The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

I'm an italian student looking for a chinese and business or similar degree

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I said you're right but listening to a cd player isn't like listening to a person, many grammar concepts are unuseful like in italian.. and these tests ask you some unusful quesions ..
Original post by super_kawaii
The tests are essential for universities however, as they can't accept students who do not have a suitable level of English, as if students can't speak English to a suitable level, they will end up failing the course, which does not reflect well on the universities. These tests are a legal requirement which you must pass before you can be permitted to study.

For some reason you don't seem to be quoting me correctly so I never get the notification you've replied
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by martinaxx
I said you're right but listening to a cd player isn't like listening to a person, many grammar concepts are unuseful like in italian.. and these tests ask you some unusful quesions ..

Ultimately you'll never get the practice with a person when you're not in a country where it's the official language. You should practise for these tests as much as you can so you get the grade you need, then when you're in the UK, you'll get all the practice with native speakers in a native environment as you want, provided you actually leave your non home student bubble
I'm studying in birmingham. here is a link thatmight be helpful. Where you from?
hi everyone, I still have one year to study at high school but I had a look on the UCAS website. I want to do a business and mandarin degree course, or mandarin with something about economy.
Do you know a good university to apply at?
I'd like to stay in a city, not expensive, with great nightlife and activities to do in the day, many green areas and friendly people.
what about these uni:birmingham, Leeds,manchester, Sheffield, lancashire,newcaste, edinburgh,hertfordshire, Nottingham.
I can apply 5 uni, I'm an international students so.. don't know anything.

many thanks guys

hi everyone, I still have one year to study at high school but I had a look on the UCAS website. I want to do a business and mandarin degree course, or mandarin with something about economy.
Do you know a good university to apply at?
I'd like to stay in a city, not expensive, with great nightlife and activities to do in the day, many green areas and friendly people.
what about these uni:birmingham, Leeds,manchester, Sheffield, lancashire,newcaste, edinburgh,hertfordshire, Nottingham.
I can apply 5 uni, I'm an international students so.. don't know anything.

many thanks guys
Original post by super_kawaii
Chinese studies is a very rare course so it's highly likely you'll get accepted, especially at Sheffield.

You should think about how much of the language you want to learn as some unis focus more on language than at others. For example, Sheffield has a very intense focus on language over the 4 years, with students reaching HSK6 at the end of their degree, whereas I have a friend studying Chinese studies at Nottingham, which is only 3 years long, the year abroad is taught completely in English and in your 3rd year, Chinese language modules are completely optional! For me, the course at Nottingham would be a COMPLETE waste of money, as for me, language ability is important.

Could EU students ever get maintenance loans?

Anything which has studies at the end is a cultural degree not a language degree, so it's just the equivalent of the East Asian studies course at Sheffield. If they were doing Chinese instead then they would have to learn the language.
OP you could study economics or Business at Sheffield and then take Mandarin modules as part of your degree or on top of it via Language for All, I think they go up to HSK4 although if you took the business chinese courses as well and did a year abroad in China you might be able to get a little higher.
Original post by Helloworld_95
Anything which has studies at the end is a cultural degree not a language degree, so it's just the equivalent of the East Asian studies course at Sheffield. If they were doing Chinese instead then they would have to learn the language.

You are completely wrong. There are LOADS of language degrees which have 'studies' in the title. Don't assume anything based on the degree title alone, look at the course structure and modules.

Original post by Snufkin
You are completely wrong. There are LOADS of language degrees which have 'studies' in the title. Don't assume anything based on the degree title alone, look at the course structure and modules.

I do Chinese studies with Japanese at Sheffield and it is a LANGUAGE degree. Same with single honours Chinese Studies, Korean Studies and Japanese Studies, as well as joint honours with these degrees. It is the same in the School of Languages and Cultures. The Studies Degrees, e.g. French Studies, Germanic Studies and Hispanic Studies are ALL LANGUAGE degrees. Studies means NOTHING apart from the country focus of the degree
(edited 8 years ago)
OP you could study economics or Business at Sheffield and then take Mandarin modules as part of your degree or on top of it via Language for All, I think they go up to HSK4 although if you took the business chinese courses as well and did a year abroad in China you might be able to get a little higher.

Chinese Studies and Business is an official course at Sheffield and a year abroad is an essential part of the course. Studying Chinese Studies and Business would reach HSK6 by the end of their degree.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending