The Student Room Group

uni students - do you ever feel like theres too much to remember?

i feel like my head is crammed with so much information (mostly from the text books) that its just making me feel the degree is useless because i just cant remember it all :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Sometimes, yes :comsole: I think the key to success is doing work over time, keeping on top of everything rather than cramming it in at the end.
Reply 2
Original post by SeanFM
Sometimes, yes :comsole: I think the key to success is doing work over time, keeping on top of everything rather than cramming it in at the end.

thats the thing though, i dont cram it in at the end, i space it out :frown:
i think its partly because i havent learnt all the lingo which makes the chapters in the text book quite confusing. i often thing "wtf does that mean" purely because i cant remember what the phrase/lingo means
Maybe you need to go for a lesser relevant course (nurse or bachelor in arts) or maybe pursue a degree in a lower ranked university :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by TaintedLight
Maybe you need to go for a lesser relevant course (nurse or bachelor in arts) or maybe pursue a degree in a lower ranked university :smile:

im doing a bachelor degree. i understand the content mostly, its just remember the copious amounts of varied lingo with each module
Reply 5
Depends on what you're studying, I guess. If you space out the stuff, and revise along a timetable set in accordance with your learning curves - then you can't find it any more easier than that...
Yep, all the time.
Reply 7
Original post by Sciatic
Depends on what you're studying, I guess. If you space out the stuff, and revise along a timetable set in accordance with your learning curves - then you can't find it any more easier than that...

business management but at the moment the module is finance which i am quite bad at (my grades reflect this)

Original post by SophieSmall
Yep, all the time.

im SO glad its not just me!
Reply 8
google is your friend remember shawtb, try to look up when you don't know what a word means. i know there is a lot, but no body said it was going to be easy!
Original post by shawtyb
business management but at the moment the module is finance which i am quite bad at (my grades reflect this)

im SO glad its not just me!

It's definitely not just you, almost everyone on my course I speak to feels the same.
Original post by shawtyb
im doing a bachelor degree. i understand the content mostly, its just remember the copious amounts of varied lingo with each module

What bachelor degree? if you can understand the content why would it be difficult to remember the technical terms? Consider writing your notes instead of reading or typing them 🎓
Reply 11
Original post by john2054
google is your friend remember shawtb, try to look up when you don't know what a word means. i know there is a lot, but no body said it was going to be easy!

oh i know it wouldnt be easy, its just for a part time student, im doing full time student amounts. iv got like 5 different books for writing in for differnet things like one specifically for lingo etc, one for lectures, another for this and another for that if you get what i mean, its literally just finding the time to sit down and do it all and keep it all updated.
Reply 12
Original post by SophieSmall
It's definitely not just you, almost everyone on my course I speak to feels the same.

its quite comforting lol

Original post by TaintedLight
What bachelor degree? if you can understand the content why would it be difficult to remember the technical terms? Consider writing your notes instead of reading or typing them 🎓

BA honours in business management. its difficult because theres so much and it progresses quite quickly. dont get me wrong, i do remember alot of the technical terms, but theres a handful that just wont sink in. and yes i do write my notes (mentioned in the post above)
Original post by shawtyb
its quite comforting lol

BA honours in business management. its difficult because theres so much and it progresses quite quickly. dont get me wrong, i do remember alot of the technical terms, but theres a handful that just wont sink in. and yes i do write my notes (mentioned in the post above)

What year are you in shawtyb? I have also completed three years full time and two years part time, of my degree. And sometimes it can seem to get the better of you. My best advice would be to keep one folder per subject, or pad, and write everything in that. Buying another one if it all becomes full.

Are you also keeping on top of the reading? I also like to buy my own books, in order for me to write all over them, thus saving me the cost of extra writing paper, and giving me easy access to revision notes, when needed. Is this your first year. Please learn to budget your time and resources better, by not writing down or reading every single text set. Otherwise you may fall behind and struggle to keep up.

Also try to do at least one piece of reading every day, perhaps a chapter of an academic book. And if you pace the work out like this, you should do fine.

Lastly good luck!
Reply 14
What year are you in shawtyb? I have also completed three years full time and two years part time, of my degree. And sometimes it can seem to get the better of you. My best advice would be to keep one folder per subject, or pad, and write everything in that. Buying another one if it all becomes full.

Are you also keeping on top of the reading? I also like to buy my own books, in order for me to write all over them, thus saving me the cost of extra writing paper, and giving me easy access to revision notes, when needed. Is this your first year. Please learn to budget your time and resources better, by not writing down or reading every single text set. Otherwise you may fall behind and struggle to keep up.

Also try to do at least one piece of reading every day, perhaps a chapter of an academic book. And if you pace the work out like this, you should do fine.

Lastly good luck!

Hi, I'm first year, heading in to my second year in a week :smile:
Iv got one folder per module and inside each folder is separate folders for each unit so I'm already with you on that.
Iv got text books to annotate on my shelf and iv got other text books provided online with an edit option and an option for note making so I can annotate that way as well so that's no issue.
I try to aim for at least half a chapter a day but with kids it's hard as I have to keep stopping. Having had swine flu has significantly slowed me down for the past 2 weeks admittedly though so my reading is quite behind but I'm catching up
this is how my course feels like exactly!

Reply 16
Original post by trapking
this is how my course feels like exactly!

Ha!!! Omg this is so accurate
Original post by shawtyb
Hi, I'm first year, heading in to my second year in a week :smile:
Iv got one folder per module and inside each folder is separate folders for each unit so I'm already with you on that.
Iv got text books to annotate on my shelf and iv got other text books provided online with an edit option and an option for note making so I can annotate that way as well so that's no issue.
I try to aim for at least half a chapter a day but with kids it's hard as I have to keep stopping. Having had swine flu has significantly slowed me down for the past 2 weeks admittedly though so my reading is quite behind but I'm catching up

just skim read, if you don't have time to read fully. it is better than nothing x
Reply 18
just skim read, if you don't have time to read fully. it is better than nothing x

i skim the bits with the technical terms i dont understand lool
Also try to make 100% attendance. I know having a family makes this more difficult, but this is even more a reason why it is important to have secure and reliable childcare arrangements in place, for when you need to study and at other times.

I also have a daughter and a wife, so i know about time management!

Quick Reply

Latest