everything much better and with much more effort, you'll succeed.

It's simply that most people are weak/lazy. Just do everything better than everyone else.

Say there's a smart person who makes a lot of money and works 10 hours a day, researching how to better invest his money. You could simply look at him and say "I'm going to work 14 hours a day, and not only that, I'm going to learn how to use those 14 hours even better than he ever would, researching deeper, further, better" and the like.

If someone has strong connections, you can look at them and say "Well sir, I'm just going to go out there and find even better connections, and more of them, and build stronger links with them"

And so on. I'm just saying simple things but it shows how you can always succeed.

Like in school, if someone is always coming top of the class you could simply say "I'm going to do it even better" and you'll come out on top. If you couldn't do it at first (which you probably could), you could simply learn to be even smarter than that person.

And it's the same with many things in life, making billions included.

Nope. It's simply that most people are ignorant and share the same 'I can't do it, it's luck' view. It's not!

Most people cannot learn rocket science. Fact.

Tell us again when you get there kid.
Most people cannot learn rocket science. Fact.

Tell us again when you get there kid.

Most people can learn rocket science.

As they devoted more and more time to learning it, their brains would grow to adapt to learning it - it's human nature.

Just like learning to play the guitar - most people can become excellent players - only illness and the like would hold someone back.
Most people can learn rocket science.

As they devoted more and more time to learning it, their brains would grow to adapt to learning it - it's human nature.

Just like learning to play the guitar - most people can become excellent players - only illness and the like would hold someone back.

Hahahaa what?

Do you even know what rocket science is?!

You know, average IQ is a real thing....not everyone can do everything.

Sorry, I am very musical, most people cannot become excellent. Practice will make you technically very good, but you will find your ceiling. Those with a certain natural aptitude become excellent. Can you even play the guitar?!
Hahahaa what?

Do you even know what rocket science is?!

You know, average IQ is a real thing....not everyone can do everything.

Sorry, I am very musical, most people cannot become excellent. Practice will make you technically very good, but you will find your ceiling. Those with a certain natural aptitude become excellent. Can you even play the guitar?!

I can't play the guitar, but I know how mastery works.

If those people that found their ceiling sat back and said "Now, I'm going to smash this ceiling, change the way I'm thinking and take it to the next level" they simply would. That's the way the brain works! You simply can't 'top out' unless you get ill.
I can't play the guitar, but I know how mastery works.

If those people that found their ceiling sat back and said "Now, I'm going to smash this ceiling, change the way I'm thinking and take it to the next level" they simply would. That's the way the brain works! You simply can't 'top out' unless you get ill.

No, sorry, I'm not boasting but you've never picked up a guitar and this is another example of you talking rubbish. You would not, unless you were of the same natural ability as I, be able to play the (bass) guitar as I can. You could try, but my brain is wired in such a way that means that you can practice all you like but I will learn a hell of a lot faster than you, so that by the time we are elderly and arthritic and cannot play anymore, I will have ultimately achieved much more than you. My style of playing will be far more sophisticated and natural than yours too, and that only comes from natural ability to understand music. Anyone here can say the same thing for their own area of talent.
No, sorry, I'm not boasting but you've never picked up a guitar and this is another example of you talking rubbish. You would not, unless you were of the same natural ability as I, be able to play the (bass) guitar as I can. You could try, but my brain is wired in such a way that means that you can practice all you like but I will learn a hell of a lot faster than you, so that by the time we are elderly and arthritic and cannot play anymore, I will have ultimately achieved much more than you. My style of playing will be far more sophisticated and natural than yours too, and that only comes from natural ability to understand music. Anyone here can say the same thing for their own area of talent.

I could get up to your level, especially if I devoted even more time to it.

If you only played a few hours a day and I played, say, 14 hours a day, 7 days a week, I'd simply learn faster and I'd be able to surpass you for the simple fact that you wouldn't devote enough time and effort to it - unless you really did play that much, but only a rare few do.

So, if I started today and done nothing but play bass, I would become a master. I'm still young so I've got a hell of a long time. And I could surpass people who have over 10 years experience (if not even 20), because they simply wouldn't play so long and with so much effort put in.

It's the same with many things in life.
I could get up to your level, especially if I devoted even more time to it.

If you only played a few hours a day and I played, say, 14 hours a day, 7 days a week, I'd simply learn faster and I'd be able to surpass you for the simple fact that you wouldn't devote enough time and effort to it - unless you really did play that much, but only a rare few do.

So, if I started today and done nothing but play bass, I would become a master. I'm still young so I've got a hell of a long time. And I could surpass people who have over 10 years experience (if not even 20), because they simply wouldn't play so long and with so much effort put in.

It's the same with many things in life.

You could certainly get very good technically, but I can learn it and practice it without even touching it
because my brain works like that, this can literally happen in dreaming at night, my brain can also be creative and compose in a way that some people cannot. To balance this out...I am very bad at some things, I'm probably quite dyslexic, no matter how hard I practice, I am not going to be as good at some things as others. I'll find a way to be very good, but my brain is just wired differently. That's life/nature/biology/neuroscience for you I'm afraid.

Full disclosure: I haven't played in a few years!
You could certainly get very good technically, but I can learn it and practice it without even touching it
because my brain works like that, this can literally happen in dreaming at night, my brain can also be creative and compose in a way that some people cannot. To balance this out...I am very bad at some things, I'm probably quite dyslexic, no matter how hard I practice, I am not going to be as good at some things as others. I'll find a way to be very good, but my brain is just wired differently. That's life/nature/biology/neuroscience for you I'm afraid.

Full disclosure: I haven't played in a few years!

Well, you sound naturally gifted.

I wonder if naturally gifted people are always really attractive?

Some people are naturally gifted mathematicians and are rocket scientists. You cannot learn to be like them.
Some people are naturally gifted mathematicians and are rocket scientists. You cannot learn to be like them.

I so can. It's human nature!
I so can. It's human nature!

I don't know your academic background, but there are people who are not that capable in the world. You may be very good at it but not everyone is.
Regarding the guitar analogy, it gets to a point where investing more time into learning starts to lead to diminishing returns. You talk about human nature but people are biologically different. If you train really hard to run fast you'll run extremely fast by yours or even most people's standards but probably never reach Usain bolt levels. For me as an athlete, I work very hard on my aerobic endurance (and it's very good by average standards) but my capacity for speed and explosive power will always be greater than my capacity for aerobic endurance. Getting back to the billionaire point, no doubt it's possible (most things are) but there are crucial several factors that are complete outside of your control as an individual, to assume otherwise is misguided at best and arrogance at worst.

x

this is too cute
Original post by gr8wizard10
this is too cute

Haha very funny

* this never happened.
Haha very funny

* this never happened.

give him a chance, he seems to know what he's doing. besides.. you'd be rich :h:
Original post by gr8wizard10
give him a chance, he seems to know what he's doing. besides.. you'd be rich :h:

This is literally the worst advice I've ever received.

Plus, he is you.
This is literally the worst advice I've ever received.

Plus, he is you.

:eek: how did you know.. illuminati confirmed

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending