The Student Room Group

Guitars or Keyboards?

This poll is closed

Guitar or keyboards which do you prefer?

Guitar 86%
Keyboards14%
Total votes: 22
Which do you prefer? Do you like the sound of guitars or are you more electronic on that score? IMO keyboards are king.
Guitars, I think there is a greater range in sound and therefore you can explore the instrument at a greater scale.
Also, who doesn't like the sound of a guitar riff? :sexface:
Guitars! Can't beat a good guitar solo :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by Mayhem™
Guitars, I think there is a greater range in sound and therefore you can explore the instrument at a greater scale.
Also, who doesn't like the sound of a guitar riff? :sexface:

Original post by Leviathan1741
Guitars! Can't beat a good guitar solo :biggrin:

I admit I like guitar riffs and solo's but a keyboard can do just about anything with a sampler. They make guitars look and sound old fashioned.
Original post by N-R-G
I admit I like guitar riffs and solo's but a keyboard can do just about anything with a sampler. They make guitars look and sound old fashioned.

I'm into 'retro' :smile:
Keyboards just don't make the satisfying crunch that a good guitar riff has.
Original post by N-R-G

Electric guitars ftw.
I don't see you doing pinch harmonics on your little keys anytime soon XD.
Reply 7
Original post by Mayhem™
I'm into 'retro' :smile:

Retro is cool - the future is amazing you should try it sometime oh and this is pretty retro ....>>>>>>>>>>>>>[video="youtube;_o1pOGc-zS0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o1pOGc-zS0[/video]
Reply 8
Guitar
Reply 9
[video="youtube;ye5BuYf8q4o"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye5BuYf8q4o[/video]

5 seconds in and there's no doubt about the answer to your question.
Guitars only give you one kind of sound. It's diverse, but it's all the same musical style. Keyboards give you so much more.
Original post by Nuclear Ghost
Guitars only give you one kind of sound. It's diverse, but it's all the same musical style. Keyboards give you so much more.

Such as?

That may be, but no synthetic sound measures up to a guitar...
Original post by DJMayes
Such as?

Compare Gary Numan to Daft Punk, or Röyksopp with MWC, and you get so many unique and astonishing styles and sounds, from dark, uneasy reverbs to light and fresh dubs. Compare Eddie van Halen with James Hetfield, and all you get is lighter riffs with heavier riffs.
Original post by Alexion
That may be, but no synthetic sound measures up to a guitar...

Strongly disagree. My above details exemplify this.
Compare Gary Numan to Daft Punk, or Röyksopp with MWC, and you get so many unique and astonishing styles and sounds, from dark, uneasy reverbs to light and fresh dubs. Compare Eddie van Halen with James Hetfield, and all you get is lighter riffs with heavier riffs.

Meh, it's all opinion.

Compare everything to proper 4-piece rock bands (guitars, bass and drums) and you can't beat that imo

Which Van Halen song? Which Metallica song?

I can think of multiple permutations off the top of my head with very distinct tones coming simply from their most popular songs. Hell, just from a single Metallica song - Battery - I can find plenty of variation.

If we branch out into other bands, tunings, and so on then we can do even better - try comparing some R.E.M. song to something of Slayer.
Guitar. I love everything from Trey Azagthoth's riffage on Altars Of Madness to Uli Jon Roth's fretboard mastery on his Sky Overture. I grew-up playing the piano and keyboards but switched to the guitar around the age of 11, I still love the piano but feel I can express myself way more on the guitar.

Because you're comparing in broadly the same genre... Guitars are far more versatile than you're giving them credit for; you wouldn't say Johnny Cash and Megadeth are the same sound with different levels of distortion for instance.
You can get different tones and noises with both, I guess I'm biased here as I play guitar, it just seems that bit more versatile and the possibilities are endless.

Quick Reply

Latest