The Student Room Group

English Language ( Cambridge Exam Board)

Hey guys, just wanted to ask how is everyone revising for English language, because I'm kind of struggling on revising for it and there is not a lot of past papers. I think there is only three. Not sure.

Thanks,
Reply 1
Original post by 11lmizo
Hey guys, just wanted to ask how is everyone revising for English language, because I'm kind of struggling on revising for it and there is not a lot of past papers. I think there is only three. Not sure.

It's been around a while and there are 2 sessions a year so there should be more than 3. Ask you teacher if you can't find more papers.
(edited 8 years ago)
There's way more than three past papers.

I've been doing past papers, it's all unseen text so there's not really anything else to do
Is this the CIE and iGCSE syllabus?

We did a paper in November and I got a B overall, which was depressing, but hopefully my resit will bring my grade up.
Original post by TeenPolyglot
Is this the CIE and iGCSE syllabus?

We did a paper in November and I got a B overall, which was depressing, but hopefully my resit will bring my grade up.

Yeah it's the CIE, and thats not bad, but i get where you are coming from as i have expectations too.
Original post by caitlinford3
There's way more than three past papers.

I've been doing past papers, it's all unseen text so there's not really anything else to do

Can you please send me the link?
Original post by 11lmizo
Can you please send me the link?

http://www.cie.org.uk/programmes-and-qualifications/cambridge-igcse-english-first-language-0500/past-papers/

I can only find these but there is way more, I've done 2012 ones before.
Original post by 11lmizo
Yeah it's the CIE, and thats not bad, but i get where you are coming from as i have expectations too.

If there's one tip, I have that this year they are REALLY HARSH with their marking.

Out of a proportional 20 of us who were predicted A*, and had more or less all A* in our coursework, about 5 of us only got A*.

But if you take the mindset of that the English Language Cambridge GCSE actually really has very little to do with the English Language itself, and rather the state of using language to suit a purpose.
The one tip I would put in here for you guys is to keep your writing simple. You get most of the marks for what you say relating to the text and not many for how you write it (spelling, punctuation and grammar etc) so don't worry too much about that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Is this the extended paper where you have to answer 3 questions?
Original post by ibte10
Is this the extended paper where you have to answer 3 questions?

Yeah
Reply 11
Original post by 11lmizo
Yeah

Feel free to pm me for help if you need some. Also there is much more than three past papers i think.

Quick Reply

Latest