The Student Room Group

Glasgow Medical School Applicants 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

For anyone concerned about not getting in first time, taking a gap year and trying again isn't as bad as you think. This is my second attempt applying for medicine after I got 4 rejections last year (I now have an offer at mcr). You learn and develop so much whilst spending a year working in the real world as opposed to the bubble of school and uni- I think it definitely shows in the interviews as well. For me, it has improved my self-confidence massively and will probably make you a better doctor in the long run so be resilient.
Original post by Fsinclair
I really like the city (so many good gigs :tongue:) and I have family there but the PBL would be the main draw, how about you?

uum yeh I agree the PBL is not a bad system but I think S.t Andrews is even better as you get to experience two different types of medical schools and teaching. I would be happy to go to either one.
Original post by st nick
uum yeh I agree the PBL is not a bad system but I think S.t Andrews is even better as you get to experience two different types of medical schools and teaching. I would be happy to go to either one.

St. A's anatomy is also amazing and really good luck for Glasgow and St. A! :smile::tongue:
Original post by Matthew_K
For anyone concerned about not getting in first time, taking a gap year and trying again isn't as bad as you think. This is my second attempt applying for medicine after I got 4 rejections last year (I now have an offer at mcr). You learn and develop so much whilst spending a year working in the real world as opposed to the bubble of school and uni- I think it definitely shows in the interviews as well. For me, it has improved my self-confidence massively and will probably make you a better doctor in the long run so be resilient.

Yeh Thanks, I know it would be good but I felt I got lucky with my UKCAT last year and I'm not looking forward to do it again. So, could you tell me how you improved your speaking skills cause I thought I was good at speaking but now I'm not so sure.
Original post by Fsinclair
St. A's anatomy is also amazing and really good luck for Glasgow and St. A! :smile::tongue:

Thanks and you too, go for the full house :wink:
Original post by MedialEpicondyle
Congrats guys! Out of interest, what letter does your surname begin with?

My last name begins with Z (I'm not even trolling)
Original post by st nick
Yeh Thanks, I know it would be good but I felt I got lucky with my UKCAT last year and I'm not looking forward to do it again. So, could you tell me how you improved your speaking skills cause I thought I was good at speaking but now I'm not so sure.

I'll be honest I hated having to go through the stress of applying to medical school all over again( really glad it's all done now)- with the Uckat it just kind of comes down to how you do on the day. I've spent this year teaching maths and science in secondary schools so I guess that's how I've improved my communcation skills. So, try and get a job (doesn't have to be medically realted) that involves interacting with different people on a daily basis. You can talk about it in the interview but also helps you feel more relaxed talking to complete strangers.
I'll be honest I hated having to go through the stress of applying to medical school all over again( really glad it's all done now)- with the Uckat it just kind of comes down to how you do on the day. I've spent this year teaching maths and science in secondary schools so I guess that's how I've improved my communcation skills. So, try and get a job (doesn't have to be medically realted) that involves interacting with different people on a daily basis. You can talk about it in the interview but also helps you feel more relaxed talking to complete strangers.

Great advice, well done on your offer :h:
Original post by st nick
Great advice, well done on your offer :h:

thanks I hope you get in!
Are these offers just coming through track?
thanks I hope you get in!

Thanks, I will give it my all and develop as a person as well, I've got the mentality.
Original post by duncanrit
Are these offers just coming through track?

First on track then shortly after by email.
Any RUK offers yet?? So on edge waiting
Original post by hopefull-medic
Any RUK offers yet?? So on edge waiting

I don't believe there have been any. I have been watching the thread pretty carefully and haven't noticed any. I'm RUK and still waiting :confused::confused:
Reply 1514
Original post by st nick
First on track then shortly after by email.

I would suggest training your mind to think in a different prose. People normally speak the way they think, that translates at interviews and can hold you back.

I could go into the psychology of interviews if you like and explain what I mean above.

Basically we are social animals, as social animals we want to like one another. We do this through a process called social mirroring. People's ability to make friends and work within a group is directly related to their ability to accurately reflect the person they are communicating too.

So in an interview you will be speaking with people whose minds work in a certain way and communicate in that way. Your job at interview is to echo that style effectively but not falsely.

We all mostly do this subconsciously; it's part of social easing but from your message something jumped out; "speaking skills", I know it's a small example but an interviewer would expect that to be termed as communication skills and little slip ups like that can ruin an interview as they form a disconnect between you and the person you're communicating with.

My advice, get a placement in a hospital or a GP's surgery and hang out with the doctors. Get used to how they communicate with each other.

Don't artificially pretend to talk like them, as above anything, people look for honesty in others and pretending to talk the talk can come across as mocking and offensive, however just through being with doctors, you'll pick up the language and the bodily cues which will help you a lot in interview.

Hope that helps.
Original post by Torel
I would suggest training your mind to think in a different prose. People normally speak the way they think, that translates at interviews and can hold you back.

I could go into the psychology of interviews if you like and explain what I mean above.

Basically we are social animals, as social animals we want to like one another. We do this through a process called social mirroring. People's ability to make friends and work within a group is directly related to their ability to accurately reflect the person they are communicating too.

So in an interview you will be speaking with people whose minds work in a certain way and communicate in that way. Your job at interview is to echo that style effectively but not falsely.

We all mostly do this subconsciously; it's part of social easing but from your message something jumped out; "speaking skills", I know it's a small example but an interviewer would expect that to be termed as communication skills and little slip ups like that can ruin an interview as they form a disconnect between you and the person you're communicating with.

My advice, get a placement in a hospital or a GP's surgery and hang out with the doctors. Get used to how they communicate with each other.

Don't artificially pretend to talk like them, as above anything, people look for honesty in others and pretending to talk the talk can come across as mocking and offensive, however just through being with doctors, you'll pick up the language and the bodily cues which will help you a lot in interview.

Hope that helps.

That's plenty.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone received an international offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dundee or Glasgow.
Thoughts?
Aberdeen or Glasgow ...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any england offers yet?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending