The Student Room Group

Been let down by my sixth form

//Sorry if this is in the wrong place//

I'm currently in Year 11 so have already had to choose my A-level options. My original choices were Maths, Further Maths and German, with Physics as my reserve. However, (although it was quite inevitable) I am unable to do German due to a lack of numbers (I'm literally the only one from both my school and the school we're paired with that wants to do it) so I'm really upset that I'm stuck with my reserve instead of a subject I'm really interested in. Is there any way of doing it outside of school? Ideally I wanted to have it as a backup in case maths failed me, but now all my subjects are very maths-based and I'm worried. Can anyone help me, should I stick to my new 3 or are there any other options? Thank you

Scroll to see replies

You can ask the school if they would allow you to sit the exams in the school and teach yourself the content...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by NiamhM1801

I'm currently in Year 11 so have already had to choose my A-level options. My original choices were Maths, Further Maths and German, with Physics as my reserve. However, (although it was quite inevitable) I am unable to do German due to a lack of numbers (I'm literally the only one from both my school and the school we're paired with that wants to do it) so I'm really upset that I'm stuck with my reserve instead of a subject I'm really interested in. Is there any way of doing it outside of school? Ideally I wanted to have it as a backup in case maths failed me, but now all my subjects are very maths-based and I'm worried. Can anyone help me, should I stick to my new 3 or are there any other options? Thank you

Ask them if you can self study it. I did A-level Portuguese and Spanish (both AS and A2 at the same time) 2yrs ago, despite the fact that I was the only one.

The only problem is getting motivation to self-teach yourself throughout the year. Languages at A-level is difficult in my opinion, so ask your school if they would be able to support you in someway whilst self-teaching (or get a private tutor).
Original post by kkboyk
Ask them if you can self study it. I did A-level Portuguese and Spanish (both AS and A2 at the same time) 2yrs ago, despite the fact that I was the only one.

The only problem is getting motivation to self-teach yourself throughout the year. Languages at A-level is difficult in my opinion, so ask your school if they would be able to support you in someway whilst self-teaching (or get a private tutor).

How did youu go about teaching it to yourself? I'm considering this as I don't think I have much other choice

Could the school arrange a distance learning course? My friend did Italian A level like this.
Reply 5

I'm doing AS Maths, Further Maths and Physics too. (my 4th is Economics). You're right in saying that the subjects are very maths-based, so if you are genuinely worried at the possibility of not succeeding in maths you may not want to do all 3 of them, especially Further Maths. I find that most of my life currently revolves around maths. You'll be doing 6 modules of maths and 2 physics exams containing a lot of maths too.
If you want another possible route instead of maths I'd recommend having either another science (the science route is a strong alternative) or I'd do two slightly related subjects that don't really involve maths and drop one of the 3 you've already decided on. The reason for this is that if you don't do well at maths, it's likely you won't do well at Further maths, and possible you won't do well at physics too. If you only do well in the 4th subject then it's going to be tough after that.
But like I said, this is all based purely on how confident you are with your maths. Also this is all said from my experience with the subjects, so others may have a much different opinion.
Original post by aadil10
I'm doing AS Maths, Further Maths and Physics too. (my 4th is Economics). You're right in saying that the subjects are very maths-based, so if you are genuinely worried at the possibility of not succeeding in maths you may not want to do all 3 of them, especially Further Maths. I find that most of my life currently revolves around maths. You'll be doing 6 modules of maths and 2 physics exams containing a lot of maths too.
If you want another possible route instead of maths I'd recommend having either another science (the science route is a strong alternative) or I'd do two slightly related subjects that don't really involve maths and drop one of the 3 you've already decided on. The reason for this is that if you don't do well at maths, it's likely you won't do well at Further maths, and possible you won't do well at physics too. If you only do well in the 4th subject then it's going to be tough after that.
But like I said, this is all based purely on how confident you are with your maths. Also this is all said from my experience with the subjects, so others may have a much different opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I am good at maths (on track for a high A* at GCSE and hopefully an A^ in Level 2 Further), and maths has always been the route that I want to go down, I would have just preferred to have a subject that's almost a 'break' I guess from all the maths. How are you finding A-levels in those subjects?
Original post by Muttley79
Could the school arrange a distance learning course? My friend did Italian A level like this.

What does this involve? I spoke to my German teacher about it today and she said that there's not really much they can do about it as they're not willing to dedicate extra time to one student (unfortunately for me)
is it the sixth form you really want to go to? like, have you applied anywhere else? because from the sounds of it, german is quite an important factor to you and so it should play a big role in your choice
and if you aren't going to happy doing some of those subjects, don't do them. you'll just get demotivated!
Reply 9
Don't get me wrong, I am good at maths (on track for a high A* at GCSE and hopefully an A^ in Level 2 Further), and maths has always been the route that I want to go down, I would have just preferred to have a subject that's almost a 'break' I guess from all the maths. How are you finding A-levels in those subjects?

That's good to know. I was just commenting on the fact that you said the 4th would be a back up. I'd treat the 4th subject more as a break, yes. Do a subject that you think you'll really enjoy studying (It's likely you'll do better if you enjoy it too). That's why I chose economics. It's by far my favourite subject, despite it being my last choice out of the four.

As to how I'm finding them:
Maths (Core 1, Core 2, Mech 1) - Core 1 and 2 I'm finding really easy. I did an FSMQ maths exam last year and it contained a lot of C1 and 2 content so I kinda already knew half the stuff. M1 however I'm finding slighly tough. It isn't too hard if I think about it. Mostly just using trig and a few other equations. It's just knowing the method to use for a particular problem that I'm struggling with.

Further Maths (Stats 1, Decision 1, Further Pure 1) - S1 is a normal maths module anyway, but it's being counted towards FM for us. It's reaaaally easy :P I think I'll be able to revise the whole content in a few days. D1 is also really easy, although it is really boring and I don't think it'll be useful in the future. FP1 is probably the hardest of all the maths modules but I think it's manageable. It's about as hard as it will get this year and considering these are AS levels, I'm not too worried.

Physics- Probably the hardest subject. I've been working at roughly a C in this compared to an A in my other three subjects. The reason for this is that there is a LOT of content. Similarly with M1, I struggle with knowing the right method to use to answer a problem. Although I did spend all day last week making notes on module 2&3 and managed to condense it all into 12 A4 sides. That assured me quite a lot as it doesn't seem as overwhelming now. Just gotta make module 4 notes now!

Sorry if all that was too in depth xD Let me know if you want any more info on them.
Original post by ithinkitslily
is it the sixth form you really want to go to? like, have you applied anywhere else? because from the sounds of it, german is quite an important factor to you and so it should play a big role in your choice
and if you aren't going to happy doing some of those subjects, don't do them. you'll just get demotivated!

It's the sixth form at my current school and yes it's the only one I've applied to. Unfortunately German A-level is very unpopular everywhere so very few sixth forms in my area even offer it.
I do definitely want to study Maths and Further maths as I want to do maths at university, and I do like physics, just not to a great extent and it's not one of the easiest subjects in the world due to having an appalling teacher in Year 10. So I doubt I'll get demotivated as I do enjoy the subjects, just not as much as I enjoy German.

In South Liverpool schools collaborate and allow sixthformers to attend other institutions particular A levels not taught at the students current school. You could check with you local FE college or sixth forms neighbouring.
Original post by aadil10
That's good to know. I was just commenting on the fact that you said the 4th would be a back up. I'd treat the 4th subject more as a break, yes. Do a subject that you think you'll really enjoy studying (It's likely you'll do better if you enjoy it too). That's why I chose economics. It's by far my favourite subject, despite it being my last choice out of the four.

As to how I'm finding them:
Maths (Core 1, Core 2, Mech 1) - Core 1 and 2 I'm finding really easy. I did an FSMQ maths exam last year and it contained a lot of C1 and 2 content so I kinda already knew half the stuff. M1 however I'm finding slighly tough. It isn't too hard if I think about it. Mostly just using trig and a few other equations. It's just knowing the method to use for a particular problem that I'm struggling with.

Further Maths (Stats 1, Decision 1, Further Pure 1) - S1 is a normal maths module anyway, but it's being counted towards FM for us. It's reaaaally easy :P I think I'll be able to revise the whole content in a few days. D1 is also really easy, although it is really boring and I don't think it'll be useful in the future. FP1 is probably the hardest of all the maths modules but I think it's manageable. It's about as hard as it will get this year and considering these are AS levels, I'm not too worried.

Physics- Probably the hardest subject. I've been working at roughly a C in this compared to an A in my other three subjects. The reason for this is that there is a LOT of content. Similarly with M1, I struggle with knowing the right method to use to answer a problem. Although I did spend all day last week making notes on module 2&3 and managed to condense it all into 12 A4 sides. That assured me quite a lot as it doesn't seem as overwhelming now. Just gotta make module 4 notes now!

Sorry if all that was too in depth xD Let me know if you want any more info on them.

Thank you so much, that was very helpful!

Apparently the level 2 further maths that I'm doing covers a lot of the early a level content so hopefully it won't come as too much of a shock when we start it, and I think I'll still enjoy maths as I always have. (For some reason I tend to cope better with harder maths, I feel more comfortable with further than normal GCSE and I make far fewer mistakes :s-smilie:)

Physics is worrying me slightly. I'm predicted an A* for GCSE and I think I should be able to reach it, but it's always been a subject I've had to revise more than most others (biology and chemistry especially) and I have a feeling the a level content might be a push too far, but at the same time I feel like I will adapt to it better than GCSE and end up doing reasonably well, so who knows.

All I can say is I'm looking forward to sixth form a lot less now :frown:
Reply 13
How did youu go about teaching it to yourself? I'm considering this as I don't think I have much other choice

Youtube and textbooks. Only do it if you genuinely believe it will benefit you, and you would enjoy it.
Original post by kkboyk
Youtube and textbooks. Only do it if you genuinely believe it will benefit you, and you would enjoy it.

Did it work? Were you able to teach it to yourself properly? I feel like if I tried to teach myself I'd end up getting it wrong?
Thank you so much, that was very helpful!

Apparently the level 2 further maths that I'm doing covers a lot of the early a level content so hopefully it won't come as too much of a shock when we start it, and I think I'll still enjoy maths as I always have. (For some reason I tend to cope better with harder maths, I feel more comfortable with further than normal GCSE and I make far fewer mistakes :s-smilie:)

Physics is worrying me slightly. I'm predicted an A* for GCSE and I think I should be able to reach it, but it's always been a subject I've had to revise more than most others (biology and chemistry especially) and I have a feeling the a level content might be a push too far, but at the same time I feel like I will adapt to it better than GCSE and end up doing reasonably well, so who knows.

All I can say is I'm looking forward to sixth form a lot less now :frown:

Don't worry so much about it. A levels are meant to be a big step up from GCSE. But like me, you may find that you thrive in sixth form and if you put the effort in, you'll get through A levels no problem. Physics is the only subject I'm concerned about but I know that if I put the time and effort into solid revision, I have the ability to get the grades I want. As do you from what you've told me. Don't stress, get some advice from teachers if needs be, but most importantly, do what you'll enjoy.
Original post by aadil10
Don't worry so much about it. A levels are meant to be a big step up from GCSE. But like me, you may find that you thrive in sixth form and if you put the effort in, you'll get through A levels no problem. Physics is the only subject I'm concerned about but I know that if I put the time and effort into solid revision, I have the ability to get the grades I want. As do you from what you've told me. Don't stress, get some advice from teachers if needs be, but most importantly, do what you'll enjoy.

Thank you, I won't get stressed over it it's just disappointed me a fair bit. Hopefully I will thrive in sixth form and I will definitely put the effort in to get the grades I need. I'm sure you'll do well in your physics, and good luck with your other subjects!
Thank you, I won't get stressed over it it's just disappointed me a fair bit. Hopefully I will thrive in sixth form and I will definitely put the effort in to get the grades I need. I'm sure you'll do well in your physics, and good luck with your other subjects!

I am doing 3 maths, econ and German AS and whilst I love German, I regret not taking physics. I didn't like it much before but there is a lot of overlap and it goes so well with maths and further that you hopefully would find it easier.

While 3/5 of my subjects are maths, I actually spend more time on German and Econ so the 'break' I wanted actually backfired. But good luck whatever you choose

P.s thinking about it now, I would've failed VERY badly self teaching German. IMO a teacher in a language who is fluent is vital as you get that interaction

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Themathgeek

P.s thinking about it now, I would've failed VERY badly self teaching German. IMO a teacher in a language who is fluent is vital as you get that interaction

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is what I'm thinking. I might just move on and then pick it back up at university to be honest, and focus my time on my main 3 subjects
Reply 19
Did it work? Were you able to teach it to yourself properly? I feel like if I tried to teach myself I'd end up getting it wrong?

It would've worked if I started really early, but I had a huge amount of work to do for my 4 other subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest