This discussion is closed.
RayApparently
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
B944 - Bank Holidays Bill 2016, TSR Government
BANK HOLIDAYS BILL 2016
An Act reforming the dates of bank holidays.

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen's most excellent Majesty, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

1: DEFINITIONS
(1) "Bank Holiday" is defined in the Banking and Financial Dealings Act 1971.

2: REPEAL OF EXISTING BANK HOLIDAYS
(1) The bank holiday dates set out in Schedule 1 to the Banking and Financial Dealings Act 1971 are repealed.

3: NATIONAL BANK HOLIDAYS
(1) The following dates are bank holidays in the United Kingdom:
(1) a. 1 January (New Year's Day)
(1) b. Good Friday
(1) c. Easter Sunday
(1) d. Easter Monday
(1) e. 18 June (Waterloo Day)
(1) f. 11 November (Armistice Day)
(1) g. 25 December (Christmas Day)

4: REGIONAL BANK HOLIDAYS
(1) The following additional dates are bank holidays in England:
(1) a. 23 April (St George's Day)
(1) b. The first Monday in May (May Day)
(1) c. The final Monday in August (August Bank Holiday)
(1) d. 26 December (Boxing Day)
(2) The following additional dates are bank holidays in Wales:
(2) a. 1 March (St David's Day)
(2) b. The first Monday in May (May Day)
(2) c. The final Monday in August (August Bank Holiday)
(2) d. 26 December (Boxing Day)
(3) The following additional dates are bank holidays in Northern Ireland:
(3) a. 17 March (St Patrick's Day)
(3) b. The first Monday in May (May Day)
(3) c. The final Monday in August (August Bank Holiday)
(3) d. 26 December (Boxing Day)
(4) The following additional dates are bank holidays in Scotland:
(4) a. 2 January (Hogmanay)
(4) b. The first Monday in May (May Day)
(4) c. The first Monday in August (August Bank Holiday)
(4) d. 30 November (St Andrew's Day)
(4) e. 26 December (Boxing Day)

5: MOVING OF BANK HOLIDAYS
(1) With the exception of Easter Sunday, where a bank holiday falls on a Saturday or Sunday, it is moved to the next weekday that is not a bank holiday.

6: DEVOLUTION AND ADDITION OF BANK HOLIDAYS
(1) The National Assembly for Wales controls the list of holidays set out in 4(2).
(2) The Northern Ireland Assembly controls the list of holidays set out in 4(3).
(3) The Scottish Parliament controls the list of holidays set out in 4(4).
(4) The Department for Culture, Communications and Connectivity may set out in any one financial year two extra bank holidays to be observed in that year in the United Kingdom and one further extra bank holiday to be observed in that year in England only.
(5) The Welsh Government may set out in any one financial year one extra bank holiday to be observed in that year in Wales.
(6) The Northern Ireland Executive may set out in any one financial year one extra bank holiday to be observed in that year in Northern Ireland.
(7) The Scottish Government may set out in any one financial year one extra bank holiday to be observed in that year in Scotland.
(8) Six months' notice must be given after any amendment to the lists of bank holidays by any body before the new list of bank holidays comes into effect.

7: COMMENCEMENT, SHORT TITLE AND EXTENT
(1) This Act may be cited as the Bank Holidays Act 2016.
(2) This Act shall extend to the United Kingdom; and
(3) Shall come into force on the 1st of April 2017.

Notes
This bill reforms and simplifies the bank holiday system in the UK. Some holidays established only in common law are codified and the full list is put together in one place.

There are also new bank holidays for the four patron saints' days and Waterloo Day, a new British national day. For the first time control over some bank holidays is devolved to Wales, and control over a core list of UK-wide bank holidays is reserved to Westminster.
adam9317
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It is clear the government hasn't done its research within Northern Ireland.

The 12th July is a big public/ bank holiday- which needs to be included in this, as its probably the most profile 'holiday/ bank holiday' after Christmas, maybe easter in NI
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm opposed to this as I'd rather end bank holidays.
TheDefiniteArticle
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Waterloo Day seems a little out of place in the core list.
EricAteYou
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Aye.

A great step to codify an important part of our culture ; something I imagine businesses can appreciate.
GaelicBolshevik
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by adam9317)
It is clear the government hasn't done its research within Northern Ireland.

The 12th July is a big public/ bank holiday- which needs to be included in this, as its probably the most profile 'holiday/ bank holiday' after Christmas, maybe easter in NI
"big public/bank holiday"

The provocative Orange March which causes shite like this?:
adam9317
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DMcGovern)
"big public/bank holiday"

The provocative Orange March which causes shite like this?:
It should still be given a public holiday; as for the marches, thats a different story!
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
We should have Remembrance Day not Waterloo Day. Much as some of what goes on is extremely distasteful and will not be supported by many if not all members of the House, I think July 12th should be kept in Northern Ireland.

Six months notice for change is far too short for people such as airlines and holiday attractions to plan ahead. At least two years I suggest.
TheDefiniteArticle
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Also, because nobody gives a **** about easter because it's the 21st century, I'd consider replacing those with NYE, Christmas Eve and maybe Dec 27th.
GaelicBolshevik
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by adam9317)
It should still be given a public holiday; as for the marches, thats a different story!
Yeah, true, I'll concede that so!
GaelicBolshevik
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
Also, because nobody gives a **** about easter because it's the 21st century, I'd consider replacing those with NYE, Christmas Eve and maybe Dec 27th.
That's a bit harsh on the Christian lads TDA - even so it's a great excuse for agnostics to go around getting fat on chocolate eggs...
username1899909
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Waterloo day ? Why ?
balanced
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
12th July in NI, perhaps you could include that.
Andy98
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Maybe
GaelicBolshevik
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by hazzer1998)
Waterloo day ? Why ?
I think it's an attempt at an English 'Independence Day', although there have never been any pivotal events in English history to earn an independence day, and Scotland and Wales still aren't.

DRINK!!
Wellzi
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DMcGovern)
I think it's an attempt at an English 'Independence Day', although there have never been any pivotal events in English history to earn an independence day, and Scotland and Wales still aren't.

DRINK!!
The Americans aren't the only ones allowed to celebrate a pivotal moment in their nations history you know...
GaelicBolshevik
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Wellzi)
The Americans aren't the only ones allowed to celebrate a pivotal moment in their nations history you know...
Why would you think I was trying to say that? I'm not American, I'm Irish - we should, although we've had a few of them so it's complicated, but I think it'd be 19 January 1921...

I've drifted.

What I'm saying is the English were never really oppressed by anyone or had a successful revolution so they've never had an independence day. Another provocative point would be that they were too busy oppressing other countries to get oppressed themselves...

DRINK!!
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
I'm opposed to this as I'd rather end bank holidays.
This.

Reduce the number of bank holidays to the 24th-26th December and 31st/1st Jan and then give us all an extra three days holiday pay.

The state has no place in telling me which days i have to reduce my potential earnings on.

Nay.
Lime-man
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
This.

Reduce the number of bank holidays to the 24th-26th December and 31st/1st Jan and then give us all an extra three days holiday pay.

The state has no place in telling me which days i have to reduce my potential earnings on.

Nay.
+rep
Katty3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
Christmas Eve is a Christian tradition, hence the Christ in the name.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (48)
31.58%
No - I have already returned home (19)
12.5%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (33)
21.71%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
9.21%
No - I live at home during term anyway (38)
25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed