The Student Room Group

percentage error

how does decreasing the concentration decease the percentage error????
Original post by pondsteps
how does decreasing the concentration decease the percentage error????

http://www.knockhardy.org.uk/sci_htm_files/08error.pdf

maybe this could help?

thanks a lot .. but it still doesnt answer my question :frown:(
thanks a lot .. but it still doesnt answer my question :frown:(

well it depends, i don't understand what you mean by concentration.

I need more info, concentration of what?
Original post by thefatone
well it depends, i don't understand what you mean by concentration.

I need more info, concentration of what?

the question says "the concentration of sodium thiosulfate used to titrate the iodine was changed from 0.100 mol/dm^3 to 0.050 mol/dm^3.. explain whether this change will improve the experimental procedure for measuring the concentration of sulfur dioxide" the markscheme: 1) larger titration reading/.......... 2) so smaller percentage error
ORR
1) smaller mass of sodium thiosulfate used to make solution
2) so greater percentage error in the mass measurment

i dont understand how the concentration is effecting the vulme and mass and thus the percentage error.........
the question says "the concentration of sodium thiosulfate used to titrate the iodine was changed from 0.100 mol/dm^3 to 0.050 mol/dm^3.. explain whether this change will improve the experimental procedure for measuring the concentration of sulfur dioxide" the markscheme: 1) larger titration reading/.......... 2) so smaller percentage error
ORR
1) smaller mass of sodium thiosulfate used to make solution
2) so greater percentage error in the mass measurment

i dont understand how the concentration is effecting the vulme and mass and thus the percentage error.........

Decreasing the conc means that you will get a larger titre. If your burette measures to the nearest 0.05cm^3. then if your titre was say 10 your percentage error would be (0.05/10 *100) =0.5%, whereas if your titre was 20 then it is now (0.05/20 *100) =0.25%
Original post by samb1234
Decreasing the conc means that you will get a larger titre. If your burette measures to the nearest 0.05cm^3. then if your titre was say 10 your percentage error would be (0.05/10 *100) =0.5%, whereas if your titre was 20 then it is now (0.05/20 *100) =0.25%

aha okay.. i dont understand the point about mass tho

Quick Reply

Latest