The Student Room Group

GCSE Options

Hi! So, I'm supposed to be picking my GCSE options in a few days. I thought I had everything planned out, but I'm starting to change my mind about a few of the subjects I had originally planned on taking. I was wondering if someone could help answer some of my questions?

At my school, the core subjects we have to take are Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, English Language, English Literature, a language (German for me), RE, and then we can choose three other subjects. At the moment, I definitely want to take History, but I'm not sure what I should put in my other gaps. I did previously want to take Drama and PE alongside it - Drama to develop my confidence and English, and PE to further my Science knowledge - but I'm now not certain that this is going to be a good choice, because I can't help but think that Geography is probably taken more seriously by future universities and employers. If it helps, I'd like to go into medicine at the moment, but I'm still not set on anything. I get good grades, and I'm predicted at A-A* in every subject.

I suppose what I'm really asking is, is Geography going to make me look like a more serious candidate in the future, or am I better staying well rounded with PE and Drama? Also, does my choice really matter all that much?

Thanks very much!
I would 100% stay with PE and Drama unless you genuinely enjoy doing Geography. I do GCSE Geography and I hate it! I enjoyed it until I got into year 10 and in 2 months time I sit 2 exams in it and im dreading them! I suppose i should of thought more carefully about my options but obviously didnt at the time haha. I also do PE and i enjoy the theory side more than practical probably because i'm into science especially biology. Just go with what you think is best for you not what others think, aslong as it contributes well to your future ambitions then it will be fine :smile: x
Original post by emilie.rafferty
I would 100% stay with PE and Drama unless you genuinely enjoy doing Geography. I do GCSE Geography and I hate it! I enjoyed it until I got into year 10 and in 2 months time I sit 2 exams in it and im dreading them! I suppose i should of thought more carefully about my options but obviously didnt at the time haha. I also do PE and i enjoy the theory side more than practical probably because i'm into science especially biology. Just go with what you think is best for you not what others think, aslong as it contributes well to your future ambitions then it will be fine :smile: x

I wouldn't say that I dislike Geography, it's just that I like PE slightly more. I would definitely be okay with doing the Geography GCSE course, but I think I'd rather do PE if there's not going to be much impact on my future based on that choice. I will stick with History and Drama I think, however. :smile: Thank you! x
Original post by gemmy.x
I wouldn't say that I dislike Geography, it's just that I like PE slightly more. I would definitely be okay with doing the Geography GCSE course, but I think I'd rather do PE if there's not going to be much impact on my future based on that choice. I will stick with History and Drama I think, however. :smile: Thank you! x

Ah that sounds good then, you sound like an intelligent person so i can imagine you will do well :smile: x

Quick Reply

Latest