The Student Room Group

I got into Harris Westminster!

I got into Harris Westminster and I think it's my first choice but I don't actually know much about the school, I was wondering if someone could answer some of my questions, if you go there now I'd like to know what it's like. Some of the many questions:

- Is everyone put into forms?
- Do you have assembly every Monday, Wednesday & Friday?
- I checked the weekly timings and the length of lunch ranged from 1hr 10mins to 20mins! What does this mean???
- Is PE compulsory?
- Is anything compulsory?
- What time does school finish?
- Are you allowed late starts if you don't have a lesson in the morning?
- How much independence do you get?

Any Information would be a great help
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nasm
I got into Harris Westminster and I think it's my first choice but I don't actually know much about the school, I was wondering if someone could answer some of my questions, if you go there now I'd like to know what it's like. Some of the many questions:

- I checked the weekly timings and the length of lunch ranged from 1hr 10mins to 20mins! What does this mean???
- Is PE compulsory?

Thanks
congrats, I'm in the same boat as you. I couldn't make it to the open day and know next to nothing about the school 😢
Reply 2
Original post by Thedaniellamary
congrats, I'm in the same boat as you. I couldn't make it to the open day and know next to nothing about the school 😢

Hey, congrats to you too, and I really hope someone can answer some of my questions, is HWSF your first choice?
Original post by nasm
Hey, congrats to you too, and I really hope someone can answer some of my questions, is HWSF your first choice?
thank you, yes I hope so too. Yeah, for sure. I was intending to go to Latymer, Dame Alice Owens or Camden School for Girls and I genuinely wasn't expecting an offer from HWSF so for sure I'd love to attend there. What about you? :smile:
Original post by nasm

- Is PE compulsory?

Thanks

Congrats, you made a good choice. :biggrin: As for your questions:

- Yes
- We have one or two assemblies each week. On the Mondays/Wednesdays/Fridays that we don't have assemblies, we have form time.
- Did you look at this one? They range from 50 minutes to 1hr 20 minutes. :tongue:
- There are some non-physical activities you can choose from to fill the "Sport" period of the timetable, if you don't intend on doing Sports. I recommend Bridge, if you like card games.
- Some things are, some things aren't. Lessons, assemblies, sport and lab are compulsory, as well as some whole school events, but not all of them.
- When your last lesson finishes. Usually 4:10 pm. If you have a free period then, you can miss the last period.
- Yes, but only 1 period's worth. I have three consecutive frees on Thursday morning, but I have to come in and study for the second and third.
- A decent amount. Can't give you any examples of times when I've really felt amazed by how much independence I have, but there's really nothing I'd like to do on a daily basis which I'm not allowed to. (May not be the case for others.)
Reply 5
Is it really awkward on the first day?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
thank you, yes I hope so too. Yeah, for sure. I was intending to go to Latymer, Dame Alice Owens or Camden School for Girls and I genuinely wasn't expecting an offer from HWSF so for sure I'd love to attend there. What about you? :smile:

Yeah, definitely my first choice.
Original post by Onanwo
Is it really awkward on the first day?

Yeah a bit, but everyone makes friends pretty quickly.
Reply 8
Original post by StrangeBanana
Congrats, you made a good choice. :biggrin: As for your questions:

- Yes
- We have one or two assemblies each week. On the Mondays/Wednesdays/Fridays that we don't have assemblies, we have form time.
- Did you look at this one? They range from 50 minutes to 1hr 20 minutes. :tongue:
- There are some non-physical activities you can choose from to fill the "Sport" period of the timetable, if you don't intend on doing Sports. I recommend Bridge, if you like card games.
- Some things are, some things aren't. Lessons, assemblies, sport and lab are compulsory, as well as some whole school events, but not all of them.
- When your last lesson finishes. Usually 4:10 pm. If you have a free period then, you can miss the last period.
- Yes, but only 1 period's worth. I have three consecutive frees on Thursday morning, but I have to come in and study for the second and third.
- A decent amount. Can't give you any examples of times when I've really felt amazed by how much independence I have, but there's really nothing I'd like to do on a daily basis which I'm not allowed to. (May not be the case for others.)

Hey! Thank you so much for answering all my questions,and I feel a bit cheeky asking even more :biggrin::biggrin:

-How long are assemblies and what happens in them?
-When do you choose what 'sport' to do?
-What is 'Lab'?
-What's the library like?
-What is a typical lunch? (How much is it? Is it tasty?)
-Are you always allowed to leave for lunch?
-How strict are they with the 'uniform' (can you get way with wearing black jeans and a smart blouse?)
-How strict are teachers? (talking/chewing in lessons)
-What are punishments like?
-How big are the classes generally?
-What are the houses?
-Are there any pictures of the school?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by nasm
Hey! Thank you so much for answering all my questions,and I feel a bit cheeky asking even more :biggrin::biggrin:

-How long are assemblies and what happens in them?
-When do you choose what 'sport' to do?
-What is 'Lab'?
-What's the library like?
-What is a typical lunch? (How much is it? Is it tasty?)
-Are you always allowed to leave for lunch?
-How strict are they with the 'uniform' (can you get way with wearing black jeans and a smart blouse?)
-How strict are teachers? (talking/chewing in lessons)
-What are punishments like?
-How big are the classes generally?
-What are the houses?
-Are there any pictures of the school?
-How is Saturday school?
-Are you allowed to use the lifts?
-Are your half terms longer due to school on Saturdays?
-What clubs are available?

No problem :tongue:

- Around 20, 25 minutes. In most assemblies, a member of staff (usually the Principal or Vice Principal) tells some kind of story, or discusses a topical issue. Generally, they're designed to teach you something, and make you think. I've enjoyed them a lot.
- At the beginning of every term.
- On one afternoon per week, it's a dedicated time for everyone to study privately, go to their teachers to get specific help in their subjects, or go to a lecture in school (or do a mixture of all of those things). The lectures are usually given by guest speakers, and they're on all sorts of topics from most every subject.
- I have to confess I don't use it very much, but it has a decent number of books, fiction, non-fiction, reference copies of all the recommended text-books for your subjects, and plenty of other interesting stuff. In terms of size, it isn't enormous.
- I just bring my own food, so I'm not the best person to ask. There is a canteen where you can buy stuff, but I do know a lot of people just get food from shops near the school (in particular there is one called Bamboo which seems to have legendary status at the moment).
- Yes
- Guys who don't have ties on are generally going to be called out, but apart from that it's not very strict. You'd get away with it.
- Chewing gum isn't allowed, because some sillies kept sticking it under tables. But, on the whole most of my teachers have treated us like adults. If you're being super disruptive they're not going to tolerate it but if it's just a bit of banter they're usually going to let it slide. It does vary quite a bit from teacher to teacher, though. Some are a lot more chilled out than others.
- Never really had one, so I wouldn't know. :colondollar: I know people get detentions for being late really often.
- About 15 - 20 students (I have about 7 people in each of my Physics and Chemistry classes but that's because my year's really small, not going to be the case for you)
- Garrett, Turing, Wilberforce and Somerville.
- This is from the website, it's the Steel House bit.

Reply 10
No problem :tongue:

- Around 20, 25 minutes. In most assemblies, a member of staff (usually the Principal or Vice Principal) tells some kind of story, or discusses a topical issue. Generally, they're designed to teach you something, and make you think. I've enjoyed them a lot.
- At the beginning of every term.
- On one afternoon per week, it's a dedicated time for everyone to study privately, go to their teachers to get specific help in their subjects, or go to a lecture in school (or do a mixture of all of those things). The lectures are usually given by guest speakers, and they're on all sorts of topics from most every subject.
- I have to confess I don't use it very much, but it has a decent number of books, fiction, non-fiction, reference copies of all the recommended text-books for your subjects, and plenty of other interesting stuff. In terms of size, it isn't enormous.
- I just bring my own food, so I'm not the best person to ask. There is a canteen where you can buy stuff, but I do know a lot of people just get food from shops near the school (in particular there is one called Bamboo which seems to have legendary status at the moment).
- Yes
- Guys who don't have ties on are generally going to be called out, but apart from that it's not very strict. You'd get away with it.
- Chewing gum isn't allowed, because some sillies kept sticking it under tables. But, on the whole most of my teachers have treated us like adults. If you're being super disruptive they're not going to tolerate it but if it's just a bit of banter they're usually going to let it slide. It does vary quite a bit from teacher to teacher, though. Some are a lot more chilled out than others.
- Never really had one, so I wouldn't know. :colondollar: I know people get detentions for being late really often.
- About 15 - 20 students (I have about 7 people in each of my Physics and Chemistry classes but that's because my year's really small, not going to be the case for you)
- Garrett, Turing, Wilberforce and Somerville.
- This is from the website, it's the Steel House bit.

Thank you so much, you've been a MASSIVE help and you've made me soooo excited. Can't wait for September now!

-You mentioned that your doing Chemistry and Physics, how is it? How are the teachers?
-Do you remember your first day? (What happened?)

And I have a bit of a problem, with whether to do three or four a levels, what do you think? I applied to do Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Theology, Philosophy & Ethics - but I don't really want to do TPE any more, but I want to four a levels. I was thinking of replacing it with Biology and was wondering what your opinion was. (+ Are there any extra subjects that you can do off-site if HWSF doesn't offer them)

Thank you so much (again!) :biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by nasm
Thank you so much, you've been a MASSIVE help and you've made me soooo excited. Can't wait for September now!

-You mentioned that your doing Chemistry and Physics, how is it? How are the teachers?
-Do you remember your first day? (What happened?)

And I have a bit of a problem, with whether to do three or four a levels, what do you think? I applied to do Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Theology, Philosophy & Ethics - but I don't really want to do TPE any more, but I want to four a levels. I was thinking of replacing it with Biology and was wondering what your opinion was. (+ Are there any extra subjects that you can do off-site if HWSF doesn't offer them)

Thank you so much (again!) :biggrin::biggrin:

Glad to hear it. :smile:

- Well as for the subject content, I really enjoy both of them. It's challenging (especially Chemistry), but it's really interesting. My teachers are all great. They're really passionate about their subject, and they're good at explaining things.
- I vaguely remember meeting some of the people in my form, that's about it. :tongue:

Sounds good to me (btw you have to do 4 a-levels, so yeah). If you want to switch early on the school will be fine with it. For one or two subjects (History of Art and I think Drama), students get taught at Westminster. Other than that, I'm not sure how much room to manoeuvre you'll have.
(edited 8 years ago)
I've gotten into Harris Westminster too and it is definitely my first choice! I have some questions too if you don't mind.

-Is it very competitive in the classrooms?
-If you are not quite sure on a topic are the teachers willing to go over it with you?
-If you do Maths, Chemistry, Biology or Economics as any of your A-Levels could you tell me how you are finding it and if you enjoy the subject and teaching
-Do you get to see a lot of the Principal or is he more of a 'pop into a random class once in a while' type of Principal?
-What's the social life like outside school? Like parties etc
-Lastly, is everyone like crazy smart because I'm still unsure how I got into Harris :biggrin:

Thank you!

- Well as for the subject content, I really enjoy both of them. It's challenging (especially Chemistry), but it's really interesting. My teachers are all great. They're really passionate about their subject, and they're good at explaining things.
- I vaguely remember meeting some of the people in my form, that's about it. :tongue:

Sounds good to me (btw you have to do 4 a-levels, so yeah). If you want to switch early on the school will be fine with it. For one or two subjects (History of Art and I think Drama), students get taught at Westminster. Other than that, I'm not sure how much room to manoeuvre you'll have.
Original post by alevels124
I've gotten into Harris Westminster too and it is definitely my first choice! I have some questions too if you don't mind.

-Is it very competitive in the classrooms?
-If you are not quite sure on a topic are the teachers willing to go over it with you?
-If you do Maths, Chemistry, Biology or Economics as any of your A-Levels could you tell me how you are finding it and if you enjoy the subject and teaching
-Do you get to see a lot of the Principal or is he more of a 'pop into a random class once in a while' type of Principal?
-What's the social life like outside school? Like parties etc
-Lastly, is everyone like crazy smart because I'm still unsure how I got into Harris :biggrin:

Thank you!

Nice, and yeah no problem

- I wouldn't call it competitive in the classroom, it's not like people are falling over themselves to answer questions before anyone else. When it comes to mocks or class tests, I know I can get pretty competitive with one or two friends. Generally, everyone's just trying to do their best.
- Yes, definitely, that's part of what Lab's for. And you can always ask to see them at other points in the week, when they have time available.
- I do Maths and Chemistry out of those, and I find the teaching outstanding, and the course content enjoyable, for both of them. There's a big jump from GCSE, but it's manageable.
- I see him around school most days (and if you're on the student senate you meet with him every week to discuss any issues students have, stuff like that).
- Well I eat out with some friends after school on occasion, and there are parties most half-term holidays. Not a huge amount, if you're used to hitting the clubs every Friday night (especially considering Saturday school). People do come from a variety of places around London, so there aren't many
- No, not everyone is crazy smart. :tongue: Well done for getting in, though! You'll enjoy it.
Nice, and yeah no problem

- I wouldn't call it competitive in the classroom, it's not like people are falling over themselves to answer questions before anyone else. When it comes to mocks or class tests, I know I can get pretty competitive with one or two friends. Generally, everyone's just trying to do their best.
- Yes, definitely, that's part of what Lab's for. And you can always ask to see them at other points in the week, when they have time available.
- I do Maths and Chemistry out of those, and I find the teaching outstanding, and the course content enjoyable, for both of them. There's a big jump from GCSE, but it's manageable.
- I see him around school most days (and if you're on the student senate you meet with him every week to discuss any issues students have, stuff like that).
- Well I eat out with some friends after school on occasion, and there are parties most half-term holidays. Not a huge amount, if you're used to hitting the clubs every Friday night (especially considering Saturday school). People do come from a variety of places around London, so there aren't many
- No, not everyone is crazy smart. :tongue: Well done for getting in, though! You'll enjoy it.

Thank youu!! I'm quite excited to join, of course if I get the grades I need.:redface: Do you mind me asking if you're in your first or second year of sixth form?
Original post by alevels124
Thank youu!! I'm quite excited to join, of course if I get the grades I need.:redface: Do you mind me asking if you're in your first or second year of sixth form?

Good luck getting them! I'm in the second year.
Reply 16

Hey, thanks - more questions :biggrin:

-What type of bags are you allowed/not allowed? (Is an addidas bag pack allowed?)
-Do you get some sort of planner?
-How often is homework set?
-Does the school ever contact parents (is there a parent-teacher conference)
-Does the school provide books and textbooks?
-Is there ever a free period in the middle of the day (no lessons)
-Are there any rules on hair/makeup/piercings?
-How helpful are they going with uni applications?
Original post by nasm
Hey, thanks - more questions :biggrin:

-What type of bags are you allowed/not allowed? (Is an addidas bag pack allowed?)
-Do you get some sort of planner?
-How often is homework set?
-Does the school ever contact parents (is there a parent-teacher conference)
-Does the school provide books and textbooks?
-Is there ever a free period in the middle of the day (no lessons)
-Are there any rules on hair/makeup/piercings?
-How helpful are they going with uni applications?

- Whatever you want (within reason), so yeah, that'd definitely be allowed.
- Nope, you're expected to provide your own stationary
- That varies a bit, but it's usually once a week.
- There are a couple of parents' evenings every year, where your parents can meet all your teachers
- Yeah, they loan out textbooks to everyone for a year (so you'd get your AS textbooks at the beginning of year 12 and then give it back after exams).
- Some people do have them, yeah
- Not really, as long as it's not completely ridiculous.
- They were extremely helpful with my application. Each student gets a mentor (a teacher of the subject they're applying for, or the most closely related subject for their course), who supports them with writing their UCAS statement, helping them decide on which Unis to apply for, stuff like that. They also organised practice interviews, which were really useful, and gave me very specific advice on how to make my application the best it could be.
(edited 8 years ago)
Thank you to replying to these posts, they're extremely helpful and I'm even more excited to join

-Do the skirts/trousers for girls have to be a specific colour?
-Before we join will we get sent letters/packs etc?
-Do you have any advice in general for joining HWSF?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you to replying to these posts, they're extremely helpful and I'm even more excited to join

-Do the skirts/trousers for girls have to be a specific colour?
-Before we join will we get sent letters/packs etc?
-Do you have any advice in general for joining HWSF?

You're welcome :smile:

- Nope
- You'll probably get a letter, maybe a prospectus
- Well, get ready for some hard work. :tongue: But make sure you don't worry about it. It'll be a fun two years.

Quick Reply