The Student Room Group

Would you marry someone that doesn't share your religious beliefs?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Foo.mp3
Feel what sugar? :innocent:

Contradictory, as one has to have 'faith' in order to be an atheist (to believe that there is no God, in the absence of incontrovertible evidence) :beard:

Spoiler

Being atheist doesn't necessarily mean a 100% certainty of the non-existence of God.

But to answer the question, yes I would. I'm athiest and would have no problem being with someone who thinks the existence of a god is likely- that's irrelevant to me. What is relevant is the values and dogmas they posess surrounding that belief. No religious conservatism for me thank you.
Original post by Just want oreos
hmm interesting

how so?
Yes but not to a religion where I have to convert to get married
Reply 83
Original post by Foo.mp3

For sure, but it does mean more of a firmly held belief than us 'on the fence' agnostics :u:

Kind of makes your point about it requiring faith void, though

Expect a certain 24 year old belly dancer will be devastated to hear this :sad:

Which one?
(edited 8 years ago)
Well if it works it works, regardless of religion. Obviously if they want to push their religion on you or want to restrict yours or someone else's life because of their belief then no.

Nothing is stopping you having your own beliefs while in a relationship.

Info: I'm not religious - could arguably call me an atheist but if I had a good relationship with a religious person then why not. I would try to discuss what we believe and what it gives to us but there's no need to be pushy.

This may be thinking too far ahead, but don't push yours or your partner's religions onto your children, let them make their own choices on what they believe, with a little guidance on what is right and wrong of course.

Hope this can help
Original post by Foo.mp3
Fair ones :h:

For sure, but it does mean more of a firmly held belief than us 'on the fence' agnostics :u:

Expect a certain 24 year old belly dancer will be devastated to hear this :sad:

Most of them at least :smile:

Would you raise your kids to have a Christian background?
Yes, or a person with no religion.
Original post by Justmoll28
how so?

oh its just because you were one of the first to reply and had a very adamant answer
oh its just because you were one of the first to reply and had a very adamant answer

well i have a secure opinion on things like this haha, im already in a long term relationship and we most likely will marry, have children etc so i dont need to really consider it tbh, im a strong athiest if you was wondering
Reply 89
Original post by Foo.mp3
How so? I didn't say 'total'/'complete' faith did I

The bible basher below :mmm:

Something like that, yes. The would certainly be schooled in the bible, not least because it's legacy is a cornerstone of our civilisation :jebus:

Soz babe :frown:

I'm afraid I'm too much of a humanist liberal for her. You go take the reigns instead mate.
Original post by BrokenLife
But he's my Sharukh Khan:u::fight::flutter:

Ummm, no :hand:
Only as long as they were open to the idea that it's only a belief, and don't try and 'convert' me into a believer :lol:

I'm a pretty devout atheist :yep:
Original post by Justmoll28
well i have a secure opinion on things like this haha, im already in a long term relationship and we most likely will marry, have children etc so i dont need to really consider it tbh, im a strong athiest if you was wondering

ooo that was also interesting- i wish the two of you well :smile:
ooo that was also interesting- i wish the two of you well :smile:

why is that interesting? haha i think religion is a pile of **** (sorry not sorry) hahah thanks :smile:
Reply 94
If you choose belief over love then you should reevaulate your life choices
I'm Muslim but I am open to all religions, cultures etc. I'm not sure if I'm the only Muslim here but I have a few Muslim friends who married a non Muslim and they're happy together.

Also I'll be an old lady with 20 cats

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Foo.mp3
How so? I didn't say 'total'/'complete' faith did I

The bible basher below :mmm:

Something like that, yes. The would certainly be schooled in the bible, not least because it's legacy is a cornerstone of our civilisation :jebus:

I'm glad to hear it :h:
No, I fundamentally disagree with religion as a concept so plan on raising any children I have with an anti-religion viewpoint. I wouldn't be able to succeed in that if I married someone religious
No. Mostly because I would like to raise my kids with the same religion I was raised with.
To be blatantly honest
I wouldnt

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending