The Student Room Group

Cambridge students cancel theme party over 'cultural appropriation' fears

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Plagioclase
Ridicule is an absolutely awful way of making someone change their perspective. It's much more likely to make them even more confident in their own beliefs and it's a very petty strategy that requires no intelligence or maturity to pull off. If you think ridicule is an effective debating strategy then I think you need a bit of a lesson in persuasion...

I fear I may have given you the impression that I care whether these idiots ever change their views.

I don't.
Original post by Unkempt_One
Wow slut shaming tsk tsk.

Nope.objectifying women/belittling is poor form. We are more than that.
This is the agricultural uni right?

Yep.
Original post by queen-bee
Nope.objectifying women/belittling is poor form. We are more than that.

He didn't even say anything, calm down woman.
This thread reminded me of something below.

1457727139435.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec
Yep.

What uni is this?
Original post by generallee
I fear I may have given you the impression that I care whether these idiots ever change their views.

I don't.

What a lovely person you must be.
What a lovely person you must be.

I'm not sure how you propose to persuade people who's modus operandi is to completely ignore and censor anything that approaches being contradictory to their views.
I'm not sure how you propose to persuade people who's modus operandi is to completely ignore and censor anything that approaches being contradictory to their views.

First of all, even if you've given up on trying to change their views, that doesn't give you the excuse to be vile to them. Secondly, if there is a way of changing their views, it's through education and sensible debate. If you treat people with respect and dignity then they'll be much more willing to listen to you.
What uni is this?

Harper Adams. I'm guessing you have never heard of it.
I have a genuine question. Why do people feel it's okay to mock and ridicule somebody else's culture? Do they get some sort satisfaction? I don't get it
First of all, even if you've given up on trying to change their views, that doesn't give you the excuse to be vile to them. Secondly, if there is a way of changing their views, it's through education and sensible debate. If you treat people with respect and dignity then they'll be much more willing to listen to you.

That isn't how SUs and the NUS work. They prefer no-platforming or simply not debating.

Harassment and threats (as often happens) are vile. Mockery is not.

As for your second point, I agree in principle but these people really have made themselves completely unapproachable. They have a reputation for essentially shouting down and shutting out anything remotely contradictory to their central principles. Certain individuals might be approachable but a censorious movement is essentially censorious and uncompromising. I'd put them on par with extremists in terms of how warped their views are.
Reply 253
I think they should be allowed to get on with their party and have fun I don't see a problem with white kids who've got dreadlocks dressing up as african kings and if the white girl with blonde hair and blue eyes would like to wear germanys national costume thats fine too. Whats wrong with dressing up and enjoying yourself?

The people who think there's something wrong with that are just being prejudiced against a certain kind of fun people enjoy doing.
(edited 8 years ago)
I have a genuine question. Why do people feel it's okay to mock and ridicule somebody else's culture? Do they get some sort satisfaction? I don't get it

What if the culture involves not allowing women to have driver's licenses?
Harassment and threats (as often happens) are vile. Mockery is not.As for your second point, I agree in principle but these people really have made themselves completely unapproachable. They have a reputation for essentially shouting down and shutting out anything remotely contradictory to their central principles. Certain individuals might be approachable but a censorious movement is essentially censorious and uncompromising. I'd put them on par with extremists in terms of how warped their views are.
Mockery is not a nice thing. Mockery and harassment are also not necessarily mutually exclusive. I honestly believe that the number of people who have made themselves totally unapproachable is low. They're generally intelligent people who think what they do because they believe it's the right thing, which I understand because my views used to be similar. If I can change my mind then they can too.
Original post by DiddyDec
For someone who tells others to go back and read, you should take your own advice.I said positive discrimination is bad.

And I've explained to you why positive discrimination isn't bad, for the exact same reasons why the forms of discrimination you agree are acceptable aren't bad.
Mockery is not a nice thing. Mockery and harassment are also not necessarily mutually exclusive. I honestly believe that the number of people who have made themselves totally unapproachable is low. They're generally intelligent people who think what they do because they believe it's the right thing, which I understand because my views used to be similar. If I can change my mind then they can too.

No, mockery is not a nice thing. But mockery is neutral, mockery is not threatening. Mockery can be coloured with malice but not necessarily. I think the mockery directed towards student censors is more out of incredulity then genuine malice.

As for making themselves totally unapproachable, you're probably right, but try thinking about it from a signalling perspective. You think it might be possible to have civil discussions with the other side; the return signal they give is banning Julie Bindle.
What if the culture involves not allowing women to have driver's licenses?

That should be tackled in a positive way that does not involve mockery
That should be tackled in a positive way that does not involve mockery

Yeah but it's not the job of the average forum dweller to be at the negotiation table with politicians and lawmakers.
Yeah but it's not the job of the average forum dweller to be at the negotiation table with politicians and lawmakers.

So what is your job? To mock?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending