The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP3 - 27th June, 2016

Scroll to see replies

Ergh it feels so intimidating to revise for this.

Doesn't help that in my mock next week, our paper is a joint FP2-FP3 mock :cry2:

May as well forfeit :getmecoat:
Original post by DylanJ42
where did you get the 2015 paper? its not available on edexcels website yet and a google search brought up nothing

Google Bilal Ahmed's edexcel blog
Original post by DylanJ42
where did you get the 2015 paper? its not available on edexcels website yet and a google search brought up nothing

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/52c1f91ee4b0a77a50337e61/t/56bf993445bf2148c207a5ba/1455397182342/Edexcel+FP3+June+2015.pdf
Original post by Student403

Doesn't help that in my mock next week, our paper is a joint FP2-FP3 mock :cry2:

Don't be intimidated! There's some really interesting maths in FP2/3. I'd much rather do these units than something like statistics...
Original post by A Slice of Pi
Don't be intimidated! There's some really interesting maths in FP2/3. I'd much rather do these units than something like statistics...

There's nothing wrong with statistics :wink:

Oh don't get me wrong FP2/3 are my favourite pure modules ever. I especially love every topic in FP2. The problem I have is that each topic seems to have some aspects of memorization. A lot of it is understanding, yes, but there is a memory aspect which I never do well in - that is simply remembering all the techniques in my toolbox!
Original post by BBeyond

No but I just find the pure units more interesting
Original post by BBeyond

Oh don't get me wrong FP2/3 are my favourite pure modules ever. I especially love every topic in FP2. The problem I have is that each topic seems to have some aspects of memorization. A lot of it is understanding, yes, but there is a memory aspect which I never do well in - that is simply remembering all the techniques in my toolbox!

There's always a fair bit of memorisation, with any of the units. But if you have a good understanding of the topics then it should get easier to remember these things. There's always a logic to these concepts too, which helps.
There's always a fair bit of memorisation, with any of the units. But if you have a good understanding of the topics then it should get easier to remember these things. There's always a logic to these concepts too, which helps.

That's true. But I guess with pure the concepts are the most abstract of any of the modules, no? As in there's new maths entirely as opposed to applied maths
That's true. But I guess with pure the concepts are the most abstract of any of the modules, no? As in there's new maths entirely as opposed to applied maths

I guess so. Thinking about it, when it comes to topics like reduction formulae it's not really a matter of memorising but being able to spot how to split the integral when integrating by parts. This sometimes isn't obvious, especially with recent papers. The one on June 2014's paper springs to mind here...
I guess so. Thinking about it, when it comes to topics like reduction formulae it's not really a matter of memorising but being able to spot how to split the integral when integrating by parts. This sometimes isn't obvious, especially with recent papers. The one on June 2014's paper springs to mind here...

Oh right yes - I did encounter a problem child on one of them - though always it'll be one or the other. One doesn't work, try the other.
Reply 173

C'mon man if I can do alright on past papers, you can do fine in your mock!!
Reply 174
The worst part about FP3 is that it delves into some topics that have the potential to be absolutely horrible if Edexcel wants it to be. All that algebraic manipulation under exam pressure can get quite stressful. Regards to everyone doing S2 on the same day.
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
C'mon man if I can do alright on past papers, you can do fine in your mock!!

I hope that wasn't you putting yourself down :erm: cause dude you are very talented in pure xD
Reply 176
I hope that wasn't you putting yourself down :erm: cause dude you are very talented in pure xD

Tons of work to do before June, man. I just realised that M3 is a little over 2 months away...
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
Tons of work to do before June, man. I just realised that M3 is a little over 2 months away...

:coma:
I take it this was a very difficult paper? Let me guess conics and reduction formulae were the worst questions...

Objectively, I'm not so sure it was very difficult, but for an Edexcel exam, certainly, and given the grade boundaries I guess you'd have to say so. I think my own perception is marred by the fact I was very tired at that point, and in completely the wrong frame of mind, so I just completely ****ed it and got around 60-62/75 raw marks or something (translated from 95 UMS lmao) There was a bad reduction question and the conics were both bad but I think the first one may have been more awkward for me and the second I had the right idea but just bad time...or maybe the other way round lol. There were also very weird eigenvalues in a matrix, but apart from all that it was standard I think.

Oooh. It looks ok I guess conics can be a pain and trig reductions can be a bit odd. I will leave this paper for last!

My friend took this in year 12 and got a B originally, he then requested it for remark and ended up with 100 UMS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending