The Student Room Group

Jealousy and access courses

How can I get over the jealousy and bitterness I feel towards my peers who have got into med school? I got 3 interviews but because I am not the best at talking in interview situations I failed each one. The fact I didn't get any offers made me despondent and got really clinically depressed, and as a result I didn't try my best and only got ABCab at A level. I felt like the only way to get into med school was to do it first time. I wanted to achieve my medicine dream the normal way, and when this didn't turn out the way I wanted I got depressed. I didn't even contemplate re applying.

I am going to take an Access to Science course soon; can I get into med school with this qualification? I have heard on this site this is possible, but (after looking at different uni entry requirements) the access qualification is never mentioned. So if anyone knows of any med schools which will let you get in this way, please help.
With regards to your first question, I would say why be bitter? It is not their fault that they got in and you did not. Bitterness and jealousy won't get you that much sought after place -- but persistence and perseverance might.

Have you considered graduate-entry medicine? Your A-levels are good enough to get onto a science course somewhere. I know that GEM is not an entirely reliable prospect for the next 3/4 years but I'd venture that it's still the best option left. Access courses are possible but often more competitive than undergraduate applications. You normally have to get in the top ~10% which is a challenge in itself. If you got a biomedical degree you may be able to do GEM, and if not, at least you can enter some other healthcare-related profession (many of which share several core attributes to medicine)

I got DEEbc at A/AS level but a first class degree and then got onto GEM that way. It's definitely worth considering.
Reply 2
Original post by MJK91
With regards to your first question, I would say why be bitter? It is not their fault that they got in and you did not. Bitterness and jealousy won't get you that much sought after place -- but persistence and perseverance might.

Have you considered graduate-entry medicine? Your A-levels are good enough to get onto a science course somewhere. I know that GEM is not an entirely reliable prospect for the next 3/4 years but I'd venture that it's still the best option left. Access courses are possible but often more competitive than undergraduate applications. You normally have to get in the top ~10% which is a challenge in itself. If you got a biomedical degree you may be able to do GEM, and if not, at least you can enter some other healthcare-related profession (many of which share several core attributes to medicine)

I got DEEbc at A/AS level but a first class degree and then got onto GEM that way. It's definitely worth considering.

Bitter is the wrong word... Disappointment is a better way of expressing it. I am definitely considering studying Biomedical Sciences, because I am still unsure whether I want to do research or be a doctor (but I would prefer to study Medicine).

I am put off GEM because it is so competitive and by that time in my life I would consider myself too old to reapply to med school. I know most GEM students are in their 30's/40's but I can't see myself biding my time for that long just to get on a medicine degree.
Original post by 1lastchance
Bitter is the wrong word... Disappointment is a better way of expressing it. I am definitely considering studying Biomedical Sciences, because I am still unsure whether I want to do research or be a doctor (but I would prefer to study Medicine).

I am put off GEM because it is so competitive and by that time in my life I would consider myself too old to reapply to med school. I know most GEM students are in their 30's/40's but I can't see myself biding my time for that long just to get on a medicine degree.

I think if you're unsure then this may have come across at interview. Did you request feedback? Biomedical science opens a lot of doors so it's definitely a good option if you try to pursue something else.

We're certainly not almost always in our 30/40s! In year it's probably 75% 21-26 year olds and 20% 27-32. Maybe only 5% are in their mid to late 30s or 40s. You'll be working in medicine until at least 60 so graduating at 30 isn't really that bad is it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending