The Student Room Group

10 lies about Muslims

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by BaconandSauce
Telling people what words they can or can't use is restricting free speech

the words muslim or moslem are both acceptable in English (as is mohammedan)

I'm merely suggesting.
Original post by Longshot700
Just leaving this here. Video got uploaded 3 days ago and I expect a lot of controversy.

[video="youtube;kq4BFIoPCLI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq4BFIoPCLI[/video]

I have never heard a few of these claims.

Most of these were strawmen, taking extreme examples and breaking them down. For example, islamberg isnt a training camp, therefore we dont have to worry about homegrown terrorism.
Original post by Hussm
Muslim*

Original post by Good bloke
*Moslem. Go away.

Original post by Hussm
"Go away, I dont like you" sounds like restricting freedom of speech huh.

*Muslim

Contrary to what a lot of people who're just dying to be offended by something think, there is no one 'correct' spelling of Muslim/Moslem.

It's a transliterated word and can therefore be spelled many different ways without any of them being incorrect. When was the last time a Muslim complained about the dozen different ways that people spell 'Muhammad?'
Reply 23
Original post by HucktheForde
no , it just means he doesnt like you. even tho its not possible to tell someone to go away on a public forum.

restricting freedom of speech is the use of violence (or state violence aka the law) to stop someone from saying something.

So go away has another definition? I thought it meant go away.
No. You used the word "Moslems" in your thread title, and "Islam" in the video title. There definitely is a picture of a person in a burqa prominent in your OP. Those are facts, and you are beginning to look a bit desperate (that is an opinion).

First 2 parts are true, yes. The bit in bold is opinion, see, you're getting better.
Reply 25
Original post by Hydeman
Contrary to what a lot of people who're just dying to be offended by something think, there is no one 'correct' spelling of Muslim/Moslem.

It's a transliterated word and can therefore be spelled many different ways without one of them being incorrect. When was the last time a Muslim complained about the dozen different ways that people spell 'Muhammad?'

I don't get offended by the things on the internet.
Original post by Hussm

i didnt want to say that because he cant make you do that literally. but if you want to interpret it that way, feel free to ... go away.
Original post by Hussm
"Go away, I dont like you" sounds like restricting freedom of speech huh.

*Muslim

Freedom of speech has nothing to do with it. If you wish to make yourself appear foolish with such silly intercessions more power to your elbow, I say.

If you insist on repeatedly tediously interjecting with your specious attempt to get me to spell "Moslem" in the way you want, I'll address why you are being foolish.

"Moslem" was used (and indeed was the only spelling) in English long before "Muslim" and I have never changed the way i spell it. Why should I?

I also use "gaol" where you might use "jail", for instance, and "encyclopaedia" where you probably use "encyclopedia" in an attempt to Americanize the language.

if you are going to criticise people's spelling at least have the nouse to understand what you are talking about.
Original post by Hussm
I'm merely suggesting.

Doesn't look that way it looks like you are telling a poster what words they can or in the case can't use

I'd say 'typical Mohammedan behavior but I'm trying to take the high ground recently (OK so yes I may have to try harder)

But lets leave it there and not take the thread off topic any further
Original post by HucktheForde
the sun rises from the east is also my opinion.

Erm, ok?
Reply 30
Original post by BaconandSauce
Doesn't look that way it looks like you are telling a poster what words they can or in the case can't use

I'd say 'typical Mohammedan behavior but I'm trying to take the high ground recently (OK so yes I may have to try harder)

But lets leave it there and not take the thread off topic any further

You free to express your opinion even if they're crass stereotypes.
Original post by Farm_Ecology
I have never heard a few of these claims.

Most of these were strawmen, taking extreme examples and breaking them down. For example, islamberg isnt a training camp, therefore we dont have to worry about homegrown terrorism.

Similarly comparing all of the murders in the USA and noticing how many have been done in the name of Islam (I also not they are very specific and say after 9/11 and only count Americans murdered in America) does not negate the fact that world wide Islamic terrorism is the biggest issue of our times.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Longshot700
First 2 parts are true, yes. The bit in bold is opinion, see, you're getting better.

I told you that. Is this an echo chamber?

At least you appear to agree that what you previously labelled as opinions are, indeed, facts.
Reply 33
Freedom of speech has nothing to do with it. If you wish to make yourself appear foolish with such silly intercessions more power to your elbow, I say.

If you insist on repeatedly tediously interjecting with your specious attempt to get me to spell "Moslem" in the way you want, I'll address why you are being foolish.

"Moslem" was used (and indeed was the only spelling) in English long before "Muslim" and I have never changed the way i spell it. Why should I?

I also use "gaol" where you might use "jail", for instance, and "encyclopaedia" where you probably use "encyclopedia" in an attempt to Americanize the language.

if you are going to criticise people's spelling at least have the nouse to understand what you are talking about.

I doubt you use "gaol".
I told you that. Is this an echo chamber?

At least you appear to agree that what you previously labelled as opinions are, indeed, facts.

Meh, your opinion.
Original post by Hussm

Your entire contribution to this thread has been an unnecessary, unwanted and spurious distraction. People who do that are unwelcome.
1:38

Why would Muslims be eating ham on their pizza?

Stupid lefties really do know **** all about Islam
Original post by Hydeman
I lost count of the number of non sequiturs in that video, but just to address the point supposedly proving that Islam does not oppress women: the number of university-educated women in Iran doesn't say anything about whether Islam oppresses women or not.

Even Saudi Arabia has more female graduates than male ones, and I've yet to see anybody (who isn't an Islamist or a sympathiser) argue that women aren't oppressed as a direct consequence of the state religion in Saudi Arabia.

i think one difference between the two is that in saudi arabia women need permission from a male 'guardian' to do near-enough anything, including studying at university.

but yes, conflating muslims with islam as often as the video did renders it worthless.
Reply 38
Your entire contribution to this thread has been an unnecessary, unwanted and spurious distraction. People who do that are unwelcome.

You might think so but I certainly don't.
4:05

>over 9000 Muslims

That moment when you get your facts from Dragonball Z

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending