The Student Room Group

Google AI beats world Go champion in 4 out of 5 games

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35761246

Managed to catch the last 40 minutes or so of the game this morning. Very exciting.

Lee Sedol seemed pretty shook up- his hands were shaking as he was preparing to resign.

Lee previously said he was confident of winning, although he did revise this as the match approached.

There's been a lot of speculation about how it would go over the past few months. I didn't think it would be a clear 5-0 win for Lee Sedol but I wasn't expecting AlphaGo to make such a strong start. I hope Lee Sedol doesn't take too much of a hit to his confidence.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Puddles the Monkey
I hope Lee Sedol doesn't take too much of a hit to his confidence.

This :emo:

I don't want it to be Deep Blue vs Kasparov all over again :moon:
Original post by Nirgilis

I don't want it to be Deep Blue vs Kasparov all over again :moon:

It already is!
It already is!

Heaven's above, have you tried to read the Nature paper describing this type of algorithm? :lolwut: . I wonder why Google decided to publish and put this in the public domain rather than protect its development... :holmes:

It's always awkward when Google has more high-impact papers than your supervisor who's been researching at a University for 30 years :lol:
This game is a game changer for ai

Posted from TSR Mobile
Holy :moo: Alpha Go won this morning's match too. Totally nailbiting game! It was a rollercoaster of emotions.

It looks like it might be a straight 5-0 win for Alpha Go.
There was this comment (paraphrased a bit) which I thought was chilling...

"Korean commentators were shocked. They were trying to work out where Lee made a critical mistake but they were having trouble finding one.

So either the mistake is beyond a human's comprehension, or Lee was fated to lose from the beginning."
Does this mean computers can solve scientific problems now?

Can we get it to work on curing cancer? :beard:

Or how about we get it to design an AI. Super computers build (super computers)^2. Future here we come :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Skynet, incoming. Time to build a bunker.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

Can we get it to work on curing cancer? :beard:

I believe they're going to use the algorithm to solve other problems.

I'm sad that Go was just a means to end to them :emo: I hope AlphaGo doesn't go away for ever.

Original post by DiddyDec
Skynet, incoming. Time to build a bunker.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:afraid:
I believe they're going to use the algorithm to solve other problems.

I'm sad that Go was just a means to end to them :emo: I hope AlphaGo doesn't go away for ever.

:afraid:

What happens if we mistreat computers though. Will that be a thing future left wing activists campaign about?

Also computers can dream now :ahee:

They don;t dream about electric sheep though :no: Rather terrifying goat devil dog things :-/

Spoiler

Interesting stuff. A step forward for AI :biggrin:.

Heaven's above, have you tried to read the Nature paper describing this type of algorithm? :lolwut: . I wonder why Google decided to publish and put this in the public domain rather than protect its development... :holmes:

It's always awkward when Google has more high-impact papers than your supervisor who's been researching at a University for 30 years :lol:

I'm afraid it goes beyond my head. But it is interesting that they're willing to release it.

Interestingly, it's possible that I'll be looking a little into machine learning and it's application into medical research as part of my PhD. So... yes! This type of research is underway :holmes:

There was this comment (paraphrased a bit) which I thought was chilling...

"Korean commentators were shocked. They were trying to work out where Lee made a critical mistake but they were having trouble finding one.

So either the mistake is beyond a human's comprehension, or Lee was fated to lose from the beginning."

Considering the game is pretty much instinct, it doesn't surprise me that whatever 'mistake' was made we don't understand... What WOULD be interesting, is getting AlphaGo to re-play the game against itself, and 'suggest' the next best move for Lee given a certain position he was in, and then see how Lee's move compared to the computed best move...

Hell, let's take it a step further and see what happens when AlphaGo plays AlphaGo :tongue:

Original post by Kvothe the arcane

I'm afraid it goes beyond my head. But it is interesting that they're willing to release it.

You and me both... :tongue:

Considering the game is pretty much instinct, it doesn't surprise me that whatever 'mistake' was made we don't understand... What WOULD be interesting, is getting AlphaGo to re-play the game against itself, and 'suggest' the next best move for Lee given a certain position he was in, and then see how Lee's move compared to the computed best move...

It's not really all instinct... there's an element of it but I don't think that's quite right, especially at pro level where they are very very good at reading and calculating how much moves are worth. I keep seeing this instinct thing get mentioned in the press but I don't think it's quite the right way of thinking about Go, or at least it's a bit misleading. :beard:

Hell, let's take it a step further and see what happens when AlphaGo plays AlphaGo :tongue:

AlphaGo has played AlphaGo hundreds of times - that's how it learns :wink:
Interestingly, it's possible that I'll be looking a little into machine learning and it's application into medical research as part of my PhD. So... yes! This type of research is underway :holmes:

Does this means scientists have to worry about their job? :afraid:
Does this means scientists have to worry about their job? :afraid:

Humans need not apply.

We are becoming obsolete :yep:
Humans need not apply.

We are becoming obsolete :yep:

Yeah I've seen that.

Can;t come soon enough. :colone:

We all live like Greek philosophers and upper classes off the back of our robot slaves.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yeah I've seen that.

Can;t come soon enough. :colone:

It's exciting and terrifying. :yikes:

AlphaGo has played AlphaGo hundreds of times - that's how it learns :wink:

Yeah, millions, I think.

This is really amazing. The difference in complexity between chess and go is astronomical. And the AI approach is totally different. Neural networks over brute force.

The weird thing is, nobody knows how AlphaGo does it. Neural networks cannot really be probed to understand strategy or things like that. The computer can learn but cannot tell us how it learns.

The scope for using AI to solve problems of science is amazing, and it really feels like we are on the brink. Some have speculated that we won't have professional scientists or diagnosticians in the future, just people who manage the AI computers!
Original post by chazwomaq
Yeah, millions, I think.

This is really amazing. The difference in complexity between chess and go is astronomical. And the AI approach is totally different. Neural networks over brute force.

The weird thing is, nobody knows how AlphaGo does it. Neural networks cannot really be probed to understand strategy or things like that. The computer can learn but cannot tell us how it learns.

The scope for using AI to solve problems of science is amazing, and it really feels like we are on the brink. Some have speculated that we won't have professional scientists or diagnosticians in the future, just people who manage the AI computers!

It was interesting watching the reaction of Myungwam Kim who's a 9 dan pro reviewing the game for American Go Association... he said he thought that he'd see computer Go take over in his lifetime but that this is "too soon".

It really feels like a significant moment in AI technology. You wouldn't be able to tell AlphaGo was a bot just from playing style - that's quite a big deal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending