The Student Room Group

Anyone been to Japan?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ivybridge
Why should I care about any of this information in relation to a holiday in Japan? Lmfao.

The national character is relevant when visiting a country. Very rarely would someone go somewhere just for the physical landmarks. Plus our own BNP get a lot of crit but the Jap man on the street is much worse.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 21
I spent six months in Japan last year. I loved it, the people were very friendly and will go out of their way to help you. The trains run like clockwork- look into a JR pass before you go. The food is amazing! Definitely visit Mt Fuji- two days there is more than enough. Visit the arcades in Tokyo, they have whole buildings of them. Try and learn some phrases as the Japanese love it when you try and speak to them. Matsumoto, Nagoya, Osaka, Kyoto all have beautiful temples/castles to see. They do hot drinks and cold drinks in the same vending machine-this impressed me when I was there. I would definitely go back in the future.
Reply 22
Original post by CreepyVibez
The national character is relevant when visiting a country. Very rarely would someone go somewhere just for the physical landmarks. Plus our own BNP get a lot of crit but the Jap man on the street is much worse.

Yeah it's really not though. You're not going to be having some in-depth political chat with the Japanese people you see who can't even speak your language.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yeah it's really not though. You're not going to he having some indepth political chat with the Japanese peoplenyou see who can't even speak your language.

If most of them dont know English then that is a concern in itself. Even the majority of Indians speak English to quite an advanced level; if large sections of an advanced economy can't communicate in the global language something is seriously flawed in the mindset of that nation.
If most of them dont know English then that is a concern in itself. Even the majority of Indians speak English to quite an advanced level; if large sections of an advanced economy can't communicate in the global language something is seriously flawed in the mindset of that nation.

What are you on? He's asking for holiday advice, not lectures from a wacko who thinks they know the first thing about Japan. There is nothing flawed in the mindset of Japanese people not speaking English. What is flawed, though, is your mindset, and the belief that you are entitled to be understood in English wherever in the world you go.
Original post by TheTechN1304
What are you on? He's asking for holiday advice, not lectures from a wacko who thinks they know the first thing about Japan. There is nothing flawed in the mindset of Japanese people not speaking English. What is flawed, though, is your mindset, and the belief that you are entitled to be understood in English wherever in the world you go.

Im not bothered about their English ability, although that is a bit of a problem if you are going on holiday (maybe Goa/Kerala might be better in that regard). I AM bothered about their widespread abuse of other races which really does need pointing out. Just because they aren't stereotypical bully boys in the BNP sense, doesn't mean that they aren't a fundamentally bigoted and prejudiced society.
Reply 26
Im not bothered about their English ability, although that is a bit of a problem if you are going on holiday (maybe Goa/Kerala might be better in that regard). I AM bothered about their widespread abuse of other races which really does need pointing out. Just because they aren't stereotypical bully boys in the BNP sense, doesn't mean that they aren't a fundamentally bigoted and prejudiced society.

What is wrong with you? I don't care about any of this - I want holiday advice not permanent living guidance. I don't know anybody who has experienced those things or has hated Japan when holidaying there.
Reply 27

PRSOM.
What is wrong with you? I don't care about any of this - I want holiday advice not permanent living guidance. I don't know anybody who has experienced those things or has hated Japan when holidaying there.

Well as I said before. India would be the best option in Asia because we have a shared historical/linguistic connection and the place is more deserving of our foreign exchange. In terms of tech Bangalore rules the roost right now (most of those Silicon valley ***** are Indians). The Indian economy is doing aswell as anywhere right now in comparison to the Jap one which has floundered since the 1980s. I mean the whole far east thing is a nice idea but no amount of tight hairless ***** can compensate for an infantile confucianist mindset.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 29
Well as I said before. India would be the best option in Asia because we have a shared historical/linguistic connection and the place is more deserving of our foreign exchange. In terms of tech Bangalore rules the roost right now (most of those Silicon valley ***** are Indians). The Indian economy is doing aswell as anywhere right now in comparison to the Jap one which has floundered since the 1980s. I mean the whole far east thing is a nice idea but no amount of tight hairless ***** can compensate for an infantile confucianist mindset.

I wasn't asking for your input on Asia, I was asking for it on travel within Japan and Japan only. You have nothing useful to add - therefore, go away.
Reply 30
Hey! I've actually been working in Tokyo for the past 2 years so message me if you need any advice!
There's loads of things to do in Tokyo, you won't get bored. It'll be pretty cheap for you to come over since the Yen is weak right now as well. The people are friendly and the food is amazing. If you have time, get on the bullet train to Kyoto-it's very beautiful! I guarantee you'll have a good time :smile:
Yup
Original post by amo11
Hey! I've actually been working in Tokyo for the past 2 years so message me if you need any advice!
There's loads of things to do in Tokyo, you won't get bored. It'll be pretty cheap for you to come over since the Yen is weak right now as well. The people are friendly and the food is amazing. If you have time, get on the bullet train to Kyoto-it's very beautiful! I guarantee you'll have a good time :smile:

The exchange rate has been getting very bad recently as the yen strengthens, so this isn't really true at all.
Reply 33
The exchange rate has been getting very bad recently as the yen strengthens, so this isn't really true at all.

It's strengthening but it's still not that great for us as of now if I were to visit the UK (I'll be moving this fall!) I hope it does strengthen though since I get paid in Yen haha
(edited 8 years ago)
I spend a few weeks in Tokyo before taking a train to Kyoto. Tokyo is amazing and they have an excellent rail system meaning you can see the whole city very easily. I stayed in Ueno first then Asakusa and both offered very reasonably priced hotels (though small of course). If you'd like me to dig up the names I'll be happy to find the hotel names. Kyoto is worth the visit if you enjoy seeing temples. Happy to answer any questions!

But India smells...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest