The Student Room Group

A2 Russia Coursework Help

Hi,

I was wondering whether anyone could direct me in the best way to go about my coursework

The title is 'Lenin had a greater impact on Russia’s economy than any other ruler’ Assess the validity ofthis view with reference to the years 1855 1964

Any input would be much appreciated

Thank you
Original post by hodgettsse
Hi,

I was wondering whether anyone could direct me in the best way to go about my coursework

The title is 'Lenin had a greater impact on Russia’s economy than any other ruler’ Assess the validity ofthis view with reference to the years 1855 1964

Any input would be much appreciated

Thank you

Hey there!

Here are few points you could discuss in your essay:

1. Who is Lenin?

Lenin was is exile in Switzerland when he heard about Tsar Alexander II's abdication. Lenin was almost in permanent abdication. Lenin returned back to the Bolshevik followers in October 1905. He was a communist, revolutionary, politician and political theorist. He had a significant role of leading the Bolsheviks. Most of his ideas were based around Marxism which was ssentially an acceptance of the peasant takeover of land and a propaganda move.

2. Which other economic revolutionists are there from 1855 to 1964?

Ivan Vyshnegrasky (Finance Minister 1887 1892)

What did Ivan Vyshnegrasky do?

He tried to build up state capital by increasing importation tariffs (1891 Tariff Act set import duties at 33%), indirect taxation, grain export which forced peasants to sell grain to the state, loans from abroad.

What was the results of this?

Grain exports increased (by 18% from 1881 to 1891). Peasants suffered from heavy taxation, high goods prices and grain requisitions. There was famine (1881 to 1892) which was followed by a bad harvest that killed 350,000 people after this Ivan Vyshnegrasky was dismissed.

Spoiler

Sergei Witte (Finance Minister, 1892 1903)

What did Sergei Witte do?

He believed that industrialisation was essential to curb revolutionary unrest. To lead up to industrialisation Witte raised interest rates to encourage foreign loads, there was a new rouble (1897) to increase business confidence, invested in railways, heavy industry prioritised over lighter. Also peasants were encouraged to relocate after the construction of the Trans-Siberian railway.

High government cost, Russia became dependent on foreign investment which increased ten-fold 1880 to 1900. The promise of regular wages lured more peasants into industrial centers. Factory workers double 1887 to 1908. Railway development stimulated heavy steel and iron industries, reduced transport costs for manufacturer. Overseas trade carried in foreign ships and roads remained poor.

Pyotr Stolypin (Former provincial governor... research into this more)

What did Pyotr Stolypin do?

He believed in radical reform of agriculture to prevent peasant unrest. Redemption payment abolished. Government subsidies for migration and settlement for Siberia. Peasants could apply for permission to have scattered strips of land. New peasant bank established. More state and crown land made available for peasant purchase.

Success: Increase in peasant ownership, migration and settlement in Siberia increased, grain production increased.

Failures: Peasants reluctant for change so stuck to old farming methods (strip-farming), reforms didn't address the key issues, landowners found it difficult to distribute land equally.

(many more!)

Here's a few more questions to ask yourself:

What economic changes did Lenin do?

To what extent was he successful?

How significant were they?

Comparing all other reformists/revolutionaries who was the most successful (conclusion)

Spoiler

I hope this helps, if you have any questions feel free to ask. :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending