The Student Room Group

Glasgow Medical School Applicants 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tinababy
ok tell us how it goes :biggrin:

just called, not answering :frown:
I might try calling later?
Original post by Marcus4004
Being rejected is not the end of the world at all. 4 years ago I never thought about a career in medicine (in fact I was petrified of my blood being taken). Looking back, I do not think I was mature enough to embark on such a course. It is amazing how much you mature upon leaving school. In all honesty, I think taking a GAP year is a great opportunity to have a lot of fun/learn a lot about yourself - great before you start devoting your life to medicine. I am not insinuating you are going to be rejected in the slightest - more that it really is not the end of the world.

When I look back on all the times I have been rejected in life, each one has changed me for the better :smile: :smile:

The most important thing now is for you to ace your Adv Highers (or whatever they are called these days) :smile:

Best of luck though!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

thank you very much!
yeah if I did take a gap year, its probably not the end of the world, but again, I wanna graduate as soon as possible..
are you a graduate?
Original post by Junioh
just called, not answering :frown:
I might try calling later?

Yeah I had to try glasgow a few times as well. Try before five though cos that might be when they stop taking calls.
Original post by Junioh
thank you very much!
yeah if I did take a gap year, its probably not the end of the world, but again, I wanna graduate as soon as possible..
are you a graduate?

Haha believe me graduating a year later is not an issue. More of a blessing imo. I am an engineering masters graduate from a top international university - I know quite a bit about graduating later. All of my good friends next year have starting salaries over 70k (some over 120k). Imagine where they will be in 5 years? Do I care? Not in the slightest - can't see myself doing anything else.

Keep in there :smile: Life has a fantastic way of working out for the best.

Original post by tinababy
Yeah I had to try glasgow a few times as well. Try before five though cos that might be when they stop taking calls.

Cool! I will give them a call at 4-ish...
Haha believe me graduating a year later is not an issue. More of a blessing imo. I am an engineering masters graduate from a top international university - I know quite a bit about graduating later. All of my good friends next year have starting salaries over 70k (some over 120k). Imagine where they will be in 5 years? Do I care? Not in the slightest - can't see myself doing anything else.

Keep in there :smile: Life has a fantastic way of working out for the best.

thank you marcus! I will try to stay focused on my subjects for now and hopefully hear back soon!
Original post by Emma1809
Is anyone going to the Glasgow applicants day on the 31st of this month?

Really gutted I can't go:frown:, was definitely going to though
I wouldn't worry about feeling ready. The thought of studying medicine is a scary one because it does lead to a very important job, but the unis are supportive and so are your classmates and you mature together. You won't have any real responsibility for 5 or 6 years if you intercal and it will be worth it in the end. You can always start the course and then if it's not for you or if it's a struggle ask to take the rest of the year off and begin the following year (i know people who have done that). Getting in is the hardest thing to do and you already have two offers.

Original post by Sacred Ground
I have offers for Newcastle and Glasgow but I don't feel ready to start studying medicine, I'm not sure what to do! If they said we will take you in 2 years it'd be amazing but gahhhh, I don't feel mature enough
Original post by Emma1809
Is anyone going to the Glasgow applicants day on the 31st of this month?

hopefully i will...fingers crossed for that offer.
Original post by Junioh
thank you marcus! I will try to stay focused on my subjects for now and hopefully hear back soon!

I have heard back from all except Glasgow - hopefully will hear today :smile: Best of luck!

I have heard back from all except Glasgow - hopefully will hear today :smile: Best of luck!

fingers crossed for us!
Reply 1471
Original post by Sacred Ground
I know that, I'm incredibly grateful to have received offers. I'm not sure how the gap year works, shouldn't I have applied for it already?

I've applied for deferred entry medicine, I'm not sure if it's more difficult to get in for but I don't think there's any harm in calling them to see?
Is this the longest medicine applicant thread on TSR where most people haven't heard? It must be!
Reply 1473
Original post by hjlw
I've applied for deferred entry medicine, I'm not sure if it's more difficult to get in for but I don't think there's any harm in calling them to see?

Deferred entry students are treated the same as those applying for entry this year.You are compared against the students who applied this year.I applied for deferred entry and received an offer.Plenty of time still for offers to come out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hjlw

I'm definitely going to look into that then, thanks a lot
Original post by Glennatron
I wouldn't worry about feeling ready. The thought of studying medicine is a scary one because it does lead to a very important job, but the unis are supportive and so are your classmates and you mature together. You won't have any real responsibility for 5 or 6 years if you intercal and it will be worth it in the end. You can always start the course and then if it's not for you or if it's a struggle ask to take the rest of the year off and begin the following year (i know people who have done that). Getting in is the hardest thing to do and you already have two offers.

Hi Glen, I appreciate such a thorough response! You've put me at ease knowing I won't have any real responsibility over the first few years. I think I'll look into a gap year and go from there. Cheers!
Reply 1475
Those who have offers were you notified by email or track?
Reply 1476
Original post by Lpo
Deferred entry students are treated the same as those applying for entry this year.You are compared against the students who applied this year.I applied for deferred entry and received an offer.Plenty of time still for offers to come out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks so much for your reassurance! I saw that on some document that seemed pretty out the way so I wasn't sure whether it was totally true or relevant, but thanks so much for the confidence☺️
Original post by wanab
I got my track notification first then the email from Glasgow a few hours after it. But I think it's different for each person
Original post by wanab

I was notified through track at approx 8pm on Wednesday and received the official Glasgow email at 5am the next morning 😊
Although I was positive it was a rejection as other people in this thread received the email first
Offer from Glasgow! Grad student. UCAS track. Surname R. Glasgow is definitely giving out offers alphabetically.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending