The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Law LLB

I'm applying to Law at Birmingham, with predicted grades of AAA. I know Birmingham are popular for giving out unconditional offers, I was wondering if anyone knows anyone who has received an unconditional for Law, depending on good personal statement, good predicted grades and a satisfactory LNAT score? My subjects are Maths, History and English. Thanks.
I think Law is one of the trickier subjects to get an unconditional for. I got one from UEA with AAA predictions but just got a regular AAA offer from Birmingham. I took Birmingham as my firm choice and managed to get in on AABC. Whether the fact I did four A Levels or because of a couple of issues I had at AS meant they were more likely to let me in on lower grades, I don't know... Quite a few got in on a grade lower than they were originally offered, but I wouldn't expect an unconditional from Birmingham unless you were absolutely outstanding, especially with you being a relatively late applicant
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Original post by ryanhutchings96
I think Law is one of the trickier subjects to get an unconditional for. I got one from UEA with AAA predictions but just got a regular AAA offer from Birmingham. I took Birmingham as my firm choice and managed to get in on AABC. Whether the fact I did four A Levels or because of a couple of issues I had at AS meant they were more likely to let me in on lower grades, I don't know... Quite a few got in on a grade lower than they were originally offered, but I wouldn't expect an unconditional from Birmingham unless you were absolutely outstanding, especially with you being a relatively late applicant

Hi,

How are you finding studying law at UOB,do you think the lecturers are good and engaging and you receive enough support /feedback on your assignments.
What do you like and dislike about your course?

Any feedback would be much appreciated!
Original post by Studybuddy5721
Hi,

How are you finding studying law at UOB,do you think the lecturers are good and engaging and you receive enough support /feedback on your assignments.
What do you like and dislike about your course?

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Obviously it is hard for me to compare as I have studied at UoB and that's it. I am pretty happy though. The uni do put on a lot of extra events regarding careers etc. so that side of it looks pretty promising, and I am pretty happy with all my lecturers. They can vary, and I admit I have had a couple that did a few lectures that just were pretty awful, but when I took the issues I had to my seminar leaders, they were able to clarify.

In first year, the criminal law module is very interesting as it is more about what the law should be rather than just learning what it is. Very engaging stuff personally. The old module leader is on maternity leave but you will likely have her back for at least part of the course next year. She is pretty awesome though!

Feedback can vary somewhat. All feedback is given 3 weeks after the due date, which can sometimes feel an age but it is understandable, and some will give you extensive comments, others will just write "good". It can be frustrating but I imagine that you will get this variation no matter where you go.

UoB for new students is quite exciting though because there is a new library and sports centre opening for September, and they are hugeeeeeee...

Hope that helps a little.
Obviously it is hard for me to compare as I have studied at UoB and that's it. I am pretty happy though. The uni do put on a lot of extra events regarding careers etc. so that side of it looks pretty promising, and I am pretty happy with all my lecturers. They can vary, and I admit I have had a couple that did a few lectures that just were pretty awful, but when I took the issues I had to my seminar leaders, they were able to clarify.

In first year, the criminal law module is very interesting as it is more about what the law should be rather than just learning what it is. Very engaging stuff personally. The old module leader is on maternity leave but you will likely have her back for at least part of the course next year. She is pretty awesome though!

Feedback can vary somewhat. All feedback is given 3 weeks after the due date, which can sometimes feel an age but it is understandable, and some will give you extensive comments, others will just write "good". It can be frustrating but I imagine that you will get this variation no matter where you go.

UoB for new students is quite exciting though because there is a new library and sports centre opening for September, and they are hugeeeeeee...

Hope that helps a little.

THANKS!!

What do you feel about the uni in terms of social life, are people snobby/stuck up, I hope to fit in to the uni and make good friends. How are your experiences like socially?
Also how hard is it to manage a social life whilst maintaining a good work ethic ?
THANKS!!

What do you feel about the uni in terms of social life, are people snobby/stuck up, I hope to fit in to the uni and make good friends. How are your experiences like socially?
Also how hard is it to manage a social life whilst maintaining a good work ethic ?

I am really not the best person to talk to about the social aspect of it all really. I don't drink or go out so that part of it doesn't affect me. I have got to know my seminar group quite well and they are all pretty good people. Naturally you have some snobby people and jokes are always made about those living in the expensive accommodation etc but for most it seems relatively easy to make friends. Most of my friends are from things such as sports (there are A LOT here) and my church so you don't necessarily group with people on your course.

Regarding finding a balance between social life and work, I think it sometimes can be easy as a law student, but other times very hard. With law only having between 10-12 contact hours, you are generally pretty free to work when you want. I try to work 9-5 kind of hours so that my evenings are free, but I also work in schools once or twice a week and my low contact hours means I can move things around a lot more than say, a medic. However, do not underestimate the amount of reading there is! If you want to go to seminars feeling prepared, there is A LOT of reading and sometimes you will have a week where you only need to do <20 hours that week, the next you have to do 60... Also, since so much of it is independent reading, it is very easy to procrastinate!
I am really not the best person to talk to about the social aspect of it all really. I don't drink or go out so that part of it doesn't affect me. I have got to know my seminar group quite well and they are all pretty good people. Naturally you have some snobby people and jokes are always made about those living in the expensive accommodation etc but for most it seems relatively easy to make friends. Most of my friends are from things such as sports (there are A LOT here) and my church so you don't necessarily group with people on your course.

Regarding finding a balance between social life and work, I think it sometimes can be easy as a law student, but other times very hard. With law only having between 10-12 contact hours, you are generally pretty free to work when you want. I try to work 9-5 kind of hours so that my evenings are free, but I also work in schools once or twice a week and my low contact hours means I can move things around a lot more than say, a medic. However, do not underestimate the amount of reading there is! If you want to go to seminars feeling prepared, there is A LOT of reading and sometimes you will have a week where you only need to do <20 hours that week, the next you have to do 60... Also, since so much of it is independent reading, it is very easy to procrastinate!

Thank you for your help!
I feel like I know what to expect now.
Thank you for your help!
I feel like I know what to expect now.

No problem!

If you get any more questions, just throw them at me and I will try my best to answer, but like I said, regarding some things, I am a bit less experienced than others.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending