The Student Room Group

UKMT Intermediate Mathematical Olympiad 2016

So today was the day of the all the IMOs. How did everyone think they went?

I found question 6 of the Maclaurin particularly challenging (and annoyingly proved it 15 minutes after the end of the challenge).
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I did questions 1-4 of the Maclaurin in the first hour and then got nothing done in the second which was kind of annoying... I was hoping to do more
Reply 2
That's unlucky. I saw 1,2,3 and 5 really quickly, but struggled to see 4 for a while.
Yeah... last ever intermediate olympiad, sad times. I've always been just short of a distinction but the boundaries are lower for Maclaurin so fingers crossed for this year. I found 3 and 4 the easiest, my answer for 2 was quite long and wordy. Any hints for how to do 6? Also, did you do BMO1/2 this year?
Reply 4
Original post by Aldrstream
Yeah... last ever intermediate olympiad, sad times. I've always been just short of a distinction but the boundaries are lower for Maclaurin so fingers crossed for this year. I found 3 and 4 the easiest, my answer for 2 was quite long and wordy. Any hints for how to do 6? Also, did you do BMO1/2 this year?

I just missed out on BMO1 by 2 marks, and my teacher wouldn't enter me which was irritating.

For questions 6, as a hint, my proof involves the angle between the line joining the squares and the edge of one of the squares.
Reply 5
Did anyone else do the Hamilton? I found it very simple. I really don't like the year group seperation, it's so annoying that I couldn't get into the Maclaurin despite getting 123.
I got 1-4 and 5 I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did everyone do the perpendicular on 3 with coordinate geometry I want to see a different solution

Posted from TSR Mobile
For y you had to extend the line and make a parallelogram

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I see your solution for 6 now, but I original would've solved it differently (completely algebraically). I presume it is something like this.
q6geometry.png
I originally thought of solving it like this:

Attachment not found
Reply 11
I did the Hamilton. For 1 i got 840 (by multiplying out the single digit primes N is a factor of 210). For 2 I just used pythagoras' theorem on the quarter circle and continued from there. For 3 I got 41 (although I think this is wrong). For 4 I got 2 root 3 and for 5 i got 4 possibilities (the integers must be consecutive). What about you?
I answered 1-5 fully
Original post by 123Master321
How did people do 5 on maclaurin my solution worked but was messy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you allowed to share questions yet? Or do you have to wait until tomorrow, cos I'd actually quite like to have a short look at them.
Original post by Renzhi10122
Are you allowed to share questions yet? Or do you have to wait until tomorrow, cos I'd actually quite like to have a short look at them.

I can pm them if you want
(edited 8 years ago)
How many marks is normal for the maths summer camp?
Original post by TauBilly
How many marks is normal for the maths summer camp?

I know of people who got 36 in Maclaurin and were invited
I can pm them if you want

Yes please :smile:
I know of people who got 36 in Maclaurin and were invited

I'm assuming that's low though right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending