The Student Room Group

Cambridge students cancel theme party over 'cultural appropriation' fears

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Howard
G'wan. Bite. I gonna reel you're ass in boy!

Original post by Mathemagicien
I never said they are white, I said they are significantly paler than southern Indians

Original post by heineken
Thats because these ethnic issues are in fact trivial.

Look the 3 stooges.

To you Math:
you said that after I corrected you
your initial statement was: North Indians are pale.

That is a lie. End of. Goodbye.
Original post by queen-bee
What is a safe space?

In girlguiding, safe space means that the girls are safe from harm. It also means that we need to make sure that they are safe from harm at home school and wherever else they go.

It does mean that we don't tolerate bullying of any kind but it does not mean that we are going to silence civil arguments or criticism.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by queen-bee
Do tell

Well there was reggae night, although they banned blacking up, so many opted for the use of heavy fake tan and fake dread locks.
The 1st rugby team dressed as terrorists, all Islamic of course.
Bavarian Beer Night with oompah band and steins.

You would have loved it.
And best of all, I was the Equality and Diversity Officer for the SU.
Can't argue with someone who has 120 posts per day

Do you even sleep bro?

I have more than that, trust me *files fingernails*

And it's only 6pm where I am, time zones.

You also can't argue because you have no facts. Face it.
I am happy its cancelled. I bet some silly student would have come in blackface or something like that.
Original post by neldee95
No. Culture appropriation hurts when white people take bits of other people's cultures/features that they once mocked them about then suddenly it becomes beautiful or the new norm. EG. Big bums. Black women have had big bums for years and were once mocked because of it. Now that Kim Kardashian and co have made it cool, it is no longer a problem. Basically, culture appropriation and white privilege go hand in hand.
Hope this clears it up.

Cultural appropriation is the adoption or use of elements of one culture by members of a different culture.

Everybody does it.
Original post by DiddyDec
Cultural appropriation is the adoption or use of elements of one culture by members of a different culture.

Everybody does it.

Lol not after mocking it, you don't.
Reply 147
No. Culture appropriation hurts when white people take bits of other people's cultures/features that they once mocked them about then suddenly it becomes beautiful or the new norm. EG. Big bums. Black women have had big bums for years and were once mocked because of it. Now that Kim Kardashian and co have made it cool, it is no longer a problem. Basically, culture appropriation and white privilege go hand in hand.
Hope this clears it up.

The back shelf.
Lol not after mocking it, you don't.

Tell me about a culture which has not appropriated parts of other cultures.
The Soviet Union

Of course they didn't.
I've seen offensive costumes about British Muslims before. But I think it should have been done on a case-by-case basis, handing out warnings before the show starts.
Now that Kim Kardashian and co have made it cool.

Have you just made the serious suggestion that Kim Kardashian is cool?

The world is changing fast, it seems.

:tumble:
Original post by Good bloke
Have you just made the serious suggestion that Kim Kardashian is cool?

The world is changing fast, it seems.

:tumble:

Lol loads of young people "look up" to her. Thats why there is a surge in butt implant surgeries.
Original post by somesomebody
Now stop saying North Indians are white.

Well, certainly in Kashmir, some people do look very close to Caucasian. And even among those with darker skin, traits like blue and green eyes seem to be quite common. They are probably of the Indo-Iranian stock. You get similar looking people across parts of Northern Pakistan too.
Original post by EricPiphany
Safe spaces are real? I thought they were supposed to be metaphysical.
Like what the **** are you going to do in a 'safe space'? Yoga? That's sure to offend somebody.
LOLOLOL

Yoga is cultural appropriation

http://www.xojane.com/issues/yoga-religious-cultural-appropriation
That seems awfully silly.

Original post by TimmonaPortella
I think it's pretty much beyond argument at this point that the typical Cambridge student is a total dunderhead.

Dreams = shattered :sad:
Original post by somesomebody

@Josb

Would you be against a Bollywood or Japanese media adaptation of Macbeth or some such thing?
I am happy its cancelled. I bet some silly student would have come in blackface or something like that.

This.

We all know some dipshit 18 yr olds would have turned up dressed in blackface or dressed as Cecil Rhodes and it would have ended up all over the papers like Harry in his Nazi uniform.

The college sensibly recognised it would be setting themselves up for terrible press so called it off.
I'm so offended by the thought of a female student wearing a sari. I may need therapy.

On a more serious note, SJWs need to focus on social issues that matter, e.g. rape.
Original post by PQ
This.

We all know some dipshit 18 yr olds would have turned up dressed in blackface or dressed as Cecil Rhodes and it would have ended up all over the papers like Harry in his Nazi uniform.

The college sensibly recognised it would be setting themselves up for terrible press so called it off.

How does one dress as Cecil? Wear a vintage suit?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending