The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by *Stefan*
Lol no... Only Oxford and Cambridge are "much higher". LSE does not have the same wow factor.

Seconded

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by *Stefan*
LSE has a better international reputation, of course. "Much higher" - no. Only Oxbridge can claim this title. LSE does not beat Oxbridge in any course no matter what people say. The way the tutorials are conducted there makes it a lot more personal and thus a lot more effective.

Yeah but that still doesn't mean anything... I have seen of a person with 7A*s at A-Level being rejected from Oxford for Chemistry (not even the most competitive subject there).

That's Alastair Herron. He went to my son's school and it was in all the papers. Stanford took him and he's loving it. Having said that, he worked night and day with no social life.
Reply 3382
Original post by Anuta
After what seems lika a long wait, I've finally gotten all my decisions: rejected from Bristol and Durham, offers from Birmingham, Manchester and Southampton.
I'd kindly ask you to help me make up my mind regarding Manchester vs Birmingham. While Birmingham requires lower grades, I'd be able to reach those required by Manchester too, and now I'm wondering whether there's a real reason for them to ask higher grades.
Thank you, in advance, for your opinions.

Congratulations on your offers! I'd say Manchester as it's normally ranked higher than Birmingham in league tables and its city is better than Birmingham in my opinion!
Also, did Durham tell you the reason why your application has been unsuccessful? I've applied in January and am still waiting...
Original post by Cholesta
I know, he visited today and loved London, loved the campus and course but a guy from LSE who was in charge of events said that the social life was limited and there was a clear divide between students.

Tell your son not to worry about social life. I live in London and there's so much to do, so many clubs and bars! With the night tube due to launch in the summer it will be an even better experience!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Coreling
Which way is he leaning?

I'd go for Bristol if I was him!

Hey! Out of curiosity may I ask why you prefer Bristol over LSE? Thanks! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by atptcs
Congratulations on your offers! I'd say Manchester as it's normally ranked higher than Birmingham in league tables and its city is better than Birmingham in my opinion!
Also, did Durham tell you the reason why your application has been unsuccessful? I've applied in January and am still waiting...

Me too!! Still waiting! Where else have you applied to? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Smithy-Smiths
Bump! Only I found out an hour ago! I just screamed! How exciting!! I officially have all my offers!

Durham
UCL
Kings
Exeter's my insurance!!

I feel SO much better! Especially as I withdrew my application from Oxford! But this is a fantastic boost, especially in the middle of Mock week when motivation atarts to flail!!

Is it your firm?

Hello, congratulations on your offers. Can I ask what your GCSE Results were as well as AS/A2 predicted grades
Original post by Jasmine Lim
Hey! Out of curiosity may I ask why you prefer Bristol over LSE? Thanks! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think purely for job prospects LSE is slightly better, but for me that is outweighed by other aspects (social scene, feel of the campus etc) which I think Bristol has an edge in.

I'm not going to Bristol or LSE but I have visited both. :smile:
Finally got an offer from Kings after months of waiting!
Finally rejected from UCL on the basis of my LNAT.

Shed a tear or two, beat myself up a little, now onto pizza :smile:
Got an unconditional from Leeds Beckett (insurance choice), just waiting on the other 4.

But I applied fairly late (just last week) so am I f*cked?
Original post by Duncaaaaaan
Got an unconditional from Leeds Beckett (insurance choice), just waiting on the other 4. But I applied fairly late (just last week) ?

Russell Group or other 'top' Unis - you are very unlikely to get an offer.

'Other Unis' or any Law joint subject degrees (esp. those with a language) you probably still have a change of an offer.
Original post by returnmigrant
Russell Group or other 'top' Unis - you are very unlikely to get an offer.

'Other Unis' or any Law joint subject degrees (esp. those with a language) you probably still have a change of an offer.

That's a ridiculous thing to say
Original post by mattlally

Yeah the admissions tutor at Leeds said it's not too late and they take applications right up until July or something but I am still really worried.

I'm not even gonna bother at Leeds Beckett.
Original post by mattlally

They may 'take applications' - but your chances of an offer at this stage are very low.
They may 'take applications' - but your chances of an offer at this stage are very low.

How do you know?

In what way is this even remotely conceivable?
Reply 3397
Original post by AnnaJBrady
Just got an offer from LSE! Ahh so unexpected. Now have all 5 (QMUL, Bristol, KCL, UCL and LSE)
Stuck between UCL and LSE as my firm now- anyone have any thoughts?
Cheers

Same dilemma, stuck between LSE, UCL and Durham, mainly LSE and UCL with the London factor.
UCL seems a cosy law community and smaller group teaching while LSE seems to have a better international reputation and optional modules options from lots of its flagship courses.
Any thoughts from current law students?
Original post by seasoning
Finally got an offer from Kings after months of waiting!

Congrats

Can I ask what your GCSE and AS results were?
Original post by Duncaaaaaan
How do you know?

Original post by jayeshp
In what way is this even remotely conceivable?

The 15th of January is the official deadline for equal consideration - competitive unis will simply reject after this.
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending