The Student Room Group

I'm more than just a number - Story of a french med student who failed and raised up

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FrenchUnicorn
Amazing !! Learning languages is great right :cool: Russian !! I've planned to learn it in 2/3 years after learning Czech :3
For now I speak french, english, arabic fluently, I understand german but barely speak it (I don't practise) and I'll start learn Czech in a few months :3

I never been there :lol: I'll go there in may, but yeah my friends went too and enjoyed it ^^
If I go it's for 6 years, after that I'll probably continue my studies in USA (like my 26 year old friend, he failed in France, studied in Budapest and moves to California in a few months, he's my idol :lol: )

Languages is life, one of the few ppl in S to realise that :tongue: always loved the sound of Russian and it could be useful later for work! I understand some german too :smile:

Hahah I could never commit for so long in my life without at least visiting the place but fair enough :biggrin: (I'll stop squatting your thread now :wink: )
Original post by CharlieGEM
I appreciate that all the pressure is not very nice but in the UK two things that are assessed competitively are work experience (massively favouring those with connections to the profession as the official one week program is never enough) and interviews (basically how you interact socially with existing members of the profession). If either of these two is considered to be below a certain standard than you won't get in.

So basically however smart you are, if the existing members of the medical profession don't like you then no place and this is after spending hundreds of hours getting work experience.

Most other countries reserve a significant minority of places to be allocated purely on academic results or entrance exam scores (or both). This makes the profession less conformist in those countries which in turn I think has led to better working practices.

I guess all systems have good points and bad points then :P

Original post by Metrododo
Languages is life, one of the few ppl in S to realise that :tongue: always loved the sound of Russian and it could be useful later for work! I understand some german too :smile:

Hahah I could never commit for so long in my life without at least visiting the place but fair enough :biggrin: (I'll stop squatting your thread now :wink: )

Totally agree !! That's why the coeff in S Bac are too bad :cry2:

Great :3 speaking differents languages is always useful :wink:

That was a pleasure, bye :h: !
Haha yay you started your blog! @FrenchUnicorn:hugs:
Original post by Amellia123
Haha yay you started your blog! @FrenchUnicorn:hugs:

I did ! It looks like people are interested after all :3
:hugs:
Believe it or not , I feel good to talk about all of this .. I used to talk about my failure only with my cloooooser friends, I feel kinda released <3 !
I did ! It looks like people are interested after all :3
Believe it or not , I feel good to talk about all of this .. I used to talk about my failure only with my cloooooser friends, I feel kinda released <3 !

Its really good! I had no idea how different it was to here in the UK :smile: :hugs:

That's good - your blog will be a really good insight to people who wish to do something medical :smile: I'm glad its kind of 'released' you, means you can get it off your chest :smile:
Original post by Amellia123
Its really good! I had no idea how different it was to here in the UK :smile: :hugs:

That's good - your blog will be a really good insight to people who wish to do something medical :smile: I'm glad its kind of 'released' you, means you can get it off your chest :smile:

We are the ONLY country of the whole would who has such a system ><
I have a looooot of things to talk about , you'll now everything a little by little :3

Thanks <3 I feel really good ! You guys were right !! It's the best idea ever !! ;D
We are the ONLY country of the whole would who has such a system ><
I have a looooot of things to talk about , you'll now everything a little by little :3

Thanks <3 I feel really good ! You guys were right !! It's the best idea ever !! ;D

The only one? Wow haha its so different! Haha the mystery will be revealed :smile:
You're welcome, and that's brilliant! :smile:
Omagad .. Never apologize ? WHAT A JERK ~______~
I'm sorry for that, enjoy your gap year tho :3
Ecology ! That's great ! Just like one of my friends :biggrin:

Hahaha where is Bryan :lol: you made my day :' ) ! I did not learn anything at school in english lol, I just learned by mysellf, I have an english obsession since I was younger, I started reading in english and watching movies in english etc and now I can speak fluently :smile: I like to learn new languages \o/
Are you bilingual in french :smile: ?

Edit : I forgot to tell sorry, in Prague/Budapest I start in september 2016 , and in NZ in January 2017 or october 2017, it depends on a lot of things (and honestly I don't wanna wait :P that's why that's my last choice :3)

I'm almost glad that he messed up the application now, i'm absolutely loving the gap year so far, it's nice to take a break and travel a bit :smile:

That's fantastic, it's one of the best ways to learn a language. Again another complaint agains France... but their language classes in schools are terrible as well.
Yeah i'm bilingual now, I was thrown into French school without a word of French, so I had no choice other than to learn quickly. It's a great advantage to have, nice on a CV and I find trying to learn langauges a lot easier. :smile:

Prague and Budapest seem like great cities, definitely on my bucket-list to see one day. How many years would your course be?
Wow! @FrenchUnicorn this is a fantastic start to your blog! I loved reading your first post - you were so detailed and explored lots of aspects of French med school. I love the way you write too, it's really engaging and interesting:yep: Tbh with you, I was so shocked because it looks like it was written by someone who knows English as their first language! Your attitude about getting into that top 331 is fantastic, and even more so after I read that post about the bad news you received. It was very inspirational. I like the way you looked at it positively and called it 'The Start'. I look forward to reading all of the posts that are yet to come! :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by davros1996
I'm almost glad that he messed up the application now, i'm absolutely loving the gap year so far, it's nice to take a break and travel a bit :smile:

That's fantastic, it's one of the best ways to learn a language. Again another complaint agains France... but their language classes in schools are terrible as well.
Yeah i'm bilingual now, I was thrown into French school without a word of French, so I had no choice other than to learn quickly. It's a great advantage to have, nice on a CV and I find trying to learn langauges a lot easier. :smile:

Prague and Budapest seem like great cities, definitely on my bucket-list to see one day. How many years would your course be?

Am sooo happy you enjoy it :biggrin: !!! At least you travel right ? So that's not as bad as it seems :3 !

Ikr ! And yeah the level of languages here.. Let's just say LOL we suck at languages (I'm a particular case) Yes that's great you're bilingual !! And french is a difficult language to learn, well done :smile: !

They're on my bucket list too ! Well my course will depends on a lot of things haha, at least 6 years, then I can do 5-6 years more there , or choose the country I want in Europe or USA/Australia/New Zealand to continue to study there. Right now I'm more like into USA, but I have 6 years to decide so we'll see :P

Original post by Matrix123
Wow! @FrenchUnicorn this is a fantastic start to your blog! I loved reading your first post - you were so detailed and explored lots of aspects of French med school. I love the way you write too, it's really engaging and interesting:yep: Tbh with you, I was so shocked because it looks like it was written by someone who knows English as their first language! Your attitude about getting into that top 331 is fantastic, and even more so after I read that post about the bad news you received. It was very inspirational. I like the way you looked at it positively and called it 'The Start'. I look forward to reading all of the posts that are yet to come! :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're so sweeeet ! I'm glad you enjoyed !! :hugs:
English as first language , that much ?? That's the best compliment I could reveive, thanks :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: <3

Actually I stopped crying thath "start day" but I still had bad moments after it, but don't worry after a few weeks you'll know all about my life :lol:
Thanks for reading <3 :hugs:

You're so sweeeet ! I'm glad you enjoyed !! :hugs:
English as first language , that much ?? That's the best compliment I could reveive, thanks :cry2: :cry2: :cry2: <3

Actually I stopped crying thath "start day" but I still had bad moments after it, but don't worry after a few weeks you'll know all about my life :lol:
Thanks for reading <3 :hugs:

Hehe thanks :colondollar: It's true though - your blog really is amazing so far :jumphug:
Yes! Awwww, you're very welcome - I'm just telling you how I truthfully feel about your English:yep:
Aww that's great to hear. Yeah, unfortunately, no one can get rid of all of their bad moments and days. It's about making the most of what life throws at you - and I think you've done a very good job of that. Haha this is very exciting! You're welcome :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Matrix123
Hehe thanks :colondollar: It's true though - your blog really is amazing so far :jumphug:
Yes! Awwww, you're very welcome - I'm just telling you how I truthfully feel about your English:yep:
Aww that's great to hear. Yeah, unfortunately, no one can get rid of all of their bad moments and days. It's about making the most of what life throws at you - and I think you've done a very good job of that. Haha this is very exciting! You're welcome :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks again !! <3
you know that's weird, I'm a chatting person by nature but I never really talked about my deep and true feelings, not used to it haha but it's releasing :3
Thanks again !! <3
you know that's weird, I'm a chatting person by nature but I never really talked about my deep and true feelings, not used to it haha but it's releasing :3

You're welcome...again! :tongue:
Aww yes I find talking about those kinds of things really does help. I'm glad you're benefitting from this so much. I hope the rest of your blog helps you in the same way. :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bonjouuuuur tout le monde !

Oh em geeee. This is one the greatest blogs to ever blog. Your writing is so enthralling and so fluent! I am so jealous of your linguistic skills, (I am the dishonour in my family, not able to pick up on much in the way of languages) and this a lot better than most Native speaker's writing. :yep:

Okay, so on to the actual content itself. I'm really interested in studying Medicine, and it's so heartbreaking how broken the system was for you. I am so excited to hear more about your journey and how you bounced back from it, better and more fabulous than ever (a la Unicorn).

Funnily enough my cousins had actually suggested I study abroad, and in particular, wait for it.... FRANCE. (Go to France, they said. It will be good, they said. :colonhash:)

You are one tough cookie, soon to be the toughest, cookiest surgeon ever, and I'd love to hear more about your epic journey!!

:woo::woo::woo:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by flyingpanda
Oh em geeee. This is one the greatest blogs to ever blog. Your writing is so enthralling and so fluent! I am so jealous of your linguistic skills, (I am the dishonour in my family, not able to pick up on much in the way of languages) and this a lot better than most Native speaker's writing. :yep:

Okay, so on to the actual content itself. I'm really interested in studying Medicine, and it's so heartbreaking how broken the system was for you. I am so excited to hear more about your journey and how you bounced back from it, better and more fabulous than ever (a la Unicorn).

Funnily enough my cousins had actually suggested I study abroad, and in particular, wait for it.... FRANCE. (Go to France, they said. It will be good, they said. :colonhash:)

You are one tough cookie, soon to be the toughest, cookiest surgeon ever, and I'd love to hear more about your epic journey!!

:woo::woo::woo:

I'm touched :cry2: all these compliments :cry2: :cry2: thaaaaank youuuu :cry2: :hugs: :hugs:
The system is AWFUL, and the worse part is that everyone in France agree, but no one does nothing (even our teachers at the med school found the system pretty unfair)

Hahaha honestly studying med here is definitely possible (my story is sad, but there are 331 happy ending tho :h: ) but I would never say to you to go to France.. I would never wish that to ly worse enemy :lol:

Hope you'll make it my friend, may we meet someday as doctors :h:
I'm touched :cry2: all these compliments :cry2: :cry2: thaaaaank youuuu :cry2: :hugs: :hugs:
The system is AWFUL, and the worse part is that everyone in France agree, but no one does nothing (even our teachers at the med school found the system pretty unfair)

Hahaha honestly studying med here is definitely possible (my story is sad, but there are 331 happy ending tho :h: ) but I would never say to you to go to France.. I would never wish that to ly worse enemy :lol:

Hope you'll make it my friend, may we meet someday as doctors :h:

Awe, I hope so.

But hey, this was all an amazing opportunity for you to get to travel to another country to pursue your dream. Even though it seemed as though you might not make it, you were able to overcome it all and now inspire others to follow their own dreams.

PRSOM. :jumphug:
Awe, I hope so.

But hey, this was all an amazing opportunity for you to get to travel to another country to pursue your dream. Even though it seemed as though you might not make it, you were able to overcome it all and now inspire others to follow their own dreams.

PRSOM. :jumphug:

You're right :h: I keep saying myself that maybe it was a gift from the life, she was just trying to help me make my dreams come true (I LOVE to travel so .. :3) and I like adventures, and I learned a lot, and I regret nothing ! This experience made me the person I am today, and I'm glad for it :smile:

You're right :h: I keep saying myself that maybe it was a gift from the life, she was just trying to help me make my dreams come true (I LOVE to travel so .. :3) and I like adventures, and I learned a lot, and I regret nothing ! This experience made me the person I am today, and I'm glad for it :smile:

I'm glad to hear that. :biggrin:

Your blog has also opened me up to the options of study elsewhere. I'd always vaguely known I could study abroad. but was more focused on trying to get into Uni in England. :macarena:

Now I feel slightly more hopeful and prepared to make a good backup plan for in case I don't get in first time.

:jumphug:
I'm glad to hear that. :biggrin:

Your blog has also opened me up to the options of study elsewhere. I'd always vaguely known I could study abroad. but was more focused on trying to get into Uni in England. :macarena:

Now I feel slightly more hopeful and prepared to make a good backup plan for in case I don't get in first time.

:jumphug:

;D

Aw really ? Glad I helped you think about it :h: I really hope you'll be in England (if that's your first choice I mean) :biggrin: ! If you don't, remember the only frontier for your dream is the one you draw yourself <3

Quick Reply

Latest