The Student Room Group

Requirements for universities in the states?

I am from the UK and have a few questions about studying abroad.

-What is the maximum age limit?

-Can you get in just as easily having completed 2 alevels as if you had completed 3?

-Does it matter to these universities whether you have done 4 as levels or 3?

Some related but offtopic questions:

-Do you remain a British citizen when studying in the US for 4-5 years

-Can you get an american bank account during this time (is it easy and legal?)

-Will I be paying taxes according to the state or would my british taxes still be applicable instead?

Thats it for now, appreciate a reply
Original post by YourName___
I am from the UK and have a few questions about studying abroad.

1. What is the maximum age limit?

2. Can you get in just as easily having completed 2 alevels as if you had completed 3?

3. Does it matter to these universities whether you have done 4 as levels or 3?

Some related but offtopic questions:

4. Do you remain a British citizen when studying in the US for 4-5 years

5. Can you get an american bank account during this time (is it easy and legal?)

6. Will I be paying taxes according to the state or would my british taxes still be applicable instead?

Thats it for now, appreciate a reply

1. There isn't one.

2. Not just as easily, but it's possible to get in with 2 A levels (although probably not at the elite colleges which offer scholarships to international students).

3. No

4. Of course

5. Yes

6. You wouldn't pay British taxes if you were living in the US. I'm not familiar with US taxes, but presumably you wouldn't pay tax there either as you wouldn't be working.
Original post by Snufkin
1. There isn't one.

2. Not just as easily, but it's possible to get in with 2 A levels (although probably not at the elite colleges which offer scholarships to international students).

3. No

4. Of course

5. Yes

6. You wouldn't pay British taxes if you were living in the US. I'm not familiar with US taxes, but presumably you wouldn't pay tax there either as you wouldn't be working.

Are you sure about Q3?

Because in the US they definitely care about how many/which AP classes you've taken
Original post by Student403
Are you sure about Q3?

Because in the US they definitely care about how many/which AP classes you've taken

A lot of schools don't let people take more than 3 AS levels these days, so fairly sure.
Original post by Snufkin
A lot of schools don't let people take more than 3 AS levels these days, so fairly sure.

Hmm okay. But I think this would have to be stated on the recommendation or high school transcript - the limit from the school thing

Because at many elites at least, they say that to be a competitive applicant you should have taken full advantage of the academic opportunities available (so for the outgoing A level students, I guess that would mean 4 full A levels)
Reply 5
Applicants from some countries especially Singapore would normally have completed 5 A-levels.
So I think this plays a role in demonstrating applicant's ability to handle heavy workload. Although the school report will mention that students are restricted to take up to 3 A-levels, these students should have other impressive stats/EC/SATs to compete with others.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending