The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

i have about £150 k at present
Reply 21
I tried the trading 212 practice accoung with no knowledge what so ever, made 50k from 10k I think. Too bad it was only a practice account..
Original post by Axlerod
Ok, let's say I have £500 and want to trade on the stock market with absolutely no knowledge of it. How do I go about it? What trading platforms do I use and what kind of resources are there to better my knowledge and make more successful trades? Any help would be appreciated! 😀

DONT.
Original post by Axlerod
Ok, let's say I have £500 and want to trade on the stock market with absolutely no knowledge of it. How do I go about it? What trading platforms do I use and what kind of resources are there to better my knowledge and make more successful trades? Any help would be appreciated! 😀

Go to a stockbroker. Most major banks have them.

It's like gambling in concept. You just have to put money into companies that better prospects. So if, say, oil prices are set to rocket, then BP or Shell are good bets. Same if a company or industry goes down.

But then lots of things affect stock prices, like recessions, natural disasters and stuff.
Original post by leavingthecity
DONT.

why not? you may hate capitalism...he may not.
Original post by unamujercaliente
why not? you may hate capitalism...he may not.

Errrrr has nothing to do with that.

It's about the extreme likelihood of him loosing all his money and ending up indebted to a brokerage...

I warned you.

It's about the extreme likelihood of him loosing all his money and ending up indebted to a brokerage...

I warned you.

I believe it is.....but then he's his own person, he can think how he likes.
Reply 27

I warned you.

I love capitalism 😉 This is spare money I have and was just interested, maybe after I gain a bit more knowledge I'll make a decision 😊
I believe it is.....but then he's his own person, he can think how he likes.

He asked for advice.

I gave it.

There is about a 90% chance that he will loose 90% of his money within 90 days. That is a real statistic.
Original post by Axlerod
I love capitalism 😉 This is spare money I have and was just interested, maybe after I gain a bit more knowledge I'll make a decision 😊

How will you invest? I'm assuming spread betting as it's a small amount and a popular route in, but tell me if I'm wrong. If you are going to own equities or bonds, that's different!
He asked for advice.

I gave it.

There is about a 90% chance that he will loose 90% of his money within 90 days. That is a real statistic.

I doubt it...since you're just pontificating..lolol.
I doubt it...since you're just pontificating..lolol.

Erm, don't understand. But warning given all the same.
Erm, don't understand. But warning given all the same.

OK...so everbody has to welcome you/be nice to you? Why? Oh, yes...cos you're pretty, I don't care if you are.
You have to be careful, practice on demos accounts, plus500.com is decent but quite basic. Bearing in mind that demos are nothing like trading with real money as you have no attachment. My demo account is at £138k from £20k whereas my real is at £163 from £100 in roughly two months.
Reply 34
He asked for advice.

I gave it.

That's absolute rubbish if he is trading (or rather, investing) in typical FTSE-listed shares. The FTSE has never lost 90% of it's value in 90 days.

The problem is £500 isn't enough to have a reasonable spread. Ideally a portfolio should have approx 10 different holdings to spread the risk. £500 isnt enough to do that (due to transaction fees eating into the potential profits).

But even picking, say, two FTSE100 listed companies it is extremely unlikely anyone would lose 90% in 90 days.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jneill
That's absolute rubbish if he is trading (or rather, investing) in typical FTSE-listed shares. The FTSE has never lost 90% of it's value in 90 days.

The problem is £500 isn't enough to have a reasonable spread. Ideally a portfolio should have approx 10 different holdings to spread the risk. £500 isnt enough to do that (due to transaction fees eating into the potential profits).

But even picking, say, two FTSE100 listed companies it is extremely unlikely anyone would lose 90% in 90 days.

He says trading. With only 500 quid I read that as leveraged trading. I may be wrong. I hope I am wrong. Because in a leveraged situation that statistic applies. It's more than likely he'd get wiped out within a very short time. And that's not just on the movement of the market, that's on the trickery of the market maker and him f****** you on the price, spread and never missing an opportunity to stop you out on figures coming out that you'll receive with a big delay. It's a mugs game.
OK...so everbody has to welcome you/be nice to you? Why? Oh, yes...cos you're pretty, I don't care if you are.

Okkkkkkk
Reply 37
He says trading. With only 500 quid I read that as leveraged trading. I may be wrong. I hope I am wrong. Because in a leveraged situation that statistic applies. It's more than likely he'd get wiped out within a very short time. And that's not just on the movement of the market, that's on the trickery of the market maker and him f****** you on the price, spread and never missing an opportunity to stop you out on figures coming out that you'll receive with a big delay. It's a mugs game.

Agreed - keep away from anything that isn't straight forward share trading. And even then consider them as a medium-term investment not a get rish quick scheme. :smile:

The best way to earn a small fortune in exotic trading is by starting with a large fortune...
Original post by Axlerod

i'd got for safer moves that you can just leave alone and not worry about (big well known names are good a friend of mine has a £2,200 in his portfolio as a gold maple for £700 and £500 each in bt, mitchell and butler, intercontinental hotel group)
in 2 years he has earn about £70 and £200 more if he was to sell his gold (he got that six months ago on my advise)
Original post by jneill
Agreed - keep away from anything that isn't straight forward share trading. And even then consider them as a medium-term investment not a get rish quick scheme. :smile:

The best way to earn a small fortune in exotic trading is by starting with a large fortune...

I agree entirely. OP pay attention.

Actually the best way to make a fortune is....,.with someone else's money.

Latest

Trending

Trending