The Student Room Group

Why don't people vape instead of smoke?

I don't get why I still see people smoke normal cigarettes instead of vape:

- It's much less dangerous to health to you and those around you.
- It doesn't stink out you and everyone around you.
- It seems to be cheaper.
- It doesn't have the stigma/unattractiveness of being seen smoking.
- Apparently you get the same, or similar, sensation/nicotine fix.

Scroll to see replies

Because vaping has become a trend for sad teenagers who think it's cool, and has therefore given it a terrible image.

At our school we mock people who vape because all the 'chavs' and people who mess about at school do it.
Thought this said 'Why don't people rape instead of smoke' and detected a slight imbalance of priorities

The difference is surely psychological. Vaping doesn't satisfy the psychological addiction of smoking for many people and the psychological addiction is the most powerful

I also feel the need to point out that nicotine is not the physically addictive element of cigarettes. Nicotine is not itself very addictive at all.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
And there was me thinking 'vape' was an alternative means of saying 'vaginal rape' :facepalm:
Original post by lustawny
And there was me thinking 'vape' was an alternative means of saying 'vaginal rape' :facepalm:

i like your avatar gif, +1
Reply 5
Original post by Mayhem™
i like your avatar gif, +1

The only thing missing from it is the second 'L' in successfully. Fallible technology, though. You can't knock it.

Yeah, but you would think that.
Reply 7
Believe it or not health risks are part of what makes smoking associated with masculinity and power, men take risks, don't need approval from others and keep calm under pressure, nicotine addiction will reverse the benefits but if used wisely it's nowhere near as bad as the smoking is doom brigade think.
Probably because they think vaping won't give them the same hit or satisfaction that smoking gives them, and a lot of people probably don't know where to start with regards to liquid, mods and coils etc. That and the fact you need to actually spend good money on a decent vape.

OP is right though, vaping is far better and cheaper than cigarettes.

@DiddyDec
probably now because all these hipsters have started vaping and now adults/everyone else wouldn't want to look like idiots

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by whorace
Believe it or not health risks are part of what makes smoking associated with masculinity and power, men take risks, don't need approval from others and keep calm under pressure, nicotine addiction will reverse the benefits but if used wisely it's nowhere near as bad as the smoking is doom brigade think.

Is this sarcasm at its finest or is this how you truly feel
Original post by Lady Comstock
I don't get why I still see people smoke normal cigarettes instead of vape:

- It's much less dangerous to health to you and those around you.
- It doesn't stink out you and everyone around you.
- It seems to be cheaper.
- It doesn't have the stigma/unattractiveness of being seen smoking.
- Apparently you get the same, or similar, sensation/nicotine fix.

No it doesn't, I both smoke and vape (only when I can't smoke, though), vaping doesn't feel half as good as smoking does. Cost, smell etc. are beside the point when you don't get the same feeling.
Original post by TheArtofProtest
Taking a **** has character. It has an identifiable smell. It has history.

When you take a ****, you are following in the footsteps of many a great man that has come before you.

Sorry but I couldn't resist. See edits. :wink:
Reply 13
Original post by xobeauty
Is this sarcasm at its finest or is this how you truly feel

Both. This is how smoking has been marketed for a century, it might surprise you to find out the first anti-smoking campaign was led by none other than Nazi Germany. I'm not saying health effects are not serious, but in a free country people should be able to do unhealthy things (and they do a lot worse than smoking, when's the last time you ate fast food?)

Pleasure is more important than health, being healthy for no reason is like keeping a fridge for 5 years longer than usual and celebrating even though you haven't put anything in it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by 0123456543210
No it doesn't, I both smoke and vape (only when I can't smoke, though), vaping doesn't feel half as good as smoking does. Cost, smell etc. are beside the point when you don't get the same feeling.

Just asking but what vape are you using?
Original post by whorace
Both. This is how smoking has been marketed for a century, it might surprise you to find out the first anti-smoking campaign was led by none other than Nazi Germany. I'm not saying health effects are not serious, but in a free country people should be able to do unhealthy things (and they do a lot worse than smoking, when's the last time you ate fast food?)

Pleasure is more important than health, being healthy for no reason is like keeping a fridge for 5 years longer than usual and celebrating even though you haven't put anything in it.

Well if smoking is seen as masculine that doesn't make sense because of the reasons why people actually smoke. Eating fast food is worse then smoking?

Tbh so did I until a few days ago

Vaping smells nice though
Original post by Wilfred Little
Just asking but what vape are you using?

I recently got myself a 70w Kbox, that's a month after I lost my Kbox mini :angry:. It's pretty great for its price, as I got it for approx £35, plus Innokin iSub G tank which also wasn't expensive. Works perfectly, but I'm thinking about getting an RDA (cuz dem clouds innit).
Original post by 0123456543210
I recently got myself a 70w Kbox, that's a month after I lost my Kbox mini :angry:. It's pretty great for its price, as I got it for approx £35, plus Innokin iSub G tank which also wasn't expensive. Works perfectly, but I'm thinking about getting an RDA (cuz dem clouds innit).

Ah right, half decent then. Just wanted to ask because I've seen smokers who've used cheap stick vapes and been put off by those.

I use a Sigelei 75w, with a Nautilus Mini tank. Dunno if it's top notch, I just took someone else's word for it tbh.
Either way your killing yourself faster but hey :rip: to your future :laugh:

Quick Reply

Latest