The Student Room Group

Share your favourite (student) recipes!

I've got a staple creamy garlic mushroom pasta I make on a regular basis. It's cheap and really tasty as well as being easy & quick to make. Share your fave recipes with me! :smile:

Creamy garlic mushroom linguine:
Fry 2/3 cloves of garlic (depending on how much you love garlic) in a fairly deep pan at medium heat for 3 minutes. Add diced pancetta/bacon/ham if you have any to hand.
Add mushrooms and a generous sprinkling of thyme, salt, pepper and rosemary.
After cooking for another 3-5 minutes, take off the heat and stir in 4 tsp of creme fraiche, then either a glass of white wine if you're feeling fancy (remember to cook the alcohol off for about 5 minutes on HIGH heat) or 150ml of vegetable stock.
Let bubble and thicken on a low heat while you cook linguine.
Tadah!
Original post by birdie95
I've got a staple creamy garlic mushroom pasta I make on a regular basis. It's cheap and really tasty as well as being easy & quick to make. Share your fave recipes with me! :smile:

Creamy garlic mushroom linguine:
Fry 2/3 cloves of garlic (depending on how much you love garlic) in a fairly deep pan at medium heat for 3 minutes. Add diced pancetta/bacon/ham if you have any to hand.
Add mushrooms and a generous sprinkling of thyme, salt, pepper and rosemary.
After cooking for another 3-5 minutes, take off the heat and stir in 4 tsp of creme fraiche, then either a glass of white wine if you're feeling fancy (remember to cook the alcohol off for about 5 minutes on HIGH heat) or 150ml of vegetable stock.
Let bubble and thicken on a low heat while you cook linguine.
Tadah!

That sounds really tasty :smile:
My favourite is bacon and mushroom tomato pasta, you basically fry off the bacon and add chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, mushroom, oregano and garlic powder to the pasta and let it cook on a low temp for 10 minutes whilst the pasta cooks and then mix it all together then serve :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
That sounds really tasty :smile:
My favourite is bacon and mushroom tomato pasta, you basically fry off the bacon and add chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, mushroom, oregano and garlic powder to the pasta and let it cook on a low temp for 10 minutes whilst the pasta cooks and then mix it all together then serve :smile:

Mmmm I will have to try this! Garlic powder is honestly the magic ingredient in most of my food haha! :h:
Mmmm I will have to try this! Garlic powder is honestly the magic ingredient in most of my food haha! :h:

I agree, garlic powder is a brilliant thing to have in your cupboards :smile:

I don't get this, I have a pretty big jar of garlic powder and it seems like no matter how much I put in it never compares to fresh. :frown: Can barely taste it.

Corn and tomato pasta
- cook pasta until al dente
- heat up some oil
- add canned corn
- add tomatoes (cherry work best)
- heat until corn is cooked
- add some philadelphia cream cheese to pan
- season
- re-add the pasta and toss so fully coated
- enjoy.

Spoiler

Original post by Sabertooth
I don't get this, I have a pretty big jar of garlic powder and it seems like no matter how much I put in it never compares to fresh. :frown: Can barely taste it.

I never use garlic powder in the place of fresh garlic, it's not really intended for that purpose. I do use it in spice blends a lot though :yep: I usually have a tub with equal quantities salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and mustard powder ready to go in my cupboard as I use it as a base for several of my favourite recipes;
*As it is= awesome seasoning for burgers (sprinkle generously on the patties before frying
*Add sweet smoked paprika and brown sugar= BBQ rub and BBQ sauce spice mix
*Add hot smoked paprika, cayenne and chilli powder= Chilli spice blend.
I'll also be posting most of my recipes on TSR (maybe in a new thread), just as much for my own reference as for anyone else's- I'm about to start a new job where I will not be able to do any cooking at all for six months, which will be very odd for me as it's one of my favourite things to do! Once I've written them up I'll drop a link here for anyone who's interested :h:
I tend to use this stuff instead of fresh garlic.
Today I made banana bread, recipe is up on my blog and more will follow shortly such as spaghetti bolognaise - everyones favourite for sure!!

http://bea-blogs-life.blogspot.co.uk/

Quick Reply

Latest