The Student Room Group

Can you be racist to a White Person? (POLL)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IAmNero
There are very few figures to support the argument! Estimates for both estimate wildly!

If that's the case then don't make unsupported claims, simple as.
Original post by olookhamafe
the thing is though, they enslaved them for mostly religious reasons not because they had lighter skin than them 'therefore making them inferior'

Does it really make much difference? They certainly viewed Christians as an inferior group of people, and lets not forget we are talking about an era were religious identity was pretty much as non-negotiable as your ethnic identity (unless you fancied facing severe persecution and ostracism from your fellow Christian countrymen).

Also, Europeans took African slaves, one because chattal slavery had been outlawed within Europe (though the rules were often bent, because many whites, especially the Irish, did end up enslaved in the Americas), and two because Africans were simply the most convenient source. There was already a long established and efficient slave trade within Africa and it was an easy trade route between West Africa and the Americas. It had little if anything to do with any kind of white supremacist, black inferiority notions, all that stuff came about later to justify the continuation of slavery around the time abolitionism was starting to gain momentum.
Reply 142
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
No you don't. You just said it is racist :rolleyes:

It gets called positive discrimination, it;s not racist discrimination. It;s the same with quotas for women with regards to sexism. The idea behind implementing the quote is not based on racism or sexism.

Actaully, I think you need to re-read what I said.

You don't get it do you?! If I was choosing a football team and I chose all arab players over black players then that would be racist, because I am segregating based on race!
Reply 143
Original post by WBZ144
If that's the case then don't make unsupported claims, simple as.

I didn't, the figure for the Barbary slave trade are HIGHER than the Arab-African ones!
Tbh a lot of black people believe this. So stupid. They think you can't be racist to someone if your oppressed blah blah blah.
Original post by Plagioclase
I didn't say that was an example of positive discrimination, your argument seemed to be on the basis that discrimination = bad, which I tried to show you is not necessarily the case.

For someone who tells others to go back and read, you should take your own advice.

I said positive discrimination is bad.
Original post by goldbangles
Don't you think having a quota is still ridiculous? Quota basically means a limit. It should just be fair. Why do people even have to check off their race?

Do quotas based on race even exist anywhere?

This idea is much more prominent with regards to gender.

I can see the reasoning behind quotas but I don't think they are always good. I also think, with regards to feminism especially, they miss the point a lot. There are legit reasons why there may be less women in high up places in society than men that are not down to sexism but then tehre are also reaosns why sexism is stopping women from moving upwards as well. Also focusing on getting more women as CEOs whilst ignoring other issues that effect women like benefit cuts (aka The Women Party) miss the point. I'm not really for or against positive discrimination. I'm on the fence.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 147
Original post by TheArtofProtest
That's great but socially, POC aren't treated the same as us white people.

In some areas, maybe. But in employment it is illegal to do so!
Original post by IAmNero
I didn't, the figure for the Barbary slave trade are HIGHER than the Arab-African ones!

So long as you are not providing evidence for these numbers your claims are unsupported. Telling me to Google the Barbary Slave Trade does not count as evidence.
Reply 149

Apparently it is mostly illegal but many companies use it

I'm talking about the quota as far as affirmative action and how many black people to hire or let go to a certain school...the context in which you and Nero were discussing.
Reply 151
Original post by WBZ144
So long as you are not providing evidence for these numbers your claims are unsupported. Telling me to Google the Barbary Slave Trade does not count as evidence.

If you googled it then you would see it! Why don't you try it, or are you scared of being wrong?
Original post by goldbangles
I'm talking about the quota as far as affirmative action and how many black people to hire or let go to a certain school...the context in which you and Nero were discussing.

I can see the reasoning behind quotas but I don't think they are always good. I also think, with regards to feminism especially, they miss the point a lot. There are legit reasons why there may be less women in high up places in society than men that are not down to sexism but then tehre are also reaosns why sexism is stopping women from moving upwards as well. Also focusing on getting more women as CEOs whilst ignoring other issues that effect women like benefit cuts (aka The Women Party) miss the point. I'm not really for or against positive discrimination. I'm on the fence.
Original post by IAmNero
If you googled it then you would see it! Why don't you try it, or are you scared of being wrong?

That statement not good enough, as I was already aware of this particular slave trade. I want evidence from reliable sources showing the clear numbers of Europeans enslaved by Muslims in contrast with the number of Africans enslaved by Muslims. As someone with a Master's degree you should know how important it is to support your statements.
Reply 154
Original post by TheArtofProtest
Being illegal hasn't stopped anyone.

Our prisons are full of people who've done things that are illegal.

Of course!

As much as I would like to think that comapanies don't deploy racism, it may or may not be the case. There isn't any real proof either way
Reply 155
Original post by WBZ144
That statement not good enough, as I was already aware of this particular slave trade. I want evidence from reliable sources showing the clear numbers of Europeans enslaved by Muslims in contrast with the number of Africans enslaved by Muslims. As someone with a Master's degree you should know how important it is to support your statements.

Why should I be the one with the burden of truth? You were the one who refuted my statement!
Original post by IAmNero
Apparently it is mostly illegal but many companies use it

I find it hard to believe private companies illigaully have positive discrimination policies for women/race out of their own free will. You normally have to force them to do things like that. I guess bigger organisations that want to seem modern like large tech/science companies might be concerned with seeming multicultural and balance of gender.
Can't really take you seriously with that milo yiannopoulos pic. Guy seems to think straight white men are oppressed in today's society - utter bs!
Reply 158
I find it hard to believe private companies illigaully have positive discrimination policies for women/race out of their own free will. You normally have to force them to do things like that. I guess bigger organisations that want to seem modern like large tech/science companies might be concerned with seeming multicultural and balance of gender.

I guess social pressure puts unwritten rules upon them.
Reply 159
Original post by TheMouseyS
Can't really take you seriously with that milo yiannopoulos pic. Guy seems to think straight white men are oppressed in today's society - utter bs!

I didn't actaully claim that. I said that you can be racist to a white person. Have you even read the thread?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending