The Student Room Group

OCR Chemistry A Exam Thread (Breadth - May 27 2016 and Depth - June 10 2016)

Scroll to see replies

I also do OCR chemistry so we can all help each other in a whatsapp group

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dr Cobbold
I also do OCR chemistry so we can all help each other in a whatsapp group

Posted from TSR Mobile

I doubt people would want to share numbers with people they don't know in real life. A student room thread should suffice? After all, it's available on a mobile app, too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by helloitsmee
I doubt people would want to share numbers with people they don't know in real life. A student room thread should suffice? After all, it's available on a mobile app, too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yh I I guess but considering there Is a fair amount of individuals in the group already. Perhaps it is good to expand

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
How did everyone do in the mocks? (Got an A) and how far through the course are you? (Just finished today).
Almost finished Organic, but we've finished everything else!

Has anyone started revising for the summer exams yet?
Reply 25
Original post by Adam998
How did everyone do in the mocks? (Got an A) and how far through the course are you? (Just finished today).

Could you explain the reaction of Group 2 oxide with water
Reply 26
Original post by SGHD26716
Could you explain the reaction of Group 2 oxide with water

Group 2 oxides with water will form 2 moles of an Hydroxide Group Ion (OH-) and also your group 2 ion.

For example, MgO + H2O -> 2(OH(-)) + Mg(2+)

You basically form a Group 2 Ion, and 2 OH groups. Hope this helps.
Reply 27
Original post by Adam998
Group 2 oxides with water will form 2 moles of an Hydroxide Group Ion (OH-) and also your group 2 ion.

For example, MgO + H2O -> 2(OH(-)) + Mg(2+)

You basically form a Group 2 Ion, and 2 OH groups. Hope this helps.

Then how does the hydroxide form. Is that when the solution becomes saturated enough? Also does the hydroxide formed dissolve?
Hey, I was wondering if anyone here could offer me any advice as to how to improve my grade. It was "suggested" to me that I drop AS chemistry because I'm doing pretty badly in it even though I've made flashcards, I don't know what else to do, especially as there aren't any past papers to do with the new spec

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nomophobia
Hey, I was wondering if anyone here could offer me any advice as to how to improve my grade. It was "suggested" to me that I drop AS chemistry because I'm doing pretty badly in it even though I've made flashcards, I don't know what else to do, especially as there aren't any past papers to do with the new spec

Posted from TSR Mobile

There are some sample material papers on the ocr website for you to try http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/as-a-level-gce-chemistry-a-h032-h432-from-2015/
Original post by Firenze26
OCR Chemistry A Exam Dates

H032/1 Breadth in chemistry 1 h 30 min Fri 27 May am
H032/2 Depth in chemistry 1 h 30 min Fri 10 June pm

Hey, I'm not sure if someone has made an exam thread for the OCR Chemistry A exam for AS or yr 1 so I thought I should make one since I can't find one.

So far, with the amount of things we know about the exam structure I'm not sure if I should make one for both papers so I just combined them both.

I'm gonna look up some resources soon but this are some of the basics I've used (Will update once I find new ones):

http://www.docbrown.info/page19/OCR_GCE_chem_AS_2015.htm

Just a few questions to start things off:
-How far are you in the curriculum?
-Have you done the sample papers in the website?
-Do you have any advice for the others?

good revision website www.technocratnotes.com

and good revision apphttps://play.google.com/store/apps/d...s.app&hl=en_GB
Reply 31

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is quite late but you could still practice using the old paper since some question types will remain the same. If you want to try the mcqs, looking up edexcel papers will work since they use the mcq style in their papers.

Don't just use flashcards, use annotated graphs and diagrams since the spec looks at a lot of trends. Calculations are also a big part especially with moles so I'd practise a lot with that. Along with the definitions, memorise the conditions. While they did change the paper, most of the past papers have questions about conditions in reactions. I don't think that they would just abandon that.

Hope this helps.
Reply 32

Thanks for the links, I just added it to the OP. 😄
I'm also sitting these exams too, we are moving onto organic synthesis although I have been trying to cover the topics after in my own time to leave more time to revise.

I'm not too worried, we have been doing a fair amount of mocks using the other exam papers from OCR, but having seen the exams and sat one as a mock that was for breadth and depth- I much prefer depth!

For revising I have been doing mind maps with a specific focus on including only the information they would use for exams because too often I add everything on the page to a mind map and it isn't necessary. Also past papers are a major help!!
This is quite late but you could still practice using the old paper since some question types will remain the same. If you want to try the mcqs, looking up edexcel papers will work since they use the mcq style in their papers.

Don't just use flashcards, use annotated graphs and diagrams since the spec looks at a lot of trends. Calculations are also a big part especially with moles so I'd practise a lot with that. Along with the definitions, memorise the conditions. While they did change the paper, most of the past papers have questions about conditions in reactions. I don't think that they would just abandon that.

Hope this helps.

I didn't know I could use Edexcel papers for the mcq's because that's one of my greatest weaknesses >.< Thanks!

Wow, this was so useful, I never even realised how many trends there were to learn and now that I think about it, I can never seem to remember them. :colondollar:

That was a massive help to me, thanks!

BTW what grade are you currently working on and what kind of work are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
I didn't know I could use Edexcel papers for the mcq's because that's one of my greatest weaknesses >.< Thanks!

Wow, this was so useful, I never even realised how many trends there were to learn and now that I think about it, I can never seem to remember them. :colondollar:

That was a massive help to me, thanks!

BTW what grade are you currently working on and what kind of work are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Welcome. Btw, just be a bit careful about the edexcel paper because some of the spec is different.

My grades keeps fluctuating so I get an A then B then A then D then B then C so I'd like to say, optimistically, that I'm working on maybe a high C or low, borderline B. I used to do these things at the start of the year but I started slipping and stopped so y'know...

I'm not doing much work at the moment 😅 so I'm just working on recent topics which might seem good to some since they could be tougher than the older topics so it makes a bit of sense but its a really bad idea since you forget older topics despite them being easier.

I'm currently looking at Infrared Spectrometry and I'm practising by doing some activities online and from other books to get used to the graphs and tables. I'm getting better but there's still a long way to go. That's the thing with this type of things, its a bit intuitive rather than formulaic since the peaks overlaps.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Welcome. Btw, just be a bit careful about the edexcel paper because some of the spec is different.

My grades keeps fluctuating so I get an A then B then A then D then B then C so I'd like to say, optimistically, that I'm working on maybe a high C or low, borderline B. I used to do these things at the start of the year but I started slipping and stopped so y'know...

I'm not doing much work at the moment 😅 so I'm just working on recent topics which might seem good to some since they could be tougher than the older topics so it makes a bit of sense but its a really bad idea since you forget older topics despite them being easier.

I'm currently looking at Infrared Spectrometry and I'm practising by doing some activities online and from other books to get used to the graphs and tables. I'm getting better but there's still a long way to go. That's the thing with this type of things, its a bit intuitive rather than formulaic since the peaks overlaps.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I'll keep that in mind.

Ahhh, yeah, I totally get what you mean, at the beginning of the year we were so motivated to do really well and get all A's and it would be super easy....that is not the case right now.

Hmm, it's probably a really good strategy because the older topics are just the basics, stuff you remember from GCSE.

How much content have you got left to cover? We haven't done Infrared Spectrometry yet. What? So it's not as simple as simply reading a graph and being able to tell what's going on? Not like biology?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Yeah, I'll keep that in mind.

Ahhh, yeah, I totally get what you mean, at the beginning of the year we were so motivated to do really well and get all A's and it would be super easy....that is not the case right now.

Hmm, it's probably a really good strategy because the older topics are just the basics, stuff you remember from GCSE.

How much content have you got left to cover? We haven't done Infrared Spectrometry yet. What? So it's not as simple as simply reading a graph and being able to tell what's going on? Not like biology?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think we just have this, mass spec and n/z left although considering my teacher skipped some topics, I think we should still have a lot left.

Yeah, its just, the peaks that you use to judge are similar and sometimes their identification and keys overlaps making it harder to identify it. :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
There aren't much papers that we can practice from other than the old specification which may not be helpful as the style of questions have changed.
Group revision? Is it a little too late to join - I'm sitting the exam this year and I think a group chat would be my motivation haha.

Original post by Dr Cobbold
I was wondering since our upcoming chemistry exams are coming up if people wanted to be part of a chemistry whatsapp revision group. If you are interested either pm me or responded to this message

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending