The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mr tim
Nice game. 2-0 advantage for us, we get 1st goal next week and they'll need 4 goals. Could easily have been more than 2 goals for us had it not been for De Gea. We'll also have a week's rest.

No way we aren't scoring against this United side.

It could've been 5 or 6...
Odd one where I would've bitten your hand off at 2-0 before the game but now feel like we were short changed.

Basically dominated them in every area of the pitch. They had a couple of half chances and long range shorts at best but did Mignolet make a proper save?

Shame DDG was on good form again and we couldn't be more clinical.

Seems like Fellani elbowed Can in the face just before the final whistle?
Original post by Zerforax
Odd one where I would've bitten your hand off at 2-0 before the game but now feel like we were short changed.

Basically dominated them in every area of the pitch. They had a couple of half chances and long range shorts at best but did Mignolet make a proper save?

Shame DDG was on good form again and we couldn't be more clinical.

Seems like Fellani elbowed Can in the face just before the final whistle?

It could've been way more but it's over now and 2-0 is a lovely result.

They had no chances, nothing really of note. This side is so bad and it's amazing to consider how poor they'd be without DDG.

Fellaini should be suspended for the next game - that's an obvious elbow. I'm quite happy about that too because he was actually one of their most effective players. Winning things in the air and holding the ball up. Without I'm next week we'll do well aerially.
Original post by Lúcio

They had no chances, nothing really of note. This side is so bad and it's amazing to consider how poor they'd be without DDG.

Fellaini should be suspended for the next game - that's an obvious elbow. I'm quite happy about that too because he was actually one of their most effective players. Winning things in the air and holding the ball up. Without I'm next week we'll do well aerially.

He got beat by Joe ****ing Allen in the air.

Only job he's in there to do and he can't even ****ing do that.

Kudos to Liverpool. Beat a **** side with a **** manager.
De Gea is something else though.
Original post by Lúcio

Yea the clean sheet is important too. One goal next week and Man Utd need 4 which I don't really see happening.

Well would be a 3 game ban in Europe if they review the incident. Surprised there were no red cards in the game tbh.

They must be going into melt down in the Man Utd thread :colondollar:
Original post by Rk2k14
He got beat by Joe ****ing Allen in the air.

Only job he's in there to do and he can't even ****ing do that.

Kudos to Liverpool. Beat a **** side with a **** manager.
De Gea is something else though.

True, but I was more in awe of Allen for jumping so high to be honest.
Aside from that, Fellaini wasn't too bad.
Should have retrospective action and be banned for next game.

We played a great game to be honest. We weathered the storm when you guys started playing in the 2nd have and got that second goal. A shame not to have more.

I doubt we'll sit back next week. I can see Klopp going for the throat and trying to get an early goal.
If we score first next week, you might at well forfeit.
Original post by Lúcio
True, but I was more in awe of Allen for jumping so high to be honest.
Aside from that, Fellaini wasn't too bad.
Should have retrospective action and be banned for next game.

We played a great game to be honest. We weathered the storm when you guys started playing in the 2nd have and got that second goal. A shame not to have more.

I doubt we'll sit back next week. I can see Klopp going for the throat and trying to get an early goal.
If we score first next week, you might at well forfeit.

Should be banned. Doing us a favour.

Whats more worse about this defeat is that LVG turns up in the big games and you cannot deny that.
Yet today he looked absolutely clueless and the starting 11 showed that ffs.
Original post by Rk2k14
Should be banned. Doing us a favour.

Whats more worse about this defeat is that LVG turns up in the big games and you cannot deny that.
Yet today he looked absolutely clueless and the starting 11 showed that ffs.

True, very disappointing because you always play well in these games.

In fairness, you have to give us credit. Similarly to the City game, we restricted you and stopped you from playing.
You were clueless yes, but we were excellent.

Could've been worse than 2-0. I really hope we don't regret it.
Original post by Lúcio
True, very disappointing because you always play well in these games.

In fairness, you have to give us credit. Similarly to the City game, we restricted you and stopped you from playing.
You were clueless yes, but we were excellent.

Could've been worse than 2-0. I really hope we don't regret it.

Were poor goals to concede on our part.
De Gea saved us.
Dont deserve that guy man. He needs to be at a top team.
I think we've really gotta give credit to Klopp.

Yes we're still a little inconsistent but with no added players, he has totally transformed us on the pitch and we look so much better.

Even if we don't get what we want this season, what a transformation we've had.
The summer could be very interesting.
Considering we have a week's rest till the 2nd leg I think Klopp will get us to play like today. I just don't see him as the kind of manager who would get us playing overly defensive straight from the beginning. Not to mention the team will be buoyed with the win today and the fact that it could have easily been 3/4-0 today. I expect us to press a lot and keep the pressure up on United for at least the first 20-30 mins. I'm certain we can get at least one goal in the 2nd leg since United will have to go for it so they will be exposed at the back.
Original post by The.Joker
Considering we have a week's rest till the 2nd leg I think Klopp will get us to play like today. I just don't see him as the kind of manager who would get us playing overly defensive straight from the beginning. Not to mention the team will be buoyed with the win today and the fact that it could have easily been 3/4-0 today. I expect us to press a lot and keep the pressure up on United for at least the first 20-30 mins. I'm certain we can get at least one goal in the 2nd leg since United will have to go for it so they will be exposed at the back.

Late birthday present? :wink:
Considering you messed it up for us in the League Cup final :colonhash:

I think we'll play exactly the same team. Why should we change? We might have Milner back on the bench and with Allen there too, we have good players on the bench to bring on.

Unless we have an absolutely nightmare, I can't see us not scoring next week.
Yh the second leg is set up perfectly for us, would have been more worried if United had that away goal but they don't and its ours to throw away now. We have a weeks rest so we can play with the same intensity, hopefully their FA cup game goes to extra time.

Doesn't matter though as Dortmund will just rek us if we do somehow get to the final or meet them earlier on...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lúcio

I think we'll play exactly the same team. Why should we change? We might have Milner back on the bench and with Allen there too, we have good players on the bench to bring on.

We were so limp in the final! City deserved, especially during the penalties. Ngl was heartbroken lol. Although winning the EL will more than makeup for it. :biggrin:

I hope Milner doesn't start, I'm really irritated by him- his set pieces are bloody dreadful and his form of late doesn't warrant him a start. An unchanged team is fair, although I wish Flanagan was eligible to play.
Original post by Lúcio

We might see a 3 man midfield to just break the up more and try to control the game from the middle. I wouldn't be adverse to Sturridge dropping out for Milner/Allen especially as he doesn't seem quite on it whereas Firmino is just getting goals/assists.
Firmino is probably our best signing since Sturridge and Coutinho, the lad has goals and assists in him. He is somewhat inconsistent on the pitch and doesn't actually look that great all the time but he has end product which is what matters.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yeah Firmino is pretty bossy.
Was unsure about him at first but my God he's on form isn't he?

He may not have the sheer quality that Coutinho has, but he's always in the right place to get the goals/assists. Really makes up for the fact that Henderson/Coutinho don't score too many.
Reply 5398
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest