The Student Room Group

Kiiten superhelp thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by kiiten
If the angle is 2/3 pi and i use the red arrow the answer is wrong - i get 1/6 pi. But if you said the angle starts from 0 shouldnt it be from the green arrow because the angle stops after the bound?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can you please post the question and explain your problem with reference to the question?
Reply 21
Original post by DylanJ42
yes always measure angles from the green arrow

what notnek is saying is that solutions between from where the red arrow starts until a full rotation later (ie 1.25 cirlces) are the only valid ones

Right I see, thanks for clearing that up. What about if the angle was in the A and C quadrant (angle less than 1/2 pi). But the bound starts from 1/2 pi to 5/2 pi. you wouldn't count the angle in the A quadrant because its before 1/2 pi right? But, the angle in the c quadrant would that be calculated from 0 like the green arrow?
Reply 22
Original post by notnek
Can you please post the question and explain your problem with reference to the question?

I posted the question earlier in this thread (2 pictures)
Original post by kiiten
Right I see, thanks for clearing that up. What about if the angle was in the A and C quadrant (angle less than 1/2 pi). But the bound starts from 1/2 pi to 5/2 pi. you wouldn't count the angle in the A quadrant because its before 1/2 pi right? But, the angle in the c quadrant would that be calculated from 0 like the green arrow?

yes that is all correct, but also remember that the angle in the A quadrant would be counted when the arrow comes around again, I will do an example to show this as its hard to explain in words
Reply 24
yes that is all correct, but also remember that the angle in the A quadrant would be counted when the arrow comes around again, I will do an example to show this as its hard to explain in words

I understand - you mean after you pass 2 pi your back to the A quadrant but this time its from 2 pi not 0
Original post by kiiten
I understand - you mean after you pass 2 pi your back to the A quadrant but this time its from 2 pi not 0

yea yea yea thats perfect :biggrin: but ive already done an example so i may as well post it (just to show off my fancy markers :ahee:)

cast.jpg
I come to this thread armed with advice about food, toys, training, vet's bills and so on. Then I notice the double "I" in the title.

I now make a hasty exit.
Reply 27
yea yea yea thats perfect :biggrin: but ive already done an example so i may as well post it (just to show off my fancy markers :ahee:)

cast.jpg

Nice diagram thanks :smile:
Reply 28
Question 2.b) - ive attached my working the correct answer is 49.9

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Original post by kiiten
Question 2.b) - ive attached my working the correct answer is 49.9

Posted from TSR Mobile

You've missed something from the perimeter...

Hint : Your answer is 8 less that the actual answer.
Reply 30
Original post by notnek
You've missed something from the perimeter...

Hint : Your answer is 8 less that the actual answer.

Oh yeah, you're supposed to count the line AB (which is 8) because it asks for the sector. Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
If you solve the equation 3sin^2x +7sinx - 6 =0 in the interval 0 < x < 2pi then you let u =sinx You get u = 2/3, which you change to x by doing inverse sin. Do you change the bounds on the cast circle too?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by kiiten
If you solve the equation 3sin^2x +7sinx - 6 =0 in the interval 0 < x < 2pi then you let u =sinx You get u = 2/3, which you change to x by doing inverse sin. Do you change the bounds on the cast circle too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No keep the bounds the same.

If u = 2/3 then solve sin(x) = 2/3 for 0 < x < 2pi.
Reply 33
Original post by notnek
No keep the bounds the same.

If u = 2/3 then solve sin(x) = 2/3 for 0 < x < 2pi.

Right so when would you know to change the bounds or not?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Like this question:

3cos^2x=cosx
So u =0 and x = cos^-1 (0)
= 1/2 pi

The bounds are still 0 and 2 pi - do you change it?
I only got 2 of the answers 1.57 and 4.71

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Original post by kiiten
Right so when would you know to change the bounds or not?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's when you have something like sin(2x) = 0.3, 0 < x < 2pi

The angle of the sine is 2x which is different to x (we know the bounds for x)

The bounds for 2x are 0 < x < 4pi.
Reply 36
Original post by kiiten
Like this question:

3cos^2x=cosx
So u =0 and x = cos^-1 (0)
= 1/2 pi

The bounds are still 0 and 2 pi - do you change it?
I only got 2 of the answers 1.57 and 4.71

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're missing a solution for u.

Sub u = cos(x):

3u^2 = u

3u^2 - u = 0

u(3u - 1) = 0

So u = 0 or u = 1/3
Reply 37
Original post by notnek
That's when you have something like sin(2x) = 0.3, 0 < x < 2pi

The angle of the sine is 2x which is different to x (we know the bounds for x)

The bounds for 2x are 0 < x < 4pi.

So only when the equation affects x and not sin/cos/tan

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kiiten
So only when the equation affects x and not sin/cos/tan

Posted from TSR Mobile

everything that happens to the angle happens to the limits too;

so if your limits were;

0θ2π \displaystyle 0 \leq \theta \leq 2\pi

if you had to solve sin(2θ)=0.4 \displaystyle \sin\left(2\theta\right) = 0.4 , notice that you have doubled the angle so the limits must also double, so you have to solve this between;

02θ4π \displaystyle 0 \leq 2\theta \leq 4\pi

if you had to solve cos(θ+π2)=0.7 \displaystyle cos\left(\theta + \frac{\pi}{2}\right) = 0.7 then you have added pi/2 to the angle so do the same for the limits, so you'll want to solve the above for;

π2θ5π2 \displaystyle \frac{\pi}{2} \leq \theta \leq \frac{5\pi}{2}

and finally, if you had something like tan(3θ+π6)=2 \displaystyle \tan\left(3\theta + \frac{\pi}{6}\right) = 2 you have tripled the angle then added pi/6 to it, so do the exact same to the limits;

03θ6π \displaystyle 0 \leq 3\theta \leq 6\pi (after tripling)

π63θ37π6 \displaystyle \frac{\pi}{6} \leq 3\theta \leq \frac{37\pi}{6} (these are your new limits!)
Reply 39
everything that happens to the angle happens to the limits too;

so if your limits were;

0θ2π \displaystyle 0 \leq \theta \leq 2\pi

if you had to solve sin(2θ)=0.4 \displaystyle \sin\left(2\theta\right) = 0.4 , notice that you have doubled the angle so the limits must also double, so you have to solve this between;

02θ4π \displaystyle 0 \leq 2\theta \leq 4\pi

if you had to solve cos(θ+π2)=0.7 \displaystyle cos\left(\theta + \frac{\pi}{2}\right) = 0.7 then you have added pi/2 to the angle so do the same for the limits, so you'll want to solve the above for;

π2θ5π2 \displaystyle \frac{\pi}{2} \leq \theta \leq \frac{5\pi}{2}

and finally, if you had something like tan(3θ+π6)=2 \displaystyle \tan\left(3\theta + \frac{\pi}{6}\right) = 2 you have tripled the angle then added pi/6 to it, so do the exact same to the limits;

03θ6π \displaystyle 0 \leq 3\theta \leq 6\pi (after tripling)

π63θ37π6 \displaystyle \frac{\pi}{6} \leq 3\theta \leq \frac{37\pi}{6} (these are your new limits!)

Thank you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest