The Student Room Group

Can you ever see yourself "settling down" and having kids?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Same haha. We need to get on the lesbian scene bebs.

Eughhh I wish you weren't up North x

indeed :lol: at uni it is all gonna be unleashed to watch this space :mmm:
same :rofl: literally the entirety of TSR live in london :redface:
Original post by TheBBQ
I'm glad you have faith in me :colonhash:

I'm 22 and it'll probably happen during my mid 30's atleast. Don't worry :tongue:

what year uni are you in and what career do you plan on?
Reply 62
Original post by welcometoib
what year uni are you in and what career do you plan on?

Second. Actuary or something like a Quant/Financial analyst if I go PhD.
Original post by TheBBQ
Second. Actuary or something like a Quant/Financial analyst if I go PhD.

if you do the former youd be able to start he ladder probably a full decade earlier than the latter, but you already know that haha
Original post by Nadile
I can settle down, I don't do parties,alcohol etc anyway. Having a partner and a stable relationship wouldn't limit what I can do. No kids though, hate kids, pregnancy and everything related.

Yes, it would. When you make major decisions, you are expected to do it taking into account your partner's needs/desires. For example, you couldn't just accept that awesome job offer without consulting with your partner because it would mean living far from each other. Or you couldn't put big money on that house/car you like without consulting your partner, because you have a shared account. Also, if your partner every has a major accident and ends up in a wheelchair, you are expected to take care of your partner in detriment of any wishes (journeys, treks, etc) you might have. There are both upsides and downsides to it.
Original post by Anonymous
literally the entirety of TSR live in london :redface:

*loud throat-clearing* :pierre:
Reply 66
if you do the former youd be able to start he ladder probably a full decade earlier than the latter, but you already know that haha

I do. That's where the decision lies though. I'm not sure which to do. :redface:
Original post by Hydeman
*loud throat-clearing* :pierre:

alright there are some exceptions :colondollar:
but all the hot girls on here live in London, there is a correlation i swear :redface:
Original post by jblackmoustache
That's what I don't understand. Kids and buying a house is a massive financial commitment. Plus I heard getting your kids into a decent school is pretty hard these days

And it is only going to get harder with funding for schools slashed once more, a growing number of kids and not enough schools for everyone.
alright there are some exceptions :colondollar:
but all the hot girls on here live in London, there is a correlation i swear :redface:

An eighth of the UK population lives in that one city, so it's hardly a surprise that there's more of every kind of person in London than other cities. :tongue:
Yeah. Having thought about it seems like the only way I can avoid having a massive existential crisis as I get older (well minimise one anyway, or make it worse as I know these things I have brought into the word are going to get old and die as well). Currently I think 28 is the best age to have kids. When your kids are teenagers you are in your 40s which is plenty young enough to do exciting things with them etc.

That gives me five years to sort myself out. That's not very long :-/ I wanna be 19 again :-/

But then we are all living longer now. I don't want to see my kids get past middle age :-/ I want to be dead before that. Ahhhh. I don't know :frown:

First things first, finding a suitable and reciprocal woman who doesn't drive me nuts :tongue: Then can worry about kids.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman
An eighth of the UK population lives in that one city, so it's hardly a surprise that there's more of every kind of person in London than other cities. :tongue:

:lol: you know so much about everything :hat2:
and that is true i guess, still dosen't solve the fact that they are all so far away tho :mmm:
Original post by TheBBQ
I do. That's where the decision lies though. I'm not sure which to do. :redface:

well simple choice really, the one that makes you happier. Its not a race, if you do the PHD youll be on a stipend anyway most likely so youll be financially fine supporting yourself, yes kids might be delayed but that snot really a big deal in this day and age unless you really want them before like 30. pm for more help on this stuff, good luck :smile:
See no point in most things if I don't settle down and have a family.
:lol: you know so much about everything :hat2:

Thanks, you're very kind. :h: :colondollar:

and that is true i guess, still dosen't solve the fact that they are all so far away tho :mmm:

As in, far away from you? :holmes: That's just an accident of birth in most cases. :mmm:
Reply 75
well simple choice really, the one that makes you happier. Its not a race, if you do the PHD youll be on a stipend anyway most likely so youll be financially fine supporting yourself, yes kids might be delayed but that snot really a big deal in this day and age unless you really want them before like 30. pm for more help on this stuff, good luck :smile:

Do you have any experience or knowledge of people who are in these fields?

I've already looked into it, but the only question is whether I am PhD/Quant material. And of course if I end up managing to do a PhD. :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman
Thanks, you're very kind. :h: :colondollar:

As in, far away from you? :holmes: That's just an accident of birth in most cases. :mmm:

just being truthful :colondollar:
yeah :nopity: looool well i used to live there but moved :nooo:
and my fave leaf lives there as well :emo:
Possibly in the very distant future.
Original post by jblackmoustache
As I'm in my late 20s I get this question all the time.

I just can't imagine settling down and having kids like everyone I know is. It's like everyone has gone from having mad nights out to dinner parties and wedding parties. So many weddings coming up.
I just wouldn't be able to stand having my own kids and the everything else that comes with settling down. Living with a partner, living in suburbia, having to get a babysitter everytime I go out, having to make plans when school is out, having to put up with bad behaviour, the financial strain, etc.
Of course it takes two as well and i'm pretty much single pringle who is crap with women and a poor postgrad, but even if I fell in love with a girl I don't think I could settle down. There's just so much to do and so much to see and so much I want to achieve. When kids come into the mix and a wife/long term partner your life is no longer just yours?

Anyone else feel like Peter Pan atm?

me and my partner already have it all planned out haha, we are going to marry around 25, and have 3 children before im 30, i dont want big age gaps in between them, we even have names and wedding dates in mind hahaha were only 19
just being truthful :colondollar:
yeah :nopity: looool well i used to live there but moved :nooo:
and my fave leaf lives there as well :emo:

Oh well. Maybe you can move back for university. :smile:

Favourite leaf? What's that? :curious:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending