The Student Room Group

Titration confuses me, help please!

Okay, can someone actually explain to me the basics of titration. Please explain as simply as you can the method.

Then, can you tell me if it is usually acid that is the Unknown. And the for Unknown you find out the moles? Am I correct in thinking so?

Finally, there is always a known in which you can find out the number of moles. Then you use stoichiometry to find out the moles in the Unknown. (do you always use stoichoimetry? And if so why?)This will help find either concentration or volume (depends on which your given) . Is this correct?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
image.jpg
Attachment not found
Original post by Questioness
image.jpg
Attachment not found

You've calculated the mol in 25cm^3, not in 250cm^3. This is important because the mass (1.96g) corresponds with 250cm^3.

What must you do now?

Then, remember to subtract the molar mass of (OH)2.
(edited 8 years ago)
I think you've got the general idea :smile: basically, what you are doing is filling a burette with a solution of known concentration, and running it into a conical flask filled with another solution (of known volume) and usually some sort of indicator. You run the burette solution into the other solution until a colour change (this is called the end point). As you get nearer the end point, you need to add the solution very slowly (one drop at a time) as you don't need a lot of it for the colour change. Once the colour has changed, you record the volume mark on the burette and use this to calculate the number of moles of burette solution (n=CV). There are different ways to do it, but one way is using stoichiometry, from the balanced equation find the mole ratio of the two solutions and use this to calculate the number of moles of the unknown solution and from this its concentration. You can also use the formula C1V1=C2V2, but try and stick with whichever method you've been taught. Hope that helps:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Bath_Student
You've calculated the mol in 25cm^3, not in 250cm^3. This is important because the mass (1.96g) corresponds with 250cm^3.

What must you do now?

Then, remember to subtract the molar mass of (OH)2.

You multiply the moles by 10 and find the mass. Answer is calcium right? (39.962)
You multiply the moles by 10 and find the mass. Answer is calcium right? (39.962)

All correct!
Reply 6
All correct!

Okay, so to do a titration, you want to find out the concentration of an unknown right? This could be a base or an acid, it just depends. Anyway, let's say your unknown is a hydrochloric acid, so, to find out the concentration, you need to titrate it against a base of known concentration, lets say we use NaOH at 1 mol/l, against a known volume of hydrochloric acid, say 25ml.
You need to do the titrations at least 3 times, until you get concordant results (within 0.1ml of each other).

Next, we take the average volume of NaOH from the titrations (don't use the first titration, that's just a practice, only use the two that are concordant to get the average), lets say it's 12.15ml, we use N=CV to work out the number of moles needed to neutralise the hydrochloric acid (remeber v is in litres).
From the number of moles we get, which in this example would be:
n=1x0.01215=0.01215 moles

We use the mole ration from the balanced equation, which for this reaction 1 mole NaOH gives you 1 Mole HCl, we can work out the concentration as 0.001215 moles of NaOH will react with 0.01215 moles of HCl, so;
concentration of hydrochloric acid= n/v
=0.01215/0.025 = 0.486 mol/l
Original post by Pheonixfeather3
Okay, so to do a titration, you want to find out the concentration of an unknown right? This could be a base or an acid, it just depends. Anyway, let's say your unknown is a hydrochloric acid, so, to find out the concentration, you need to titrate it against a base of known concentration, lets say we use NaOH at 1 mol/l, against a known volume of hydrochloric acid, say 25ml.
You need to do the titrations at least 3 times, until you get concordant results (within 0.1ml of each other).

Next, we take the average volume of NaOH from the titrations (don't use the first titration, that's just a practice, only use the two that are concordant to get the average), lets say it's 12.15ml, we use N=CV to work out the number of moles needed to neutralise the hydrochloric acid (remeber v is in litres).

We use the mole ration from the balanced equation, which for this reaction 1 mole NaOH gives you 1 Mole HCl, we can work out the concentration as 0.001215 moles of NaOH will react with 0.01215 moles of HCl, so;

Lay off the drugs :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Pheonixfeather3

Thanks, you explained it really well. I understand it a lot better now. But why is the volume in litres( shouldn't it be dm^3)?
Thanks, you explained it really well. I understand it a lot better now. But why is the volume in litres( shouldn't it be dm^3)?

1 L = 1dm3
Reply 11
1 L = 1dm3

Ahh, alright. Thanks again:tongue:.
Lay off the drugs :smile:

?????
Okay, can someone actually explain to me the basics of titration. Please explain as simply as you can the method.

Then, can you tell me if it is usually acid that is the Unknown. And the for Unknown you find out the moles? Am I correct in thinking so?

Finally, there is always a known in which you can find out the number of moles. Then you use stoichiometry to find out the moles in the Unknown. (do you always use stoichoimetry? And if so why?)This will help find either concentration or volume (depends on which your given) . Is this correct?

C1 x V1 = C2 x V2

Quick Reply

Latest