The Student Room Group

Should I continue self teaching AS maths?

Ive been self teaching AS maths for the past 3 months or so ,and I'm finding it fairly easy but Ive been having far too many distractions/problems which have resulted in me still being on chapter 4 of C1 and chapter 2 of C2 and not starting S1.

So is there any point me continuing despite only 4 months left till the first exam.
Thanks
Original post by Khalid.X
Ive been self teaching AS maths for the past 3 months or so ,and I'm finding it fairly easy but Ive been having far too many distractions/problems which have resulted in me still being on chapter 4 of C1 and chapter 2 of C2 and not starting S1.

So is there any point me continuing despite only 4 months left till the first exam.
Thanks

Have you entered yourself for the exam and paid for it? Would this be the 4th AS subject that you would drop at A2 anyway? :smile:
Original post by Khalid.X

Thanks

well if you focus and with easter coming up and everything, you could easily have C1 and C2 done by the end of march. then two weeks for S1 (because its literally half of the gcse repeated) and youre done mid april at the latest
Reply 3
I think you should continue teaching it to yourself. Currently at school I have completed c1 but still have half of c2 to complete. We won't be starting s1 till after Easter. Don't give up. One solid week of revising will mean you will get c1 completed.
Reply 4
At college we finished c1 , halfway through c2 and same for m1
Original post by DylanJ42
well if you focus and with easter coming up and everything, you could easily have C1 and C2 done by the end of march. then two weeks for S1 (because its literally half of the gcse repeated) and youre done mid april at the latest

:O so is AS year not that hard? (As in covered in GCSE but gradually getting harder)
I self taught most of my Maths modules using books and ExamSolutions Youtube channel. Managed to get A* so hardly makes a difference in my opinion
Original post by geniequeen48
:O so is AS year not that hard? (As in covered in GCSE but gradually getting harder)

its really quite manageable, if you're getting a good A at gcse youll most likely get an A in AS
its really quite manageable, if you're getting a good A at gcse youll most likely get an A in AS

Wow hmm okay. How demanding is it? In terms of homework etc.
Wow hmm okay. How demanding is it? In terms of homework etc.

depends how good you are i suppose :laugh: zero homework if youre really good and probably 1 hour or so per night if you scraped into the alevel class

sorry but i cant really give you an answer ,maths isnt like history/english/geography where no matter how good you are you still have to write essays for homework etc. People probably get 98+UMS in maths without doing any homeworks for the whole 2 years, it really just depends on how good you are
depends how good you are i suppose :laugh: zero homework if youre really good and probably 1 hour or so per night if you scraped into the alevel class

sorry but i cant really give you an answer ,maths isnt like history/english/geography where no matter how good you are you still have to write essays for homework etc. People probably get 98+UMS in maths without doing any homeworks for the whole 2 years, it really just depends on how good you are

Which combination do you think is better? Chem, bio, maths (AS) and english lit or chem, bio, english lit and spanish, or chem, bio, spanish and maths(AS) ?
Which combination do you think is better? Chem, bio, maths (AS) and english lit or chem, bio, english lit and spanish, or chem, bio, spanish and maths(AS) ?

definitely the wrong person to ask here because I really dislike english, so my answer will be a little biased :laugh: depends what you want to do though, there's no set in stone best combination of alevels...

Spoiler

definitely the wrong person to ask here because I really dislike english, so my answer will be a little biased :laugh: depends what you want to do though, there's no set in stone best combination of alevels...

Spoiler

Medicine or something related to that?
Medicine or something related to that?

never really looked into medicine but i would assume maths is a stronger subject to have than english lit or spanish, but then again if you get 4 A*s at alevel who really cares what youre studying :laugh: if you like maths and think you can get an A/A* then I would consider doing it, however if you like engliish lit and spanish more then thats probably fine too
never really looked into medicine but i would assume maths is a stronger subject to have than english lit or spanish, but then again if you get 4 A*s at alevel who really cares what youre studying :laugh: if you like maths and think you can get an A/A* then I would consider doing it, however if you like engliish lit and spanish more then thats probably fine too

Hmm okay I'll have a think about it, thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest