The Student Room Group

Differential Equation banter

You have the differential equation below. Prove the thing next to that. I can't do it so don't ask me for help, have fun xx

Edit: I now know how to do it. Alas, I still will not help to be evil
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

:colondollar:
*Quietly returns to basic C4*
Original post by Gome44
You have the differential equation below. Prove the thing next to that. I can't do it so don't ask me for help, have fun xx

Spoiler

This reminds me of the pendulum equation maybe??
Original post by Serine Soul
*Quietly returns to basic C4*

Random... But Audrey is a goddess

Spoiler

Original post by Student403
Random... But Audrey is a goddess

Spoiler

PRSOM

She's my WCW everyday :love:

I genuinely aspire to be like her :colondollar:
Original post by Serine Soul
PRSOM

She's my WCW everyday :love:

I genuinely aspire to be like her :colondollar:

That's awesome :awesome:
Reply 8
Original post by Louisb19
This reminds me of the pendulum equation maybe??

Its a quadratically damped pendulum
Reply 9
Original post by atsruser

Spoiler

Not the way I've been told to do it, but it looks like that would work :smile:
Original post by Gome44

Surely just solve it in the usual way: form the characteristic equation, guess a particular integral, etc.
ayy lmao
is this FP2? two dots above the theta means second-order differential of theta right?
I think for OCR MEI it would be in the DE module, and other boards (aka boring ones) it would be in FP3.
And yes, two dots means second derivative. It's a notation invented by Newton that's used mainly in mechanics.
Original post by ConstatSententia
I think for OCR MEI it would be in the DE module, and other boards (aka boring ones) it would be in FP3.
And yes, two dots means second derivative. It's a notation invented by Newton that's used mainly in mechanics.

Nope, sadly despite the name OCR MEI's DE module is surprisingly bare. Only very basic things and it's obsessed with modelling rather than solving harder DEs.
(edited 8 years ago)
Surely just solve it in the usual way: form the characteristic equation, guess a particular integral, etc.

Nope, be carful you have sinθ \sin{\theta} .

It's only solvable in terms of elliptic integrals I think (this is not what Gnome is asking for however).
(edited 8 years ago)

2nd order ODEs are covered in FP2 for Edexcel. You can't solve this with the methods that you learn at A-Level anyway.
Nope, be carful you have sinθ \sin{\theta} .

It's only solvable in terms of elliptic integrals I think (this is not what Gnome is asking for however).

2nd order ODEs are covered in FP2 for Edexcel. You can't solve this with the methods that you learn at A-Level anyway.

Mathematica says it's unsolvable.
Mathematica says it's unsolvable.

It is but only in terms of elliptic integrals.

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/classical/pendulum.pdf
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/EllipticIntegraloftheFirstKind.html

The question he is asking is not about solving it though so it doesn't matter :smile:.

By the way the revolution is dead mate.
(edited 8 years ago)

nunc exibo quia mathematica pervecta nescio.
Reply 19
It is but only in terms of elliptic integrals.

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/classical/pendulum.pdf
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/EllipticIntegraloftheFirstKind.html

The question he is asking is not about solving it though so it doesn't matter :smile:.

By the way the revolution is dead mate.

While the normal pendulum equation is solvable with elliptic integrals, the quadratically damped pendulum is not unfortunately.

Only numerical methods can be used to evaluate t at certain theta (incidentally I took this from one of my Matlab projects)

Quick Reply

Latest