The Student Room Group

Bad parents evening, is 2/3 months too late to revise for AS?

I just came back from parents evening in sociology I got a D in economics an E in English Literature a D in maths a D ( B's for c2 and c1 and u in s1)
All of my teachers said the highest I can get is CCDB I would be extremely unhappy with those grades as my dream is to achieve AAAA. My weakness is that I rely too heavily on content rather than exam practice so ild like to focus on that for the next 2 months can someone please motivate me and tell me that its not too late to achieve this I'm willing to work extremely hard! Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by cathartic
I just came back from parents evening in sociology I got a D in economics an E in English Literature a D in maths a D ( B's for c2 and c1 and u in s1)
All of my teachers said the highest I can get is CCDB I would be extremely unhappy with those grades as my dream is to achieve AAAA. My weakness is that I rely too heavily on content rather than exam practice so ild like to focus on that for the next 2 months can someone please motivate me and tell me that its not too late to achieve this I'm willing to work extremely hard! Thank you

It's never too late.
I do Maths and English Literature out of your subjects, for Maths since you know the content it's now about covering the sections you scored the least marks on and going over them topics again practicing questions. Make sure you do plenty of past papers as well and going over them.
English Lit my advice would be to simply make sure you know your texts, quotes, themes, etc. and applying it to exam questions and handing them to your teacher.

Don't give up, you can do it!
It's definitely not too late if you're willing to put in enough effort! One way I try to keep focused on studying is by waking up early, around 5 am, because I can't text anyone that early or anything so I focus better :h: do you know how many hours of studying you're planning to do every day?
Reply 3
Original post by Beat
It's never too late.
I do Maths and English Literature out of your subjects, for Maths since you know the content it's now about covering the sections you scored the least marks on and going over them topics again practicing questions. Make sure you do plenty of past papers as well and going over them.
English Lit my advice would be to simply make sure you know your texts, quotes, themes, etc. and applying it to exam questions and handing them to your teacher.

Don't give up, you can do it!

Thank you! I'll definitely do that!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Christie_xx
It's definitely not too late if you're willing to put in enough effort! One way I try to keep focused on studying is by waking up early, around 5 am, because I can't text anyone that early or anything so I focus better :h: do you know how many hours of studying you're planning to do every day?

Yes I'm willing to do that, I still need to memorise a lot do you think I should memorise while doing exam questions or focus on memorising content only ?? Thank you! And right now as many hours as possible I need to prove these teachers wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Listen young one… The time up till now is redeemable, but not if you sit around and procrastinate! Work hard, play little and then work even harder (y'know until exams are over) and the sky is the limit!
I was a A student across the board until I hit a slump and refused to revise, but 2 weeks (2 weeks! That's right) before my exams I saw the light and started revising… Was I too late? Heck yes, I failed Maths, but! I still managed to get average grades in English and above average grades in Biology (surprisingly, one of the highest in the class). If 2 weeks is enough for lazy ol' me to pass 3 AS levels, I'd say it's more than possible for a hard working student to get As and Bs if they start NOW!
So get of thestudentroom, switch off that Xbox or mobile phone or whatever young UNS do nowadays, and start working. You want someone to tell you can do it? Well I just did, now go and do it! (Harsh love I know)
Yes I'm willing to do that, I still need to memorise a lot do you think I should memorise while doing exam questions or focus on memorising content only ?? Thank you! And right now as many hours as possible I need to prove these teachers wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile

Personally, I find that a mixture of exam questions and flash cards work best for me because that way I'm learning the content as well as exam technique. It might also be helpful for you to have a look through your mock papers and see where you went wrong so you can try to improve. Good luck with your exams, it sounds like you have the right attitude! If you work hard then I'm sure you will do amazingly!:h:
Reply 7
Original post by Zarvee
Listen young one… The time up till now is redeemable, but not if you sit around and procrastinate! Work hard, play little and then work even harder (y'know until exams are over) and the sky is the limit!
I was a A student across the board until I hit a slump and refused to revise, but 2 weeks (2 weeks! That's right) before my exams I saw the light and started revising… Was I too late? Heck yes, I failed Maths, but! I still managed to get average grades in English and above average grades in Biology (surprisingly, one of the highest in the class). If 2 weeks is enough for lazy ol' me to pass 3 AS levels, I'd say it's more than possible for a hard working student to get As and Bs if they start NOW!
So get of thestudentroom, switch off that Xbox or mobile phone or whatever young UNS do nowadays, and start working. You want someone to tell you can do it? Well I just did, now go and do it! (Harsh love I know)

Did you do mainly past papers or memorised ??? I don't know wether I should memorise topics and then do past paper questions after those specific topics or to memorise everything and do past papers on everything after ? Idk if I make sense , thank you you motivated me a lot ! Congratulations :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
not too late but start now!!! and since you got B's in core modules that's still good just work on s1!!! good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I think the teacher's prediction are realistic and I further think they represent best case scenario.
If it was possible to turn around these grades it would be a total insult to the students which will get AAAA, which have been working solid from day 1.
Reply 10
Original post by TeeEm
I think the teacher's prediction are realistic and I further think they represent best case scenario.
If it was possible to turn around these grades it would be a total insult to the students which will get AAAA, which have been working solid from day 1.

So you believe I can't achieve high grades even if I work hard for them ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
So you believe I can't achieve high grades even if I work hard for them ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

the odds are definitely against you ...
I sincerely wish you good luck.

I mean sometimes mock grades just do not show what you'll actually get. Make sure you revise hard for the exams and have a good plan that suits you. I didn't start until two months before the exams but I had a solid revision timetable on my phone and I went through all content three times, and did get all As. In fact a month before the exam I did some physics mock and got a C? I thought that's what I'd get in the real one, but actually when I completed all the revision I got over 90% :smile: just work hard everyday from now on
Do some past papers then, you'll know within the month what you're likely to get, although with content alone you shouldn't be getting a U in statistics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by RonnieRJ
I mean sometimes mock grades just do not show what you'll actually get. Make sure you revise hard for the exams and have a good plan that suits you. I didn't start until two months before the exams but I had a solid revision timetable on my phone and I went through all content three times, and did get all As. In fact a month before the exam I did some physics mock and got a C? I thought that's what I'd get in the real one, but actually when I completed all the revision I got over 90% :smile: just work hard everyday from now on

Thank you so much for replying you've motivated me a lot !!! That's so incredible congratulations I hope to achieve the same I've planned how I'm going to revise for my last few days, what subjects did you take?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you so much for replying you've motivated me a lot !!! That's so incredible congratulations I hope to achieve the same I've planned how I'm going to revise for my last few days, what subjects did you take?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's alright and thanks so much! I'm sure you can with hard work, just learn the things the examiners want to see and exactly how to answer questions :smile:

I took bio, Chem, phys and maths as main subjects, plus Lang and GS as additional! :smile:
Original post by TeeEm
the odds are definitely against you ...
I sincerely wish you good luck.

In my mocks I achieved all A's albeit very low A's back in January but I still have to complete my notes for the rest of the syllabus. In your opinion, with the time left do you think I can still achieve high A's in AS?
I did my AS last year and with in the mocks got 2 D's an E and a U. Like you i left it till about now to actually revise and ended up with ABB(U) so in my opinion mocks are ********. Just revise every night after school then have a chill day on the weekend and you'll be fine
Reply 18
Original post by Anonymous
In my mocks I achieved all A's albeit very low A's back in January but I still have to complete my notes for the rest of the syllabus. In your opinion, with the time left do you think I can still achieve high A's in AS?

it depends on the subjects, your ability and a few other parameters, but I feel this is possible
Original post by RonnieRJ
That's alright and thanks so much! I'm sure you can with hard work, just learn the things the examiners want to see and exactly how to answer questions :smile:

I took bio, Chem, phys and maths as main subjects, plus Lang and GS as additional! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending