The Student Room Group

Is eating healthy overrated?

I just stumbled across this article a while ago:
http://www.today.com/health/man-loses-56-pounds-after-eating-only-mcdonalds-six-months-2D79329158

He manages to lose 56 pounds, lost 21 inches and lowered his cholesterol in 6 months, by eating only mcdonalds.

Is eating healthy as important as everyone says? Does it really matter what you eat when it comes to losing weight, or is calorie intake and exercise a lot more important?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/britains-oldest-female-mcdonalds-worker-6747885
75 year old women works at mcdonalds after admitting she eats there everyday.
Reply 1
i haven't read the articles yet i might in a minute, but losing weight doesn't necessarily mean being healthier
You can never attribute being healthy to weight loss.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4

lol what?
Reply 5
If you're referring to weight loss, it's mostly irrelevant what you eat. It's how much you eat. Not sure why you were surprised.

Health-wise is more complicated. I think some people who're overweight have, e.g., high cholesterol partly because excess body fat causes blood cholesterol to rise. As soon as they start eating less junk (less calories really) than they did before, they lose weight, lose body fat and lower their cholesterol. Same thing with blood sugar levels and blood pressure.

But there are other people who are not overweight and their health problems are not caused by excess body fat. Those people are usually old but not always. They're the ones who'll only see health improvements if they start eating better foods. Losing weight won't help them so cutting down on junk foods without replacing it with better foods is not a solution for them.

By implication then, even the first group will probably see better results if they ate healthy food. I.e. even better results health-wise. So the fact that someone's cholesterol dropped by eating less McDonald's doesn't men that it wouldn't drop lower still if he/she started eating fatty fish and whole grain (or w/e) instead of big macs.

What they will definitely not see is lower body fat. As I said, mostly to do with volume of food that you eat, not what kind of food (this is why sugar and junk food taxes are stupid)

Also, I've used "healthy food" as if it is self-evident what it actually is. I'd consider certain foods like processed carbs and processed meats to be junk food and fruits, vegetables, legumes, certain vegetable oils, wholegrains, low fat dairy, poultry and fish to be healthy foods for their positive effects on things like cholesterol, blood sugar, blood pressure, triglycerides, etc.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by loveleest
lol what?

Eat what you like and still lose weight.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
theres a difference between losing weight and being healthy, about 50% of my diet is junk and im slim :h: i wonder what inside my body looks like :lol:
Original post by loveleest
I just stumbled across this article a while ago:
http://www.today.com/health/man-loses-56-pounds-after-eating-only-mcdonalds-six-months-2D79329158

He manages to lose 56 pounds, lost 21 inches and lowered his cholesterol in 6 months, by eating only mcdonalds.

Is eating healthy as important as everyone says? Does it really matter what you eat when it comes to losing weight, or is calorie intake and exercise a lot more important?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/britains-oldest-female-mcdonalds-worker-6747885
75 year old women works at mcdonalds after admitting she eats there everyday.

Yes eating healthy is overrated. Please die sooner so I dont have to keep paying taxes to fund your pension and healthcare costs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You can be super muscular and not healthy.

You can be super thin and not healthy.

You can be fat and be healthy specially if you are fit.

You cannot see how healthy your body is inside, your bones, your guts, your organs, from the outside. You can only see how much muscle/fat someone has and that is not alone a very good indicator of health.
Original post by TorpidPhil
You can be super muscular and not healthy.

You can be super thin and not healthy.

You can be fat and be healthy specially if you are fit.

You cannot see how healthy your body is inside, your bones, your guts, your organs, from the outside. You can only see how much muscle/fat someone has and that is not alone a very good indicator of health.

You cannot be fat and healthy. Being fat by definition means you are not healthy :facepalm2:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Death Grips
You cannot be fat and healthy. Being fat by definition means you are not healthy :facepalm2:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fat = overweight.

And yes you can. No it doesn't, especially if that weight that is making you 'overweight' is mostly muscle. Even if it isn't though, so long as you're fit I don't think the risk of heart attack is that high...
The world "Healthy" is overrated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In terms of losing weight, what you eat does not matter at all... you just need to eat under your TDEE, what you eat is totally regardless.

But in terms of general well-being, it is probably going to be advisable to eat 'healthy'. I wouldn't call it overrated, as I think the ridiculous number of health risks you pose by eating crap continuously are not a joke.
--
mfg I cannot believe what that guy is trying to promote; all diets are pretty stupid but this is a whole other level.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes eating healthily does matter, and it's not necessarily synonymous with weight or weight loss.
Losing weight and being healthy are not one in the same.
Original post by SophieSmall
Yes eating healthily does matter, and it's not necessarily synonymous with weight or weight loss.
Losing weight and being healthy are not one in the same.

theres definitely a balance. youll die of something.

keep it together but having the odd ice cream etc is a MUST especially as yeh get older!
Original post by trustmeimlying1
theres definitely a balance. youll die of something.

keep it together but having the odd ice cream etc is a MUST especially as yeh get older!

Lol never said you had to be a health nut nazi.
But if you're diet is so poor that you're not getting the require vitamins, minerals and macros you're going to have a bad time.

Quick Reply

Latest