The Student Room Group

Glasgow Medical School Applicants 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kcampbell893
So they mentioned that when we are on placements we could be at any hospital/surgery in the city...how far is that true and how easy is it to travel around? do they give advice on how to get places...I'm from quite a small city where it is impossible to get lost and I basically know Glasgow city centre and thats it :colondollar:

Glasgow University's reach is from Ayrshire to Lanarkshire. The west of Scotland has the most hospitals in its deanery and most of them are teaching hospitals. Great for variety, but annoying if you have to spend a morning in Crosshouse. Fortunately, in first and second year you go on these visits with at least 3 other people - so hopefully one of you can conquer google maps! In 3rd year the year group gets split. 60% go to the new Southern hospital and 40% go to the Glasgow Royal infirmary. Both are easy to find =]

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hearmeroar_
What's accommodation like in first year? I live quite close to Glasgow (less than an hour away) but would rather move to Glasgow

Yeah I was the same. Defo move out.

Student accommodation is shite no matter where you go. But this gives it a sense of community, a "we are all in it together" type thing.

As with any uni, glasgow has the typical "party halls" and the other more tame ones.

I read somewhere that the problem with PBL is the fact that while you go in depth with stuff and tend to remember it for longer than lecture based teaching after exams, the problem tends to be that when a course is entirely PBL, that the course doesn't cover as much material...therefore would like to think a combination of both sets us up quite well.

The problem is when they don't give you learning outcomes. Glasgow has started giving students these at the end of each week, so it's sorted.

So they mentioned that when we are on placements we could be at any hospital/surgery in the city...how far is that true and how easy is it to travel around? do they give advice on how to get places...I'm from quite a small city where it is impossible to get lost and I basically know Glasgow city centre and thats it :colondollar:

Glasgow has a subway, decent bus and train system. You're fine getting anywhere in scotland from Glasgow.

Your placements extend from Glasgow to south Ayrshire, as the other poster said

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have any International/RUK/EU applicants heard?
Have all the scottish(leaver) offers been given out??
Original post by Junioh
Have all the scottish(leaver) offers been given out??

nah surely not
Original post by Merv97
nah surely not

Cool! thanks pal!
Does glasgow have a quota on the number of scottish medical students they can accept like Edinburgh?
I made a page so we can ask questions and get to know our potential classmates :smile: https://www.facebook.com/groups/200044330359018/
Reply 1347
Does anyone know about replying to offers? Is it the same as other degrees? Can I pick one as firm and one as insurance? Or does that not apply to medicine?

Also, Glasgow have asked me to return my higher results by the 1st of July, but we don't get results till the 9th of August :/
anyone else going through this pain?
Reply 1349
Original post by Merv97

Yes! It's driving me insane :frown:
Original post by Merv97

thats me :frown:
Original post by Merv97

Yeah and st andrews but i just had my interview for that yesterday.

If you dont mind me asking what are your stats and the letter of your surname? I need some reassurance :frown:
Original post by Merv97

Yeah man!!!! Im checking my email, track and evision on a continuous cycle rn! Theyre my first two choices and worst/best interviews as well so Im just like plllzzzzzzz.
Although I have been given an offer from Aberdeen, so im holding onto sanity. Whay were your two choices???
Original post by u12lg7
Does anyone know about replying to offers? Is it the same as other degrees? Can I pick one as firm and one as insurance? Or does that not apply to medicine?

Also, Glasgow have asked me to return my higher results by the 1st of July, but we don't get results till the 9th of August :/

Maybe they mean the highers you already have?
I'm really confused, have many offers gone out? or? I feel like I have seen barely anyone mention receiving an offer so far...
Original post by ScaredBanana
I'm really confused, have many offers gone out? or? I feel like I have seen barely anyone mention receiving an offer so far...

many home students have received offers from glasgow, you might need to go back a few pages to find it
Reply 1356
Offer! :smile:
Reply 1357
Offer.

Scottish grad

A,B - bio and Chem
actually just burst into tears i finally got my first offer!!! I'm beyond shocked because my interview at glasgow was by far the worst and I really didn't think I stood a chance. I've never felt so happy in my life :cry2:
Reply 1359
Original post by thermometer
actually just burst into tears i finally got my first offer!!! I'm beyond shocked because my interview at glasgow was by far the worst and I really didn't think I stood a chance. I've never felt so happy in my life :cry2:

Congrats! :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending