The Student Room Group

Why does the media depict intersex people as transsexuals?

I don't get that. I have seen like this happen in several avenues. One that gets on my nerve a lot is a specific movie that talks about someone as if they're transgender when they were suffering from an intersex condition. And no one corrects this. As if it doesn't matter. Because intersex people aren't as visible doesn't mean people who are have to be transgender. it's so ignorant.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by nrb17
I don't get that. I have seen like this happen in several avenues. One that gets on my nerve a lot is a specific movie that talks about someone as if they're transgender when they were suffering from an intersex condition. And no one corrects this. As if it doesn't matter. Because intersex people aren't as visible doesn't mean people who are have to be transgender. it's so ignorant.

The medical term is transexual
Reply 2
Original post by IAmNero
The medical term is transexual

not for people with intersex conditions. They can't be transsexual because they are both male and female. You can't transition to something you were always genetically. That's what irks me. There was a movie out about a historical figure who was intersex who got treatment for it and they depicted as if she was transitioning from male to female. When she was just getting treated for a condition she happened to have.
Reply 3
Original post by nrb17
not for people with intersex conditions. They can't be transsexual because they are both male and female. You can't transition to something you were always genetically. That's what irks me. There was a movie out about a historical figure who was intersex who got treatment for it and they depicted as if she was transitioning from male to female. When she was just getting treated for a condition she happened to have.

This is the kind of thing you see on Tumblr.

Look, physically, there are two genders, male and female.

Neurologically, there are three, Male, female and transgendered.

That is biology. And besides, the MEDIA IS RIGHT, the definition is
denoting or relating to a person whose self-identity does not conform unambiguously to conventional notions of male or female gender.
Reply 4
Original post by IAmNero

denoting or relating to a person whose self-identity does not conform unambiguously to conventional notions of male or female gender.

Do you know what intersex is?

It's not something in your head? It's when you have a body that is both male and female. Like xxy chromosomes or a penis and a vagina. You can not be transgender when you are already genetically female and male. I can not transition to live as a woman when I am a female. Get it?
Original post by IAmNero

Transgender probably doesn't mean inter-sex consider it is trans, as in the opposite of cis.

If someone was born with both genitalia, how does it make them trans?
Original post by IAmNero

:facepalm:

Spoiler

Reply 7
Original post by Dinasaurus
Transgender probably doesn't mean inter-sex consider it is trans, as in the opposite of cis.

If someone was born with both genitalia, how does it make them trans?

Original post by Bad Faith
:facepalm:

Spoiler

Heamaphrodite would be better.
Original post by IAmNero

My argument was not what term would be better, it was simply to state that they are clearly not trans.
Reply 9
Original post by Dinasaurus
My argument was not what term would be better, it was simply to state that they are clearly not trans.

I know, I was misreading what the OP said
Original post by IAmNero

Regardless, your previous statement is false.
People have moved away from using the term hermaphrodite in regards to humans although it is used for other organisms.
Original post by IAmNero
I know, I was misreading what the OP said

:s-smilie:

And I had no idea the two were being confused.
Reply 12
Original post by IAmNero

because not all intersex people have actually both male and female genitalia. Like with some it's only on a chromosomal level.
Reply 13
Original post by Bad Faith
Regardless, your previous statement is false.
People have moved away from using the term hermaphrodite in regards to humans although it is used for other organisms.

Original post by nrb17
because not all intersex people have actually both male and female genitalia. Like with some it's only on a chromosomal level.

Bad Faith, I confessed that.

Oh well, I don't think it really matters, make a petition on the governement website if you want ti to change :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by goldbangles
:s-smilie:

And I had no idea the two were being confused.

I see it more of the time now especially when it's not diagnosed when they are born.
Original post by IAmNero

Physically,thee are two sexes: male and female. The word sex in our society is synonymous with gender, but many people consider them to be separate. Gender is defined as "is the range of characteristics pertaining to, and differentiating between, masculinity and femininity", so man or woman, basically. Masculinity and femininity are social constructs, and therefore so is gender. Usually, male = man and female = woman.

Physically, most people are male or female, but there are cases where people have some sort of mixture between male and female genitals, or their genitals don't "match" their chromosomes.

Transgender isn't a separate gender or neurological state, it just means that a person identifies as a gender different to the one they were assumed to have at birth.

You can change your legal sex (i.e. the sex stated on you passport),which I suppose is where the term "transsexual" came from, but not your genetic sex. Most transgender people change their legal sex.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Philbert
Physically,thee are two sexes: male and female. The word sex in our society is synonymous with gender, but many people consider them to be separate. Gender is defined as "is the range of characteristics pertaining to, and differentiating between, masculinity and femininity", so man or woman, basically. Masculinity and femininity are social constructs, and therefore so is gender.

Physically, most people are male or female, but there are cases where people have some sort of mixture between male and female genitals, or their genitals don't "match" their chromosomes.

Transgender isn't a separate gender, or neurological state, it just means that a person identifies as a gender different to the one they were assumed to have at birth.

When you said social construct the rest of your argument became rubbish to me
Original post by IAmNero
When you said social construct the rest of your argument became rubbish to me

Why's that then? If you're not willing to consider and debate different viewpoints, why did you participate in this thread?
Reply 18
Original post by Philbert
Physically,thee are two sexes: male and female. The word sex in our society is synonymous with gender, but many people consider them to be separate. Gender is defined as "is the range of characteristics pertaining to, and differentiating between, masculinity and femininity", so man or woman, basically. Masculinity and femininity are social constructs, and therefore so is gender. Usually, male = man and female = woman.

Transgender isn't a separate gender or neurological state, it just means that a person identifies as a gender different to the one they were assumed to have at birth.

You can change your legal sex (i.e. the sex stated on you passport),which I suppose is where the term "transsexual" came from, but not your genetic sex. Most transgender people change their legal sex.

no there are three sexes. You can be born with both male and female genitalia.
Original post by nrb17
no there are three sexes. You can be born with both male and female genitalia.

That's known as intersex. I don't think it's medically considerd a different sex, but I could be wrong. I don't think it's possible to have completely separate and fully formed male and female reproductive systems. It's usually somewhere between male and female genitals e.g. a very enlarged clitoris or small penis and internal testes.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending