The Student Room Group

how to revise C2 to get an A at AS?

hey im currently studying maths at AS level (edexcel) and im finding C2 so hard! whats the best way to revise for it? i really want an A at the end of the year, preferably no lower than 70/75. has anyone got any tips? would rly appreciate it!
I think the only way of revising maths would just be continuous past paper practise!!! Physics and maths tutor is a great website with loads of past papers! Good luck, I'm sure you'll do fab in C2 :biggrin:
Practice, practice, practice.

Work through the difficult questions in the textbook, do past papers under exam conditions and mark them. Do more difficult papers as well if you have the time (eg Solomon papers).
Original post by anya init
hey im currently studying maths at AS level (edexcel) and im finding C2 so hard! whats the best way to revise for it? i really want an A at the end of the year, preferably no lower than 70/75. has anyone got any tips? would rly appreciate it!

the only real responses you will get are "do past papers" and "use examsolutions" because there's not much more to it than that
Reply 4
Original post by ravioliyears
I think the only way of revising maths would just be continuous past paper practise!!! Physics and maths tutor is a great website with loads of past papers! Good luck, I'm sure you'll do fab in C2 :biggrin:

ahh thanks! revising content wise do u think the cgp quides are a good source to get the concept of each topic?
Every piece of advice you will get: "Do past papers until your eyes bleed."

EDIT: To elaborate on this, doing past papers will drill formulas into your head even if they are given to you and you are likely to come across every type of question they can ask you so you won't get caught out.
(edited 8 years ago)
ahh thanks! revising content wise do u think the cgp quides are a good source to get the concept of each topic?

I personally don't use the cgp books.

depends what's you're stuck on, i can help you on anything in C2 since i'm currently doing these papers. Past papers help and the more you do then the more you get used to them and the way questions are phrased.

Go over topics which you're not sure you can do and do summary questions in the textbook on them :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by SeanFM
Practice, practice, practice.

Work through the difficult questions in the textbook, do past papers under exam conditions and mark them. Do more difficult papers as well if you have the time (eg Solomon papers).

ayy thanks man. i know the only way to learn maths is to do maths, but some papers are so hard i just dont know how to do them? how would you advise learning content to get the jist of it before attempting papers? we only finished the syllabus today and have our first paper next week!
You only usually need about 59 for an A, but just know all the types of questions I guess.
Reply 10
Original post by thefatone
depends what's you're stuck on, i can help you on anything in C2 since i'm currently doing these papers. Past papers help and the more you do then the more you get used to them and the way questions are phrased.

Go over topics which you're not sure you can do and do summary questions in the textbook on them :biggrin:

ay thanks, im finding integrating between two curves so difficult! also im not too keen on circles or trig. its such a big jump from c1! would you say these are harder topics that require more work and is it possible to perfect them even if i struggle with them?
ayy thanks man. i know the only way to learn maths is to do maths, but some papers are so hard i just dont know how to do them? how would you advise learning content to get the jist of it before attempting papers? we only finished the syllabus today and have our first paper next week!

make sure you can do the trapezium rule, i guarantee you there'll be at least 1 question on every paper which includes integration and most likely it'll include the trapezium rule.
Binomial expansion comes up quite a lot
The factor theorem is quite popular
I can 100% guarantee you there'll be a question on differentiation(unless it's not an official paper)
Circles is used quite a bit too
Reply 12
Original post by thefatone
make sure you can do the trapezium rule, i guarantee you there'll be at least 1 question on every paper which includes integration and most likely it'll include the trapezium rule.
Binomial expansion comes up quite a lot
The factor theorem is quite popular
I can 100% guarantee you there'll be a question on differentiation(unless it's not an official paper)
Circles is used quite a bit too

ahhh thankyou so much! you're the real MVP. are the integration questions hard? thats my weakest topic:frown:

If you are stuck then have a think about what the question is asking, what subtopics are in that topic and what you could possibly use to answer the question, paying attention to what information is given in the question.

If it is too difficult, then go back to the topic in the textbook and look to see if you can find the answer or a similar example. If you can't then look at the mark scheme.
ay thanks, im finding integrating between two curves so difficult! also im not too keen on circles or trig. its such a big jump from c1! would you say these are harder topics that require more work and is it possible to perfect them even if i struggle with them?

I remember when i did them i had such a difficult time doing trig, i called it the bane of my existence at that time and i made at least 10 threads asking Zacken and TeeEm to help me xD

but practice and you'll get there, there's always a few little things you can always remember to help you solve the stuff. Personally i found circles and integration quite easy.

For trig when it gives you something and says you need to solve between 0<x<360 then first you make it Sinx or cosx or tanx equals a number or if you can't then make it into a quadratic/put everything on one side and take out a common factor. You can also multiply by cos sin and tan, don't forget that you can also rearrange the identities.

^^ stuff like that were the tips and tricks i was talking about
ahhh thankyou so much! you're the real MVP. are the integration questions hard? thats my weakest topic:frown:

to me no (lol) but the trapezium rule questions give you some weird thing where y= whatever and they'll give you a table and you have to fill in the values then u use the trapezium rule on those values to find an approximate value for it.

Others will tell you to integrate to find and exact shaded area. So first you find the points at which the lines intersect then integrate to find the exact value.
You can try the Solomon Papers. Those are good to try and progress with!
Just do maths. Do it, do it again, and again and ........
Reply 18
Make sure you understand it.

Once you do, the only thing left to do is practice applying it. Past papers.
If you make silly mistakes then practice revising your work as you go along, checking it and checking again.

As previously stated, Past Papers are gold. Your paper in May / June will 99% of the time be alterations of previous questions.
Reply 19
Got a U lol

Quick Reply

Latest