The Student Room Group

Investment Banker/Trader/Accountant

Scroll to see replies

Original post by theconfusedman
So is spread like profits? and who earns it, the market maker?

A spread arises naturally, think about it. The bid I see is always going to be lower than the offer I see, unless backwardation happens, but that's futures.
Original post by Trapz99
Economics as well lol

But less so for the trading desk today, hence why I didn't include it. More pure maths is better.
Original post by JuliusDS92
That's nonsense, you won't get into IB without a degree

Soc Gen champion those without degrees, they are quite good. Otherwise, yep, you won't get a decent job without one.
Reply 43
Its tough to get the top IB schemes outside of LSE and Cam. Also its very difficult to transfer from accountancy to IB. Don't look at accountancy because its the most boring line of work with mediocre pay init.
Original post by leavingthecity
Soc Gen champion those without degrees, they are quite good. Otherwise, yep, you won't get a decent job without one.

I didn't know that - can you get into FO positions at Soc Gen without a degree?
Original post by JuliusDS92
I didn't know that - can you get into FO positions at Soc Gen without a degree?

They put you through their own training program's for school leavers. Yes some positions are FO I think.

I seem to remember that m& g do similar....,
Original post by Judas69
Its tough to get the top IB schemes outside of LSE and Cam. Also its very difficult to transfer from accountancy to IB. Don't look at accountancy because its the most boring line of work with mediocre pay init.

Accountancy is a good way into equity research and some other areas that want you to be ACA qualified.

But yeah, looks pretty dull. It is my aim to train myself up in some of it though.
Original post by Judas69

This is false.

Target universities are as such: Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick and Imperial. Doesn't matter which one of these you go to, the banks all recruit uniformly across them. If you actually looked at the numbers, you'd see that Warwick/LSE outpace Oxbridge for new grads. Even outside of this group, banks still recruit from semi targets: Bristol, Nottingham, Durham, Cass and Bath; with the rest being mostly decent RG unis.

It is patently false information to say you have to go to Cam or LSE to have a chance.

It's also not that hard to transfer. Big4 Audit > Big4 CorpFin > IB/Private Equity happens all the time.

You clearly don't really know what you're on about.
(edited 8 years ago)

source.. could you elaborate on this?

i've been in there tower hill office for a summer internship and haven't met anyone without a degree in their FO divisions
Original post by gr8wizard10
source.. could you elaborate on this?

i've been in there tower hill office for a summer internship and haven't met anyone without a degree in their FO divisions

They have one of the biggest initiatives in hiring school leavers. Google soc gen school leavers. I haven't done an online search but I have applied to such jobs a few years ago. In I think Switzerland they have an actual apprenticeship program. I also gave a contact there my cv a few years ago and he was fully aware I had no degree yet still considered me for a role working for him.
They have one of the biggest initiatives in hiring school leavers. Google soc gen school leavers. I haven't done an online search but I have applied to such jobs a few years ago. In I think Switzerland they have an actual apprenticeship program. I also gave a contact there my cv a few years ago and he was fully aware I had no degree yet still considered me for a role working for him.

sweet, thanks
sweet, thanks

You're not considering giving up studying are you?
You're not considering giving up studying are you?

I've considered that everyday from the day I started my degree, but unfortunately no. i just didn't realise there were any such programmes available
I've considered that everyday from the day I started my degree, but unfortunately no. i just didn't realise there were any such programmes available

Keep at it. You need it. I'm going to get one later at 25 because the market is changing so much.

Right, good luck with your internship and everything.

I'm deleting my account here because the moderation here is so petty and useless.

Good luck everyone else too. Nice to meet you.

Ciao
Reply 54
Original post by Daniel9998
lol what?

You say that and don't even try to qualify. I know tonnes of investment bankers
Reply 55
Original post by Princepieman
This is false.

Target universities are as such: Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick and Imperial. Doesn't matter which one of these you go to, the banks all recruit uniformly across them. If you actually looked at the numbers, you'd see that Warwick/LSE outpace Oxbridge for new grads. Even outside of this group, banks still recruit from semi targets: Bristol, Nottingham, Durham, Cass and Bath; with the rest being mostly decent RG unis.

It is patently false information to say you have to go to Cam or LSE to have a chance.

It's also not that hard to transfer. Big4 Audit > Big4 CorpFin > IB/Private Equity happens all the time.

You clearly don't really know what you're on about.

Would Mechanical Engineering be a good degree to do?

Would Bristol be a good place to do it?
Original post by IAmNero
You say that and don't even try to qualify. I know tonnes of investment bankers

Are we talking receptionist at an IB or FO positions as an investment banker because you would have to be pretty clueless to believe that an apprenticeship is a better route to FO IB than a degree at a top uni.
Reply 57
Original post by Daniel9998
Are we talking receptionist at an IB or FO positions as an investment banker because you would have to be pretty clueless to believe that an apprenticeship is a better route to FO IB than a degree at a top uni.

Dudee, my dad is an investment banker, he works in risk and control, and has done for 30 years, he doesn't have a single degre or diploma, in fact, none of his department do!
Original post by IAmNero
Dudee, my dad is an investment banker, he works in risk and control, and has done for 30 years, he doesn't have a single degre or diploma, in fact, none of his department do!

and from that you have concluded that doing an apprenticeship will give you a better chance to break into IB than a degree??
Original post by jakepds
Would Mechanical Engineering be a good degree to do?

Would Bristol be a good place to do it?

Yes

It'd be alright, not a full on target but it does well enough year on year.

Quick Reply

Latest