The Student Room Group

C2 Trig: proving identities

How dfq does(1-sin^2x)+2sinx equal 2-(sin^2x-2sinx+1)?

It doesn't make any sense at all. Can anyone give me a method I could use? thx :d
Original post by CookieHero

It doesn't make any sense at all. Can anyone give me a method I could use? thx :d

2-(sin^2x-2sinx+1) = 2 - sin^2x + 2 sinx - 1 = 1 - sin^2x + 2 sin x, as required.
Reply 2
Original post by CookieHero

It's a simple manipulation, they've simply added one, then subtracted it again. So:
(1sin2(x))+2sin(x)=[1(sin2(x)2sin(x))]+11=(2sin2(x)+2sin(x)+1)(1-\sin^2(x))+2\sin(x)=[1-(\sin^2(x)-2\sin(x))]+1-1=(2-\sin^2(x)+2\sin(x)+1).
Original post by joostan
It's a simple manipulation, they've simply added one, then subtracted it again. So:
(1sin2(x))+2sin(x)=[1(sin2(x)2sin(x))]+11=(2sin2(x)+2sin(x)+1)(1-\sin^2(x))+2\sin(x)=[1-(\sin^2(x)-2\sin(x))]+1-1=(2-\sin^2(x)+2\sin(x)+1).

My method of starting from the RHS is far simpler as it doesn't require seeing the "trick" of adding 1 etc.
Original post by ConstatSententia
My method of starting from the RHS is far simpler as it doesn't require seeing the "trick" of adding 1 etc.

He used LaTeX though so his looks way cooler.
Reply 5
Original post by ConstatSententia

If this is the entirety of the identity I agree, I was however assuming that this is one step in a more complicated identity, in which case manipulating the first expression into the second may be a priority.
Original post by joostan
If this is the entirety of the identity I agree, I was however assuming that this is one step in a more complicated identity, in which case manipulating the first expression into the second may be a priority.

noli sine ratione rem postulare.
Reply 7
Thanks for your help everyone :biggrin::biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest