The Student Room Group

Atheist Q and A

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Unistudent77
Last point:

What other viewpoint is being put forward then?

It wouldn't matter if no other viewpoint were being put forward, that would not justify saying "God did it" which is nothing more than the God of the Gaps fallacy.

Scientists think that before our big bang and universe there were previous big bangs and if we go very, very far back they identify what they have termed a 'singularity'. As i've vaguely outlined before.

No, most scientists have no clue what happened before the Big Bang. Many people have also highlighted that asking this question may not even make sense given that time originated with the expansion. These multiverse and black hole musings are hypotheses, not theories.

There WAS a root cause. It's ridiculous to suggest there wasn't. The singularity must have come about due to something. Be that a chemical process (out of what though?) or by a 'being'...

What's ridiculous is asserting things which have no evidence to back them up. There is no current proof for a cause nor does there need to be as there is no inherent reason why the singularity needs a cause other than religionists' and theists' desire for there to be one. But once again, wanting something to happen or have happened does not make it true or plausible. The singularity may have been eternal or arisen out of fluctuations or caused by natural laws which are not sentient nor magical.

That singualrity is described as a stable and seemingly infinite state. Ok cool but how did it change into a less stable entity? Logic would dictate something caused it to change....

And if you know anything about quantum physics you'll know that at the subatomic level logic as we know it completely disintegrates, never mind the possible properties of a singularity. And once again, this cause, if there were one, need not be supernatural nor sentient.

So i am not saying there is a higher power. However, 'physics' imo does not explain what caused us.

What do you mean by what caused us? That is perfectly and extensively explained by biology, specifically evolution.

It does not solve the problem of infinite regress.

And inserting God to solve this doesn't help as that just creates more questions and once again is nothing more that the God of the Gaps.

There is an answer to the problem of infinite regress but none of us know what that is.
So i don't think atheists nor theists can claim to be superior over the other as a result.

If the theist uses the bible etc and rejects evolution, the big bang etc then that is different.

How do you know there is an answer to it?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kiytt
Theism is the belief that god(s) exists, despite the lack of verifiable evidence for one.

Atheism is the belief that no god(s) exists, as there is no verifiable evidence for one.

Agnosticism is the rejection of a belief in either; the middle ground, if you will.

I would say agnosticism is a lack of knowledge about the existence of a god/gods. I think it's a different issue from belief.
I don't think one can reject to believe either. You either believe a god exists or you lack belief in one. Whether or not you state that you lack sufficient knowledge to know for certain if what you believe is true is a different case.
Just my opinion anyway. :smile:

For example, I am atheist and I do not claim a god definitely doesn't exist as I have no proof and I lack the knowledge to make such a claim. Though I choose not to believe one exists (for a variety of reasons)
That would make me agnostic atheist. But seeing as this stance should be the default for most reasonable atheists I don't need to add the label agnostic as well because it goes without saying.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Unistudent77
Will reply to this tomorrow when i have time.

Agree with a fair bit of what you say

To answer your question:
No.
Only the thought that there could be a higher power and perhaps a karma type system upon death.

I view this as unlikely and far fetched but science does not solve things either (yet anyway).

Sure, cya tomorrow :smile:

Do you think there is a "super-natural force" constantly interfering with day-to-day natural affairs?

I am a bit confused at what you're refering but science does not claim to answer all of everyone's questions... another set of ideology does, do you think it does a good job?. It's almost like trying to judge a fish by its ability to climb trees.
Reply 503
Original post by StrawbAri
I would say agnosticism is a lack of knowledge about the existence of a god/gods. I think it's a different issue from belief.
I don't think one can reject to believe either. You either believe a god exists or you lack belief in one. Whether or not you state that you lack sufficient knowledge to know for certain of what you believe is true is a different case.
Just my opinion anyway.

In this subject matter, there are no proven facts or truths relating to whether god exists, only evidence—of dubious plausibility.

"Knowledge" is the accumulation of proven facts; since none exist, everyone lacks knowledge about the existence of god(s), not just agnostics. Acknowledging evidence, which there is, is not the same as accumulating knowledge.

A belief is a belief because it's unknown whether it is true or false. You can be convinced it is either one or the other, but never certain. Certainty arrives through confirmation of its truth or falseness, which requires sufficient verifiable evidence—which currently doesn't exist.

For example, I am atheist and I do not claim a god definitely doesn't exist as I have no proof and I lack the knowledge to make such a claim. Though I choose not to believe one exists (for a variety of reasons)

This is exactly what atheism is.

That would make me agnostic atheist. But seeing as this stance should be the default for most reasonable atheists I don't need to add the label agnostic as well because it goes without saying.

This is an oxymoron; you cannot simultaneously reject belief and accept belief. Combining two terms that are in direct contradiction of one another for the sake of distinguishing atheists who accept that they aren't certain that god doesn't exist (which nobody can be anyway) from atheists who claim to be certain (which they cannot be) is needless.

These are facts. The above is not a matter of opinion.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kiytt
In this subject matter, there are no proven facts or truths relating to whether god exists, only evidence—of dubious plausibility.

"Knowledge" is the accumulation of proven facts; since none exist, everyone lacks knowledge about the existence of god(s), not just agnostics. Acknowledging evidence, which there is, is not the same as accumulating knowledge.

A belief is a belief because it's unknown whether it is true or false. You can be convinced it is either one or the other, but never certain. Certainty arrives through confirmation of its truth or falseness, which requires sufficient verifiable evidence—which currently doesn't exist.

I'm not disputing this actually. In fact I agree

I was just trying to point out I don't see agnosticism as a 'third option' to theism or atheism.
Reply 505
I'm not disputing this actually. In fact I agree

I was just trying to point out I don't see agnosticism as a 'third option' to theism or atheism.

You are insisting that "agnostic atheism" is a valid label, and that agnosticism is the lack of knowledge, rather than a rejection of belief.

Why isn't it a third option? Surely you don't have to have a belief?
Perhaps my dog is an atheist. He most probably lacks a belief in one. Does that make inanimate objects atheist? A door doesn't have beliefs and neither does a table.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kiytt

This is exactly what atheism is.

This is an oxymoron; you cannot simultaneously reject belief and accept belief. Combining two terms that are in direct contradiction of one another for the sake of distinguishing atheists who accept that they aren't certain that god doesn't exist (which nobody can be anyway) from atheists who claim to be certain (which they cannot be) is needless.

That depends on how you define agnosticism. Clearly you define it as a 'rejection of belief'. I see it as what its literal meaning implies and that is 'without knowledge'. I also see it as something that is different to stating ones beliefs which is why I don't think it can be a third option. People who label themselves 'agnostics' are pretty much fence sitters that are looking for a label to quantify it because everyone else (that's logical anyway) is agnostic as well.

Well, in my post I said one shouldn't even have to state 'I am agnostic atheist' because it goes without saying. Any logical person can't be 100% certain in their beliefs hence why they are beliefs in the first place.

I say it's my opinion because there are many varying opinions on this issue and varying definitions of the word 'agnosticism'.
(edited 8 years ago)
I say it's my opinion because there are many varying opinions on this issue and varying definitions of the word 'agnosticism'.

There are no varying opinions on this issue in the literature. If you're going to engage in another discussion on agnosticism, at least read and address the points raised in the following post a few pages back.

Original post by YesAllMen
Original post by Scrappy-coco
Perhaps my dog is an atheist. He most probably lacks a belief in one. Does that make inanimate objects atheist? A door doesn't have beliefs and neither does a table.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm... I must say I have never asked myself this question before.

A tree that lacks fruit is described as acarpous. A mammal also lacks fruit, but it would be rather odd to refer to a mammal as being acarpous. It only makes sense to talk of something as being acarpous, if it exists in contradiction to a similar thing which does bare fruit. Certain trees do bare fruit, and so those trees that don't bare fruit are contrasted by their lack of fruit.

If there were theistic dogs and doors, then I think it would be a useful term, but until then, an atheistic dog is no more logical/illogical than an acarpous dog.
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
There are no varying opinions on this issue in the literature. If you're going to engage in another discussion on agnosticism, at least read and address the points raised in the following post a few pages back.

Yes there are. Many. I cited 5 different prominent atheists that agree with me plus websites that hold the same opinion.
I did address his 'points' but unfortunately we were going around in circles and he failed to convince me otherwise.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes there are. Many. I cited 5 different prominent atheists that agree with me plus websites that hold the same opinion.
I did address his 'points' but unfortunately we were going around in circles and he failed to convince me otherwise.

It was explained why those prominent atheists are wrong, and why very few, if any contemporary philosopher of religion uses terms like agnostic, atheist, etc in the way you're using them. Moreover, random atheists bloggers and writers are not experts; this is a classic case of a fallacious appeal to authority. The arguments presented by those atheists have been dealt in the literature, and the Reddit post quoted earlier does an excellent job of summarising the problems with such arguments. But if you're going to use blogs and random websites to counter the definitions used in the relevant literature, then we might as well stop here.
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
It was explained why those prominent atheists are wrong, and why very few, if any contemporary philosopher of religion uses terms like agnostic, atheist, etc in the way you're using them. Moreover, random atheists bloggers and writers are not experts; this is a classic case of a fallacious appeal to authority. The arguments presented by those atheists have been dealt in the literature, and the Reddit post quoted earlier does an excellent job of summarising the problems with such arguments. But if you're going to use blogs and random websites to counter the definitions used in the relevant literature, then we might as well stop here.

Stupidly, the TSR app doesn't let you positive rate. But good post!

If I'm not mistaken, agnosticism is still used to mean 'non committal' in every context except the question of God's existence. Which seems incredibly arbitrary.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 513
That depends on how you define agnosticism. Clearly you define it as a 'rejection of belief'. I see it as what its literal meaning implies and that is 'without knowledge'. I also see it as something that is different to stating ones beliefs which is why I don't think it can be a third option. People who label themselves 'agnostics' are pretty much fence sitters that are looking for a label to quantify it because everyone else (that's logical anyway) is agnostic as well.

Well, in my post I said one shouldn't even have to state 'I am agnostic atheist' because it goes without saying. Any logical person can't be 100% certain in their beliefs hence why they are beliefs in the first place.

Right, thanks for clarifying.

I feel the general definition of the term is redundant, since everyone is without knowledge naturally. Abiding by this definition, theists and atheists should be technically referred to as "agnostic theists" and "agnostic atheists"—which is blatantly dumb as it has a meaning which is implied by the fact the purpose of such labels are to categorise beliefs, which inherently lack knowledge. You understand this as well.

If you consider agnostics to be fence-sitters, isn't that implying that they are choosing not to believe one way or the other—which in other words, IS a rejection of belief?
Original post by The Epicurean
Hmm... I must say I have never asked myself this question before.

A tree that lacks fruit is described as acarpous. A mammal also lacks fruit, but it would be rather odd to refer to a mammal as being acarpous. It only makes sense to talk of something as being acarpous, if it exists in contradiction to a similar thing which does bare fruit. Certain trees do bare fruit, and so those trees that don't bare fruit are contrasted by their lack of fruit.

If there were theistic dogs and doors, then I think it would be a useful term, but until then, an atheistic dog is no more logical/illogical than an acarpous dog.

You know, as I was writing it I thought 'you could simply say that an atheist is defined as _someone_ who lacks a belief in God'.

So it only makes sense when applied to a conscious person who has beliefs.

Do you take atheism to be the simple contradiction of theism - that God does not exist - or characterise it is a lack of belief.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You know, as I was writing it I thought 'you could simply say that an atheist is defined as _someone_ who lacks a belief in God'.

So it only makes sense when applied to a conscious person who has beliefs.

Do you take atheism to be the simple contradiction of theism - that God does not exist - or characterise it is a lack of belief.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't believe atheism is a simple contradiction. I have a lack of belief in the paranormal, but I don't use a word to describe myself as one who lacks belief in the paranormal. I think there is a political aspect behind the usage of the term atheist. So whilst yes it is merely a word to describe the state of lacking belief in God, I believe is also carries a lot more meaning beyond that.
I don't believe atheism is a simple contradiction. I have a lack of belief in the paranormal, but I don't use a word to describe myself as one who lacks belief in the paranormal. I think there is a political aspect behind the usage of the term atheist. So whilst yes it is merely a word to describe the state of lacking belief in God, I believe is also carries a lot more meaning beyond that.

What would convince one that they simply lack a belief that the paranormal exists rather than believing that the paranormal does not exist on the lack of strength of evidence for it, and strong evidence against?

Both positions accept that there is no certainty. Both accept that there is not sufficient reason to believe the paranormal to be true. The latter rejects the paranormal, arguing it is probably false. Does the former reject it for the same reason?

If so how do we differentiate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What makes you think there is a god. The problem in the word god is, I think how it is defined.
What would convince one that they simply lack a belief that the paranormal exists rather than believing that the paranormal does not exist on the lack of strength of evidence for it, and strong evidence against?

Both positions accept that there is no certainty. Both accept that there is not sufficient reason to believe the paranormal to be true. The latter rejects the paranormal, arguing it is probably false. Does the former reject it for the same reason?

If so how do we differentiate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This reminds me of the whole "God spoke to me in a dream" and "I dreamt God spoke to me" issue. How does one distinguish between one and the other.

I would say if one lacks a belief in something, they simply don't have the evidence that would convince them to believe in it. Whereas believing something doesn't exist would require some sort of evidence. For example, I don't simply lack a belief in Santa, but rather I genuinely believe Santa doesn't exist.

What is your position in regards to other Gods, that is, all Gods but the God of Christianity? Would you say you lack belief in those Gods, or that you believe those Gods don't exist?

What is your position in regards to other Gods, that is, all Gods but the God of Christianity? Would you say you lack belief in those Gods, or that you believe those Gods don't exist?

According the the Bible, the Christian god believes other gods exist. He is jealous of them and forbids worship of them. You'd imagine Christians must believe in them too, wouldn't you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending