The Student Room Group

10 lies about Muslims

Just leaving this here. Video got uploaded 3 days ago and I expect a lot of controversy.

[video="youtube;kq4BFIoPCLI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq4BFIoPCLI[/video]
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Does it worry you that you use the words 'Muslims' and 'Islam' interchangeably, given that you're trying to convince people that they're ignorant about these matters?
Reply 2
Original post by Hydeman
Does it worry you that you use the words 'Muslims' and 'Islam' interchangeably, given that you're trying to convince people that they're ignorant about these matters?

To be honest most of the videos is actually more about Muslims.
Original post by Hydeman

Quite. There is a big difference between "Moslems support violence" and "Islam supports violence".
I lost count of the number of non sequiturs in that video, but just to address the point supposedly proving that Islam does not oppress women: the number of university-educated women in Iran doesn't say anything about whether Islam oppresses women or not.

Even Saudi Arabia has more female graduates than male ones, and I've yet to see anybody (who isn't an Islamist or a sympathiser) argue that women aren't oppressed as a direct consequence of the state religion in Saudi Arabia.
It uses terms muslim\Islam interchangeably.

It take one persons opinion and makes claims that everyone believes this

Item no1

The question was 'do Muslims hate the west' and in rebuttal the question asked was 'what do Muslims admire about the west' these are not comparable and one does not negate the other

For example you could ask me 'name one thing I admire about Islam' and I would could say 'the fact it does not allow usury'

However if you asked me do you hate Islam I would reply 'Yes'.

Very poor on the whole
Original post by Longshot700
I expect a lot of controversy.

if you yourself conflate Moslems and Islam, and post a poorly-argued video that does the same, with a headline picture that shows someone in burqa looking as if they are behind bars, do you really expect to gain anything positive?
Reply 7
Original post by Good bloke
if you yourself conflate Moslems and Islam, and post a poorly-argued video that does the same, with a headline picture that shows someone in burqa looking as if they are behind bars, do you really expect to gain anything positive?

Your opinion.
Your opinion.

It is a fact, not an opinion, that both you and the video conflate Moslems and Islam. It is a fact, not an opinion, that your post contains a prominent picture of someone in a burqa. In fact, what opinion did I express?
Reply 9
It is a fact, not an opinion, that both you and the video conflate Moslems and Islam. It is a fact, not an opinion, that your post contains a prominent picture of someone in a burqa. In fact, what opinion did I express?

Saying it's a fact is also your opinion.
Reply 10
If you ask Muslims 'what they admire about the West' they're not going to say negative things are they. Very clever you might convince a few idiots with this.

No. You used the word "Moslems" in your thread title, and "Islam" in the video title. There definitely is a picture of a person in a burqa prominent in your OP. Those are facts, and you are beginning to look a bit desperate (that is an opinion).
Your opinion.

Isn't that what you wanted?
Reply 13
No. You used the word "Moslems" in your thread title, and "Islam" in the video title. There definitely is a picture of a person in a burqa prominent in your OP. Those are facts, and you are beginning to look a bit desperate (that is an opinion).

Muslim*
Original post by Hussm
Muslim*

*Moslem. Go away.
Reply 15
*Moslem. Go away.

"Go away, I dont like you" sounds like restricting freedom of speech huh.

*Muslim

the sun rises from the east is also my opinion.
Reply 17
I watched it all and I can't even begin to explain how this is worded to manipulate you, one that comes immediately to mind is the oppression of women.

It starts by talking about Britain First. This isn't just a view held by Britain First but now this view has been tainted by a fringe group of racists it becomes much easier to agree with the narrative of the video and dismiss it.

It then says there's no formal requirement of dress, just a question of modesty - True the Burqa was actually a Syrian custom iirc, but it has been widespread adapted by most Islamic countries and plenty of hadith are far more specific than the Quran.

It also conveniently ignores passages which do suggest the oppression of women, such as the testimony of a woman being worth half that of a man.

Based on these lies alone I would absolutely not agree with anything in the video if you are unfamiliar with the subject.
Original post by Hussm

*Muslim

Telling people what words they can or can't use is restricting free speech

the words muslim or moslem are both acceptable in English (as is mohammedan)
Original post by Hussm

*Muslim

no , it just means he doesnt like you. even tho its not possible to tell someone to go away on a public forum.

restricting freedom of speech is the use of violence (or state violence aka the law) to stop someone from saying something.

Quick Reply

Latest