The Student Room Group

"Everyone hates me because I'm Muslim"

Hey guys, so one of my friends had told me to upload this thread, "hated because I am muslim":

"Im just an ordinary prepubescent self-identified Muslim, who currently attends Secondary School. I have a lot of friends from many ethnicity, backgrounds and I get on with everyone. However a lot of people treat me differently because I am Muslim and I just don't get it. What have I done wrong. I respect other peoples beliefs, cultures and considering I went to an Catholic primary school my parents even encourage me to go Mass. But I just don't get it. Im honestly a really humble person, but why am I defined by my religion and why is there so much hostility towards me. It makes me upset and depressed as I have lost alot of friends since the Paris attacks".

Scroll to see replies

That's a really sad story and it makes me annoyed at the attitudes of some people and the media.

Is this your friends story?
Reply 2
Original post by Neostigmine
That's a really sad story and it makes me annoyed at the attitudes of some people and the media.

Is this your friends story?

Thank you for replying. And unfortunately yes.
Original post by Oblivion99
Thank you for replying. And unfortunately yes.

Tell your friend that any friends lost after Paris were never friends in the first place.
Hey guys, so one of my friends had told me to upload this thread, "hated because I am muslim":

"Im just an ordinary prepubescent self-identified Muslim, who currently attends Secondary School. I have a lot of friends from many ethnicity, backgrounds and I get on with everyone. However a lot of people treat me differently because I am Muslim and I just don't get it. What have I done wrong. I respect other peoples beliefs, cultures and considering I went to an Catholic primary school my parents even encourage me to go Mass. But I just don't get it. Im honestly a really humble person, but why am I defined by my religion and why is there so much hostility towards me. It makes me upset and depressed as I have lost alot of friends since the Paris attacks".

Because people assume that's why. They use deductive reasoning to say that since a Muslim terrorist has been "terrorizing" and are dangerous then all Muslims are dangerous and must be stayed away from. Personally i don't seen a problem with anyone unless that person is "bad". It's just how society is. People don't think twice (they also don't think for themselves either >.>), they just believe what they're told
Reply 5
Ehh it highly unlikely it's because they are muslim. It's because they're foreign more likely. I'm a muslim and never d that issue because I'm black American. And this country is made on very light/fair white people and black people. Everything else in between is seen as foreign and therefore you get categorized. Either you're a Mexican an Asian or an arab. If you're arab you get associated withisnd f like that. Whether you're muslim or not. That's what people think. In some instances people know I'm muslim and think of more black muslims than the foreign ones becae islam is also apart of some parts of American history. If you're white and muslim you're either a convert if not you must be bosnianIdk how they're treated.
People are very quick to judge and they're not trying to get to know the person as an individual.. You get to see who your real friends are when the time comes :smile:
So this person has lots of friends AND everyone hates him? That's one confused victim complex!
"Im just an ordinary prepubescent self-identified Muslim"

"why am I defined by my religion"

Utmost sympathies for your friend, but these statements suggest some degree of confusion on his part. If he's a self-identified Muslim, then he's defining himself as a Muslim, not being defined as such by others.
Reply 9
Original post by MildredMalone
So this person has lots of friends AND everyone hates him? That's one confused victim complex!

She lost friends after the Paris attacks. Please read so diligently.
That's really sad to hear.. As a Muslim I have not experienced this- however I have had people mocking me and looking down at me but I guess you get used to it. I hope and pray it will get better for her. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Sounds like a good time for your friend to become an atheist.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Death Grips
Sounds like a good time for your friend to become an atheist.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Right so if someone hates you for who you are, YOU'RE the one that should change?
Makes sense.

Hope things pick up for your friend,some people can be so harsh and judgemental.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Contrary to what we're lead to believe

:fyi: led*
Original post by HAnwar
Right so if someone hates you for who you are, YOU'RE the one that should change?
Makes sense.

Well kinda makes sense. For example I hate polytheists who do shirk, so yeh, such people should change for the better.
Original post by Foo.mp3
To understand the reservations people have when it comes to the Muslim faith (beyond simple prejudice/intolerance), try reading the Koran from cover to cover from the perspective of the 'kafir', a woman, or a homosexual, for example. Contrary to what we're lead to believe, Islam is the religion of 'submission', not 'peace'

If you are a devout Muslim, who holds the Koran as the indisputable word of Allah then this cannot be so, for it is littered with damning and divisive rhetoric regarding the beliefs of others (just as other religious texts are, sadly)

You don't have to be, you have a choice, and you certainly should challenge anyone who makes false assumptions about you and your beliefs

Kind of answered your own question there, unfortunately, the actions of a relatively small proportion of your fellow believers, perpetrated in your name, have horrified the world and helped entrench Islamophobia. This is, sadly, just the tip of the iceberg, however

However, what? She is made isolated in a society dominated by whites who influence and vilianise our media culture? Lives in a society where our minds are easily influence by the bold text of a headline? Whats her part? She was born a muslim, just like her eye colour, at a young age she will have to enforce that upon herself. Islam? Please England is a land which has long reigned with the Bible which has more repulsive verses.
I can't stand Islam but tbh if someone left you because of religion over personality then that is disgusting as hell.
Reply 18
Original post by Anonymous
Well kinda makes sense. For example I hate polytheists who do shirk, so yeh, such people should change for the better.

You're hating the action not the person.
Because people (wrongly) now associate Islam with terrorism. It's really sad, but it's true. People assume Muslims must accept or condone terrorism, when really the vast majority of Muslims hate what ISIS/similar groups are doing. For people to turn on your friend 'because of Paris' is absolutely ridiculous, and really sad.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending