The Student Room Group

Could you live off £14 a week?

Scroll to see replies

You can! On NCS, we did a poverty challenge where we had only £16 to spend on food and we achieved it successfully and, if i'm honest, it's the best food we had all week!
Original post by AccountingBabe
They shouldn't be having children then....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh come on! Let's not get into eugenics for goodness sake!
Original post by SophieSmall
Yep, it's more common than people think because they'd rather only pay attention to the people that make them angry. They don't think about the other end of the spectrum, and they often don't see it because there is a great deal of shame around it.

I think if you genuinely are very low income then obviously you should get more loan like if your family earn less than 20k, but there's a near 2k loan difference between someone who earns 28k and 40k, a single parent on 28k isn't struggling to cope that much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Des_Lumières
Oh come on! Let's not get into eugenics for goodness sake!

I'm sorry but people need to learn the problem with bringing loads of children into the world in which they can't support them.

If you're having financial troubles after 1 child why have 2...?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by abbeyjayne
You can! On NCS, we did a poverty challenge where we had only £16 to spend on food and we achieved it successfully and, if i'm honest, it's the best food we had all week!

But what about everything other than food?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dinasaurus
I think if you genuinely are very low income then obviously you should get more loan like if your family earn less than 20k, but there's a near 2k loan difference between someone who earns 28k and 40k, a single parent on 28k isn't struggling to cope that much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well no matter where you put the threshold there will always be some one feeling let down.

Can't please everyone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm sorry but people need to learn the problem with bringing loads of children into the world in which they can't support them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's a difference between having financial trouble and not being able to freely give their child £2000 so they can make up the difference that another child gets.

My parents aren't bankrupt or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah. You can buy enough food to survive on £14. It would be pretty grim though.

What's your "£40 for a monthly shop"? The more you can decrease this the better food you can get.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is a fair point I suppose. I'm sure if you rationed on food a little, you should be ok!
Original post by morgan8002
Yeah. You can buy enough food to survive on £14. It would be pretty grim though.

What's your "£40 for a monthly shop"? The more you can decrease this the better food you can get.

I've found uni is only like 30 weeks so there's more money a week, also yh I think I could cut food shopping down once I actually start, I'd need to scout out the cheaper shops.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Your parents have the income to support you... Some peoples parents don't. But your parents didn't invest or plan their finances hence why you are in this situation.
Maybe you should ask your parents to take out a loan to cover the short fall or get a job yourself.

I don't know why you can't get this through your skull but the government doesn't owe you anything... You're not even from the uk.

And before you go on about how your parents pay their taxes, well those low wage families have mainly been in the uk for generations and have paid their dues.

Be glad we even let you into our country and allow you to have a loan even if it's not the full amount that you feel you are entitled to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Xenophobe much?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Meaning?
I couldn't live on £14 a day, lol.
There's a difference between having financial trouble and not being able to freely give their child £2000 so they can make up the difference that another child gets.

My parents aren't bankrupt or something.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's still a financial aspect of raising a child which your parents should have thought about or else they basically are denying you the best education.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's still a financial aspect of raising a child which your parents should have thought about or else they basically are denying you the best education.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm pretty sure they denied me the best education when they didn't send me to Eton or Cardiff Sixth Form College or whatever the best school is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm pretty sure they denied me the best education when they didn't send me to Eton or Cardiff Sixth Form College or whatever the best school is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Stop your whining and be grateful.

You only think you have it bad....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by somesomebody
Better than starving :hmmm:

I'm not sure about him but if I had to live of pot noodles I would become physically and mentally weaker what with all that salt and empty calories no thanks
Original post by s0mebodymaybe
His parents dont owe you or your family the benefits you are probably on but hey look you are still scrounging. What kind of ****ing racism is this supposed to be?

His parents are paying tax so "British" people on benefits have food on the table and you want him to be glad HAHHAHA **** me

I'm not on benefits... Neither is my family.

In fact I've had a full time job for the last 10 years paying a taxes and all.

His family hasn't put in anywhere near as much as other British families have through generations.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by _icecream
I'm not sure about him but if I had to live of pot noodles I would become physically and mentally weaker what with all that salt and empty calories no thanks

No one says he can only afford pot noodles. That actually might be more expensive than just getting a big ass bag of rice and some chicken tits. And less tasty.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Before judging people's life choices, just consider these points:

- people's financial circumstances change
- the state of global markets changes
- the state of the local economy changes
- people suffer serious personal misfortunes of many kinds
- couples separate
- certain industries rise and fall
- investments gain and loose value
- disaster strikes

And then consider these:

- people have hope in their hearts that winds will blow in a better direction
- the have love in their hearts for their children
- they have imagination and can envisage a brighter future
- they have creativity and can think about how to get there
- they have determination to keep working on things even when circumstances don't seem to be changing
- they have generosity of spirit and devote themselves in they ways that they can to their children.

A good way to test a value is to apply it retrospectively and see where that leads you. Suggesting that people who don't immediately have secure financial means simply shouldn't have more children applied retrospectively would make millions of people illegitimate and wickedly conceived. I personally find that view just repulsive. If we don't embrace the complexity of life, we reject a lot of human experience.

Quick Reply

Latest